• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Finally sighted in my Lyman peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
I had a great time yesterday morning zeroing my removable peep sight on my Lyman GPR! I have it hitting a 1 3/8 diameter bull at 50 yards consistently (benched). And I have it hitting a 2 3/8 diameter bull at 100 yards consistently (benched). I zeroed it for 50 yards, and recorded the clicks for 100. For some reason, I can barely hit a pie plate at 100 yards with the open sights, but doing awesome with the peep. I know I cannot shoot this at my club, but I have done this for deer hunting. There is plenty of adjustment left as well. I will sight it in for 150 and 200 yards just for targets or a more ominous situation. It amazes me how much better I can shoot with the removable peep sights. I feel very, very accomplished.
I also will (before worrying with the further distances) shoot the Hornady PA 240 grain conicals with the peep sight and record their clicks for 50 and 100, and maybe 125 yards.
I would feel comfortable shooting a buck at 125 only with the heavier conical.
Man, I love my muzzle loaders.

Hawk78, which sight do you have? As it is removable can it be used on other rifles. How do you know which base to use? Lots of questions, sorry.
Thanx

Thanks for the report. I've just ordered a small peep sight for my Traditions Tennessee rifle. Had it up to the range the other day and was having a hard time keeping it on target at 50 yards with the fixed sights.

Hawk78, which sight do you have? As it is removable can it be used on other rifles. How do you know which base to use? Lots of questions, sorry.
Thanx
no problem. They make em for different production guns. Mid south supply has them for $90. I highly recommend them. I absolutely fell in love with my gun and sight all over again yesterday. And it is helpful to have a fold up/down rear sight as well.
20200827_113420.jpg
20200827_113311.jpg
20200827_113420.jpg
20200827_113311.jpg

Sounds like you’re figuring it all out for your self my friend.

The key is time at the range which sounds like you’re already doing.

Keep experimenting which will give you even more time at the range.

Experience is the best teacher.

Lastly, unfortunately, I really have no real experience to share with you when it comes to conical projectiles other than limited experience shooting my civil war era long arms.

Pretty sure other’s are more qualified to give you better advice than I.

I personally think if you keep at it like you’re doing, you’ll be in a better position to give the advice that you’re seeking my friend. By the way. Nice looking rifle!

Good luck and looking forward to hearing how you’re progressing?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Sounds like you’re figuring it all out for your self my friend.

The key is time at the range which sounds like you’re already doing.

Keep experimenting which will give you even more time at the range.

Experience is the best teacher.

Lastly, unfortunately, I really have no real experience to share with you when it comes to conical projectiles other than limited experience shooting my civil war era long arms.

Pretty sure other’s are more qualified to give you better advice than I.

I personally think if you keep at it like you’re doing, you’ll be in a better position to give the advice that you’re seeking my friend. By the way. Nice looking rifle!

Good luck and looking forward to hearing how you’re progressing?

Respectfully, Cowboy
Thank you Cowboy! I watch and admire Utube videos about muskets too. I especially absolutely love the new Pedersoli "Whitsworth" sniper rifle. I thinking real seriously about buying one this year. Have you ever shot a Whitsford?

No I haven’t my friend. I currently own a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield, a couple of Remington 1863 Zouave’s by Euro arms and Antonio Zoli, Lastly, a 1861 Enfield artillery model by Armi Sport.

I shoot both mini and RB through those. My experience is limited when it comes to these civil war long guns.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I had the Lyman sights on several of my rifles, but could never get past looking at that massive hunk destroying the nice lines of my rifles. A friend turned me onto the Pedersoli "GHOST" peep sight. Check it out before buying any more of the big blocks.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/883/1/RS-DP-GRS
Your correct about appearance, but I do not believe the Pedersoli adjust 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. I believe you have to rotate it all the way around and not sure how it accounts for changing its measurement? But I don't know. Does it have a precise measurement for each rotation? If it does, then you right all the way and Jerry should consider it. The Lyman measurements are just like a modern scope. Heck it is a scope in my book, just mo recital lenses. Yesterday, I actually measured my group at 100, did the math and adjusted, and the last group was dead on. I just think that is totally awesome.

Use to be a gentleman here that went by Idaho Ron I think? He use to post here regularly. Think he’s over on a sister forum affiliated with this one.

Anyway, he’s what I’d call a master authority when it comes to shooting conical’s at long distances. He has several YouTube shooting videos doing just that.

He’s also an avid hunter out in Idaho. Shoot’s big game at extreme distance’s. Uses a TC Hawken that he souped up. He calls it his Hot Rod Hawken.

