• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big guns for small jobs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shot jackrabbits with a .54 rd ball. It does do them in, but not any faster than a .50, .45 or 32 cal. Just puts a bigger hole in and out.

I have taken groundhogs with a .735 diameter ball, does that count? :winking: :haha:

Knocked 'em for a loop too...

I have went snowshoe rabbit hunting with .54 calibers and had a great time. The trick is to head shoot them of course. If you hit them in the body, they are gutted and skinned at the same time almost...

I have also plasterd a squirrel or two with the .54 caliber. We are loaded with nasty little pine squirrels that get into everything. They are no good to eat, but they are sure fun to shoot.

I used to use the .69 Rifle with 30gr. 3F & patched .684" ball for snowshoe rabbits. Does that count as overkill? My buddy Keith uses 50gr. 3F and .735 RB in his .75 Rifle - THAT's overkill. Makes a nice sound when either projectiles hit their little heads.

Seems to me I read something one time about Jim Bridger or Kit Carson carrying a .54 caliber rifle and using only a 55 grain powder measurer tied to their horn. It was concluded that the one in question used the 55 grain measurer for small game, and most likely used 110 grains for large game... :bull: I didn't buy into it then, and I don't now. :no: Why would a man in the wilderness carry a half charged rifle when he may confront a grizzly, mountain lion, or an enemy at any given time??? Also, I don't beleive either one would waste powder and ball on a rabbit or squirrel... :no: In todays world depending on where you live, we ought to be able to use half charges with no problem on small game, but,,, if you live where the bears and mountain lions roam, I'd think twice about it. :winking:

Ohio Joe: To add kindling to your fire I might add, a rifle shot can be heard for great distances. The neighbors where they did a lot of their trapping were not always the kind you would want next door so IMO when the trappers were away from camp they would have avoided shooting a rabbit for the pot if for no other reason than to keep their whereabouts a secret. Out on the Plains this might not have been as important but in the timbered areas, I am sure it was.

I don't doubt that the camp support staff killed rabbits and other small game, but here again I would expect them to use snares, dead-falls or small traps unless they were out on the flat plains where a curious indian could be seen at a great distance.

If this comment has merit does that mean hunting rabbits with a .54 is not PC? Who cares? Zoney says It are a great way ta enjoy yer blackpowder rifle so ye better shoot one fer me! :)

Quite right about the noice factor, Zonie... I missed that one!!! I agree, hunt small game by all means! :) I just recommend caution if you live in an area where the likes of mountain lions and bears live also... Here in the Pine Ridge of Nebraska we have mountain lions to contend with, although our Game and Parks says we don't... Let's see,,, local ranchers have shot two, a vehicle hit one crossing highway 20, it's illegal to kill a mountain lion in Nebraska,,, yelp,,, guess we don't have any mountain lions??? Five years ago I probably would have hunted small game with a half charge, but not now, not since our G&P started to relocate mountain lions here... I've seen the tracks and I even saw one crossing a road headed toward a place called "Smiley Canyon" just above Ft. Robinson State Park... I don't let this interfer with my hunting, I'm just cautious... I'm so cautious now I even carry my 1858 .44 Remington "Navy Arms" Revolver along with me... If your running the risk of becoming "cat manure", you may as well try to feed that big cat a diet of lead if your on its menu!!! :shocking: By the way, I like that "Shutzen" in the photo section!!! :) :applause:

That's the system I use. A 'half-measure' tied to my horn. One shot for small game or plinking, double shot for big game or official long range target. But then, we've fairly well civilized the woods as a rule hereabouts and I have no fear of squirrel hunting with a 'squib' load. Most critters would be about as discouraged with a 50 grain charge behind a .54 ball as they would a 100 grainer. After all, if it is self defense and not just your nerves the critter is within 30 feet or so. For the rest I carry a long bladed heavy rifleman's knife. :winking: If I'm in unfamiliar woods I tuck a highly politically and period incorrect chopped .45 ACP in a belly or shoulder holster. The most dangerous thing in the woods is the same as the most dangerous thing on the street.

In 'enemy territory' it would have made a lot more sense to snare a bunny or squirrel for the pot. Back in the old days they used to teach us young scouts how to construct a half dozen types using deadfalls or wire, string, fishline, twisted milkweed fibers, etc. for snares. I'm betting that ain't the case today.

HERE!!! See my hand up.

Shot a squirrel with my .54 GPR last fall. Used a .535 ball on top of 40 grains of 777. Didn't have to gut him neither.

