• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Removing factory grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Searching through the forum I've read that you need to remove the factory grease prior to shooting a brand new rifle for the first time. I've seen suggestions of kerosene, gasoline, rubbing alcohol, brake cleaner, most of which should not touch the stock. I'm not trying to remove the pins on the barrel if I don't need to so is there a method to using these fluids without ruining the stock?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

You could try something like Hopps#9. Not the one for BP. Other gun cleaners would probably work too as long as not water based. I would think Carb cleaner would be hard on the finish. I myself would remove it from the stock. Just do it carefully.

I always use brake cleaner when I clean oil out of my barrels. Plug the nipple or touch hole and blast away. Dump it out the barrel or pull the plug and tip the gun sideways and let it flow out. If any gets on the stock I just wipe it off. Never had a negative effect on the finish. I always keep a good coat of wax on my stocks so if it knocks it off I just put some back on the wood. Get the chlorine free break cleaner.

Back