• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What flintlock style should I consider?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure which tall rackfull you mean but I did take some old photos and set them up to show a few of my rifles.
View attachment 41141
From left to right, the first one is a Northhampton county boy's rifle in .36 caliber. Next to it is a Pecatonica River "Transitional" butt in .54 caliber. This would be a early style. Next is a Southern style, probably from the Carolina's (I didn't use photos to define this gun). Last, on the right is the Reading rifle I posted above.

View attachment 41142

Again, from the left is a "Early Lancaster" with the straight comb typical of Lancaster's. Next to the right is a "Late Lancaster". It's comb is similar but the butt is narrower and slimmer. The curvature of the butt plate is more pronounced. The checkering follows that used on a Fordney rifle I used as a basis for this gun. The checkering is not deep like modern checkering. It was more of a decoration.
Next to the right is the Bedford County I showed in the post above. Last, on the right is a Franklin County style. It is similar to the Bedford but it is not as slim. The lock used is typical of the locks used on other longrifles, not the long slim lock found on the Bedfords.

Hope this helps. :)
WOW! You certainly have quite the collection! Thank you for posting and identifying these. All of these have something to love. From the pics, I suppose in terms of the shape/angle of the stocks, I favor the Reading and that “Transitional” quite a lot. They seem to have less of a drop than the others. But man, they are all gorgeous pieces. You built all of those?

Yes. I built them along with some others I didn't show.

I had a rather high stress job at the time and building these rifles was a way of forgetting about work related problems each evening.

The only ones that are the "kits" sold by Pecatonica River are the Transitional and the Bedford. The others are pre-carved Pecatonica River stocks which I used as raw material to modify into other shapes based on photos of original guns. Dick Greensides of Pecatonica River also provided these stocks without the lock mortise cut so I could use locks that closely resembled the locks used on the original guns.

Oddly, after I retired, I no longer needed to avoid the stress of my job so I haven't finished the Beck's county rifle I was working on at the time. It and it's Rice barrel and Manton flintlock are still sitting there. Every once in a while I'll do a little bit to it but I'm in no hurry. :)

Ok, why would you ask someone else to pick out a shirt for you? A car or pickup? A hair color maybe?
Wouldn't you want to pick out one that you like instead of one someone else likes?
:dunno:
Grizz ... Jus asking.. You're not married are you? ... I only ask because of the question you jus ask. LMAO!!
Sorry Man, jus playin

Yes. I built them along with some others I didn't show.

I had a rather high stress job at the time and building these rifles was a way of forgetting about work related problems each evening.

The only ones that are the "kits" sold by Pecatonica River are the Transitional and the Bedford. The others are pre-carved Pecatonica River stocks which I used as raw material to modify into other shapes based on photos of original guns. Dick Greensides of Pecatonica River also provided these stocks without the lock mortise cut so I could use locks that closely resembled the locks used on the original guns.

Oddly, after I retired, I no longer needed to avoid the stress of my job so I haven't finished the Beck's county rifle I was working on at the time. It and it's Rice barrel and Manton flintlock are still sitting there. Every once in a while I'll do a little bit to it but I'm in no hurry. :)

Zonie,

beautiful rifles, did you make the inlays?

Zonie,

beautiful rifles, did you make the inlays?
Most of the inlays were bought from the company that eventually became Muzzleloader Builder's Supply. Places like Track of the Wolf and Dixie also sell some of them.

The Franklin county rifle has a total of 32 German Silver and Sterling Silver inlays on it. By the time I finished it I was so burned out on installing inlays, the next gun I built didn't have any at all. :oops:

Here's a link to the post that I made about that gun
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/first-try-at-pictures.1035/#post-7756
Franklin cropped.jpg

Most of the inlays were bought from the company that eventually became Muzzleloader Builder's Supply. Places like Track of the Wolf and Dixie also sell some of them.

The Franklin county rifle has a total of 32 German Silver and Sterling Silver inlays on it. By the time I finished it I was so burned out on installing inlays, the next gun I built didn't have any at all. :oops:

Here's a link to the post that I made about that gun
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/first-try-at-pictures.1035/#post-7756
View attachment 41333

what's your preferred method of attaching the inlays - do you pin them?

Last edited:
Some of the larger inlays are tacked into place. Most of the small ones are epoxied in place. Before applying the epoxy I totally rough up the back side with a file and then remove all traces of oil including my finger prints so the epoxy has a clean surface to bond to.

Back