For those who wnat to know Danial Boone used to use a .69 for squirrel. Used to 'bark' 'em; that is shooting the tree next to them and the concussion kills them. Warning barking is illegial on public hunting grounds.

strongarm

I do not think there is much to support the half measure theory from a historical standpoint but a 55 gr load could easily have been a standard load for a .54 rifleand two scoops if needed would be a double charge...potaytoe.....potahtoe

I used both a 54 and a 36 all winter for several dozen snowshoe hares. With either rifle, head shots were mandatory. My charge with the 54 was 30 grains of FFF both because it shot well and because I used the same measure with the 36. Real "polite" load in terms of recoil and noise, and never any doubt about terminal results.

well, I recon I've harvested everything from field mouse to full growed buffalo with a 60 caliber (.587 ball in front of 60 grains of 2f). I am now working on the same type of record with a 54 caliber...and am shooting 62 grains of 3f (thats what the rifle seems to like best). I can put a ball through the front and out the back of a buffalo skull and a foot down into the neck muscles with the first mentioned load. Before you condemn such "mouse phardt" loads lets consider a couple things. Them old boys didnt have the leisure of going back to the pickup or house for more powder. Why would you shoot at a big cat or bear that was out quite a few yards from you? Any critter violating your "space" would be pretty up close and personal I would think. Next time you harvest a doe for the freezer, load up a couple of loads where the caliber equals or slightly exceeds the caliber.....take a shot into the head or perhaps a portion of the body you dont intend to keep...maybe close to where your perfect shot took out the deer's heart. Do a little comparison. dead is dead....whether you smack a 100 pound doe with a 40 caliber ball or a Peterbuilt pulling a full load of bricks. Feeding yourself/family is not a matter of taking long shots, or trying for a super flat trajectory....is it? Remember that powder supply has to last you 'til spring rendezvous or until you make it back to the settlements with all them prime hides. Be a shame to use up all that powder and find they is a passle of Bugs boys between you and the fort...

Both my buddy and I use light charges in our BIG English rifles, mine a .69 and his a .75. They smash snowshoes rabbits heads quite well. As far as 1/2 measure, etc, a 1/2 measure for me would have been 3 drams 2F and that would be too much for small game, but perfect for the trail walk on steel targets to 100yds.
: My powder chargers carry 3 drams and 6 drams, however my smallgame chargeron a Dixon flask holds between 2 1/2drams 2F, but I only fill it about 1/2 way. I've tried barking squirrels, and it may work on eastern squirels but it doesn't work well on the pine squirels up here. When a full hunting charge in the barrel, I'm not hunting small game, however did try to bark a scolding, chattering red squirrels twice, and did hit the bark about perfectly on a big spruce tree, but the blast sent the first small squirrel flying off into the bush and I couldn't find it. The other shot, perhaps a bit close, blasted the squirrel apart from the bark explosion. I found 2 large pieces of that one. So much for barking- leave it to the dogs - they're better at it. I suppose barking a large black, grey or fox squirrel might be fun and a .45 on up to .54 should do it, but the large bores will make more bark fly.

I was never much impressed with barking a squirrel. Some worked well, others only stunned the critter and about the time I'd get to him he'd be coming 'round (lots of fun trying to club a groggy squirrel running around tree trunks). Other times the bark and tree splinters would rip them open. I much prefer a hit somewhere in the head. With a .54 ANYWHERE in the head is a K.O. I think the temperature and type of tree makes a big difference. Our soft, white pines absorb a ball like a sponge when it's early season. The mid-winter hickories work more like claymore mines with a .54 (or .66).

If you were a mountain man, and didn't know whether you would encounter a rabbit, an Indian, or a grizzly, would you carry a half charge in your rifle?
If you were a mountain man, and your only source for lead was the roundivous once a year, would you shoot at a rabbit, knowing your ball would pass through and could not be recovered?

If you were a mountain man, and didn't know whether you would encounter a rabbit, an Indian, or a grizzly, would you carry a half charge in your rifle?

Nope, I'd snare small game and carry a 'normal' load for hostiles. But the DEC (or DNR depending on your state) frowns on snaring locally. I'd have to let a grizzly maul me 'cause we don't have a season for them here. The part of the country I live in has been pretty civilized since Sullivan raized the native's villages in 1779. 'Ceptin for the unpleasantries of 1812 - in which case a 60 gr charge behind a .54 bullet knocks a lobsterback over just as dandy as a squirrel or whitetail. Ain't no elk or buffler been seen hereabouts in a good many years.

If you were a mountain man, and your only source for lead was the roundivous once a year, would you shoot at a rabbit, knowing your ball would pass through and could not be recovered?

Depends how hungry I was.

Back