He extremely knowledgeable. He’s very impressive as to what he’s able to do with these muzzleloader’s. Man is very accurate in his shooting abilities. He’s a instruct able type of person. Loves to teach and share what he knows.

Lastly, he uses various sights on his muzzleloader’s. Think he now posts more on the modern muzzleloading forum?

Respectfully,Cowboy

Use to be a gentleman here that went by Idaho Ron I think? He use to post here regularly. Think he’s over on a sister forum affiliated with this one.

Anyway, he’s what I’d call a master authority when it comes to shooting conical’s at long distances. He has several YouTube shooting videos doing just that.

He’s also an avid hunter out in Idaho. Shoot’s big game at extreme distance’s. Uses a TC Hawken that he souped up. He calls it his Hot Rod Hawken.

He extremely knowledgeable. He’s very impressive as to what he’s able to do with these muzzleloader’s. Man is very accurate in his shooting abilities. He’s a instruct able type of person. Loves to teach and share what he knows.

Lastly, he uses various sights on his muzzleloader’s. Think he now posts more on the modern muzzleloading forum?

Respectfully,Cowboy
Yea, I know and admire him. He shoots paper patched slugs sized and wrapped twice to bore diameter. He is a pro 4 sure. Another guy from Idaho is tough too that does the same thing and their buddies. Both of these guys are the real deal. They could be snipers any day, any place, and at unfathomable distances. I,m heading out this evening to set my sight and record the clicks for my PA conical. I learned a tremendous amount from both of these chaps!

Nice shooting, and an educational read. I also have a Lyman GPR (flintlock), and the original sites that came with mine were worthless. Since this is my hunting gun, and my vision is getting on the crappy side, I installed tritium sites. I know, I know. I'm nearly embarrassed by this myself! But... It's a hunting gun, not something that I'd take to a reenactment. I wish I had tried what you have first though, as that looks a little more appropriate than what I have!

Your correct about appearance, but I do not believe the Pedersoli adjust 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. I believe you have to rotate it all the way around and not sure how it accounts for changing its measurement? But I don't know. Does it have a precise measurement for each rotation? If it does, then you right all the way and Jerry should consider it. The Lyman measurements are just like a modern scope. Heck it is a scope in my book, just mo recital lenses. Yesterday, I actually measured my group at 100, did the math and adjusted, and the last group was dead on. I just think that is totally awesome.
They don't click. True. You can change the elevation with 1/2 rotation on the riser screw. I have the turns counted to keep zero at 50-75-100-150-and 200 yards. At 200 yards I can keep a group on a 10" paper plate with my Lyman Great Plains shooting round ball. I also ran a tap through the eye of the riser so I can use the peep sights from the Williams or Lyman sights, which I have several to choose from the Lyman and Williams sights I used to have but sold off after getting the Pedersoli sights.
I had no issues at all with the Lyman (or William) sight - just that fact that it is bulky, ugly and kept tearing my gun socks.

I had a great time yesterday morning zeroing my removable peep sight on my Lyman GPR! I have it hitting a 1 3/8 diameter bull at 50 yards consistently (benched). And I have it hitting a 2 3/8 diameter bull at 100 yards consistently (benched). I zeroed it for 50 yards, and recorded the clicks for 100. For some reason, I can barely hit a pie plate at 100 yards with the open sights, but doing awesome with the peep. I know I cannot shoot this at my club, but I have done this for deer hunting. There is plenty of adjustment left as well. I will sight it in for 150 and 200 yards just for targets or a more ominous situation. It amazes me how much better I can shoot with the removable peep sights. I feel very, very accomplished.
I also will (before worrying with the further distances) shoot the Hornady PA 240 grain conicals with the peep sight and record their clicks for 50 and 100, and maybe 125 yards.
I would feel comfortable shooting a buck at 125 only with the heavier conical.
Man, I love my muzzle loaders.
There’s a reason that professionally trained gunmen are all using aperture sights when they aren’t using optical sights. They work. Significantly better than open iron sights.

I have a GP with a peep. Makes a huge difference. Its funny how well peeps work once you get used to them. My daughter picked up an unmentionable with a peep and within the first 2 shots she was hitting a beer can at 50 yards after only having shot scoped rifles and revolvers.

Thanks for the report. I've just ordered a small peep sight for my Traditions Tennessee rifle. Had it up to the range the other day and was having a hard time keeping it on target at 50 yards with the fixed sights.
Old age? Only Kidding! At 77 I understand. I had to resort to a circle of tape with a hole punched in it. Worked great .

Respectfully,Cowboy
That and an excellent tutorial on paper patched bullets on cast boolits forum.

Back