• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the new to me 50 cal CVA Mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the 50 Cal CVA mountain rifle out for a test ride this afternoon only to find out I did not have the correct components for this rifle. I’m not new to muzzle loaders having hunted and competed with them over the years. I’m not one to reinvent the wheel and I’d like to hear what others are using. Today, I started with 60 grains of 3F, a .495 RB and .018 patch material. This is lined with a 1:6 mix of water soluble machine oil. WAY TO TIGHT!! So, what loads do the CVA mountain rifle shooters use!

I use a .490 ball in mine and .015 linen patch with what one would consider a wet patch. I use Black MZ 80grain equivalent. I think mine is from around 1980-81.

I’ve never had much success stuffing really tight patch/ball combos down the pipe using a dry lube method, especially after the first couple of shots. Did the combo fit at all? Is the rifling shallow? In my shallow rifling gun of 50 caliber, when using the dry lube method I go with a .010 patch and a .490 ball and wipe between shots. I’m fast becoming a wet lube guy, though, which seems to be eliminating that need to wipe between.

I took the 50 Cal CVA mountain rifle out for a test ride this afternoon only to find out I did not have the correct components for this rifle. I’m not new to muzzle loaders having hunted and competed with them over the years. I’m not one to reinvent the wheel and I’d like to hear what others are using. Today, I started with 60 grains of 3F, a .495 RB and .018 patch material. This is lined with a 1:6 mix of water soluble machine oil. WAY TO TIGHT!! So, what loads do the CVA mountain rifle shooters use!
Haven't put a lot of different combos through mine, but, it does just fine with .490 ball, .015 or .018 patch lubed lightly with bore butter and 65 grains of 3f BP. That will keep shots touching at 25yds. and tightly grouped at 50yds. in mine.

.495 Ball is the most accurate in mine with 65 grains 2f. Your 60 grains 3f is probably comparable. I do use a mandrel and a mallet to load the ball however. If I am shooting afield then I drop to a .490 ball so I can just use a short starter.

I haven't shot mine enough to work out a satisfactory load yet.

Just to add to your options, the Missouri Bullet Company makes .487" round balls, marketed through Graf & Sons. I bought a box of these recently but haven't had a chance to try them yet. These might need a pretty thick patch, but the thicker fabric ought to hold more lube.

Notchy Bob

The one I sighted in for a friend liked a .490 ball 45 grain FFF and a .015 lard lubed patch. One clover leave at 35 yards.

My CVA Bobcat returned excellent groups with 60 grains Pyrodex, .490" Hornady balls, and 0.010" pre lubed patches. I swabbed with soapy water and dried with two dry patches every shot.

Thanks for the load information. I’m on the hunt for some .490 round balls. They seem to be as rare as hens teeth. It may be time to break out the casting material.

490 rb should be among the easier to find but you may have to hit a local gun shop or order them. The postal service may be slow at times these days due to political shenanigans among Other things. I tried to have some medications mailed to me today as I am out of town. The pharmacy called back and advised I should transfer the scripts locally rather than wait on USPS. Sad.

Thanks for the load information. I’m on the hunt for some .490 round balls. They seem to be as rare as hens teeth. It may be time to break out the casting material.
Yeah, if you have the means, get a mould. Even a small bag mould is better than nothing and a small electric melter. I got one from Dixie,years ago that works fine. Cast all you want.

I have a mountain in .50 in a flinter and a percussion. both like .490 balls, pillow ticking patches, lubed with spit, all over 100 gr of FFG goex.
excellent groups, and swat deer like the hammer of Thor.

I have a mountain in .50 in a flinter and a percussion. both like .490 balls, pillow ticking patches, lubed with spit, all over 100 gr of FFG goex.
excellent groups, and swat deer like the hammer of Thor.
Went on the hunt this morning and found a box of Hornady .490 round balls this morning at a small gun shop in Manchester. It was just good to hit a few shops to see what they had. A good morning and I got what I needed.

I built my CVA MR from a kit in 1977 and still shoot it frequently. Best accuracy for it I found was 80g 2F OR 70g 3F. Same accuracy as far as I could measure, but the 3f has a lot less fouling. CCI caps, 0.490 swagged ball (cast were never quite as good I found, YMMV) , 0.016 pillow ticking from the fabric store, compresses to 0.012. Lube makes no difference: homemade, Wonderlube, Lube1000, mutton tallow, bear grease, Crisco, they all shoot the same. Mine likes a lot of lube on the patch, almost like butter on bread. I can shoot all day with that load and not clean the barrel. You need to shoot a couple hundred rounds to smooth any sharp edges or burrs in the barrel, but cleaning between shots goes away after that point. Mine shoots better than I can see, and I expect a 2" group max at 50 yards off the sandbags with 70 year old eyes.

I have a USA made CVA Mtn Rifle in 50. Brown finish has mottled to an attractive case hardened appearance but bore is like a mirror. Very very accurate gun. No problem ringing small steel plates at 100yds all day using .490 balls I pour and thin patching material lightly misted with moose milk and patchknifed after ball start. 90gr FFg holy black is the ticket. Can’t get RS to reliably ignite. Can’t get a .495 to load no matter the patch without a hammer. Not worth it. Melted down all my .495’s into .490’s.

The CVA drum and nipple percussion system has a lot of twists and bends for the flash of a percussion cap to reliably ignite RS Pyrodex. I've found that the USA CVA Mountain Rifles have a tight 50 caliber bore and a 0.490" or even a 0.485" ball with a thicker 0.015" patch is much easier to load.

Latest posts

Back