• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Do you prefer Real Black Powder or a BP substitute?.........Why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all: in my 50 + years of shooting muzzleloaders I have never used a black powder substitute.
I see numerous posts on this forum about BP substitutes and would like to ask why one would use a BP substitute? I am asking for reasons other than real BP is not available. I am not criticizing anyone who choose to use a sub, just trying to collect thoughts on why? Real black powder always fascinated me with its' characteristics and historical significance, so I never tried a sub.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

I’m the same way Larry. I never used a substitute, even though I bought three or four cans when they were on sale years ago, thinking here may come a day when BP gets even harder to get. To me, Black Powder is the main attraction of the whole muzzleloading hobby, with carrying a wood stocked 5’ long rifle being a close second.

I am asking for reasons other than real BP is not available.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲
Uhmm, yes it is. Call this guy, he has it in stock. I just got 20lb of 3f from him. Folks are whining about shortages, but he doesn't seem to have a problem.

http://blackpowderva.com/
As for the subs, I don't shoot subs because first off, it's against our rules of competition. Second, it's far more abrasive and in guns with shallow rifling, that's a non starter. Third, it's more corrosive than the real deal. You have to clean thoroughly and clean again and maybe one more time for good measure. I just wipe down my competition arms with Windex, follow with several dry patches, then follow with oil patches. No rust or corrosion. Simple and done. I have a friend who was all about Pdex and shot it in his 1858 revolver. He put it up for a few years after the last cleaning (but he only cleaned once that time) and oiling and now the barrel is a sewer. I was there when he did that last cleaning and the entire gun was immersed in very hot soapy water and rinsed thoroughly, dried and then properly oiled and the bore still is toast. Say what you will, I won't shoot subs if at all possible.

I introduced myself to Pyrodex just a few months ago because of this forum, I used RS and P. It works well and have no complaints in the snap caps. If I can continue to get gun powder I will probably not purchase anymore of the substitute. I could see it if I was into a lot of range shooting and I have done that in the past, but now it just squirrel, rabbits and occasional yote. Not much help, but one has to make their own decision on the subject by range and field shooting.
I have been shooting since 71, that's 1971 (not 1871)
Cheers:

I see numerous posts on this forum about BP substitutes and would like to ask why one would use a BP substitute?

I have used Pyrodex.

First, I used it as the county prohibited the storage of more than a pound of black powder in an apartment dwelling, and I lived in an apartment.
Well gee Dave then don't have more than a pound of BP at your house.
AH, but that means I must be completely out of it before I get another pound..., so I can't go to the store and buy a pound while having a flask full of the stuff in my shooting bag.
Well Dave, who's gonna know?
Nobody unless there is a fire, but as an LEO, if they ask me how much I had and I lie, then I'd have lied to an investigator.

Next, I moved to an area where the restriction wasn't that bad, and started using BP, BUT...., the price went pretty high for the stuff in my area. So..., when I started doing BP for Cowboy Action Shooting, I started to reload cartridges and shotshells with pyrodex. I was still using black powder in my flinter though.

Now, I use strictly black powder. Bulk buys save me several $$'s per pound, and that adds up, as when COVID wasn't around I was doing like 6 events at 1 lb. per event, per year, PLUS my other shooting and hunting.

LD

I shoot flinters because of the history nut in me. Using anything other than black powder would be counterproductive to this perceived connection to our ancestors. Maybe silly but that’s why I don’t use substitutes. Oh, and I love that unique stank!

I was given about ten pounds of Pyrodex along with about the same amount of BP last year which along with what I already had in storage is more than I'll shoot in years. The Pyrodex works well in my caplocks but I prefer BP just because it smells right. I also agree with the cleaning problem with the substitute, even after a good scrubbing I had some surface rust pop up in about a week with one of my pistols.

I purchased several pounds of Pyrodex when it first came out years ago and was marketed as the whiz bang product. I still have one pound of it in the rectangular container. I think I may have purchased another pound after the Round plastic bottles came out. Along the way I got a pound or two in miscellaneous garage sale/auction purchases. I may still have a pound or two left. I still occasionally shoot it in revolvers when plinking. I’m too cheap to throw it out. I just pay more attention to cleaning. It ignites fine in a revolver and in my TC Hawken.

I have never had to make the choice with a large GOEX distributor just 12 miles down the road. Back Creek Gun Shop, and in the 45 years I've known Jackie I have never known him to be out of caps and powder when I needed them. I was given some Pyrodex and it's been on the shelf for years. I never had the slightest interest in trying it, even for one shot. If I were in a situation where I could not get black powder I wouldn't hesitate to use a substitute rather than give up shooting. I'm sure I could learn to deal with its shortcomings.

I started using it because it was all that was available where I lived at the time. I now have the real stuff but also am too cheap to just get rid of it. When it is gone I will probably use the real stuff as long as I can get it. There are a few places I can get it now. Not close but close enough for a day trip.

My BIL got me involved in reenacting so many moons back I have difficulty remembering. Everyone used black powder so that's what I did, never looked back. Besides eventually some of use became very authentic and bringing a PB substitute to an event would have resulted in a storm of ridicule and derision being heaped upon the offender's head.

The N-SSA doesn't allow the use of substitutes which is fine by me. When the buzzer sounds to start an event and the first volley goes down range the air is filled with smoke. While I'm swinging my gun down to reload I always take an extra deep breath of the pungent smoke, nothing like a black powder rush! :D

Back