• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.58 cal bullets supply

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWeber

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a .58 caliber percussion muzzel loader. The only bullets I can find are round bullets. The bullets I generally used were the thompson center hollow points. In Colorado elk hunts are required to be .50 or larger caliber. Does anyone know where I might find a different bullet besides round bullets in a .58 caliber? Thank you.

If you are wanting Minnie Balls (or conicals) try Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf. They also have Maxi_Balls.

Attachments

• 58cao.jpg
    58cao.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 66
  • ball-maxi_0.jpg
    ball-maxi_0.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 63
I have a .58 caliber percussion muzzel loader. The only bullets I can find are round bullets. The bullets I generally used were the thompson center hollow points. In Colorado elk hunts are required to be .50 or larger caliber. Does anyone know where I might find a different bullet besides round bullets in a .58 caliber? Thank you.
What sort of rifle is it? The minie will work better in a rifle with shallower groves. The maxi design better with deep rifling.
Then before you invest check your rate of twist.
Run a patch on a tight swab down the bore. A 1/48 or more will shoot better with a patched ball then any sort of conical, and will make short work of any elk you’ll meet.
1/48 and faster will handle a conical well.
The hollow based minie design may not handle large powder charges well.

Actually all conicals perform better with shallow grooves. Deep grooves lead to gas cutting and loss of accuracy.

Minie balls have the cupped base and with a modest charge (65 grains of 2f) to expand the cup into the grooves give good accuracy. Large powder charges can blow the cup apart once again leading to loss of accuracy.

Minie balls and Maxi-Balls and REAL bullets should be fit to the bore of the rifle. Minie balls should be about 0.001" to 0.002" under the land to land diameter of the bore. The Minie Ball needs to slide down the bore for ease of loading. The solid base conicals rely on the largest band to engage on the lands rather than expanding into the lands on firing. The largest diameter of the Maxi-Ball or REAL should equal the diameter of the grooves.

hi, i have 3 boxes of 555 gr. t/c maxi balls and 4 boxes of 560 gr. t/c maxi hunters in .58 cal. 15 rounds per box.. all sealed boxes except one i opened to check lube. they are all dried out and would need to be relubed. i would do $14.00 a box plus shipping. usps m/o. thanks. mike

Haven't used minies for very long time for hunting . If your shots are close , like 100 yds. or less , and you can compensate for the minie's inherent , in flight, rainbow , go for it. Minies I used were the .580 , bore sized Lee target minie. It was deadly accurate on paper. I foolishly sighted my peep sighted Harpers Ferry rifle in @ 100 meters , because the shooting range was 100 meters and the rifle rendered a consistent 3 and 1/2" group at that distance. However ,due to the thin skirt of that particular minie , I couldn't bump the powder charge up enough to flatten the trajectory to eliminate the 6+ " rainbow in mid flight. Soon as I boosted the powder charge up to about 80 gr. to try for flatter trajectory , blown skirts were the result. Back then , there were no FORUM'S to ask for help , so I sold the rifle and went to a flat shooting .50 cal. long rifle...Killed several deer w/ the .58..Boy does it put ''em down.....oldwood

What sort of rifle is it? The minie will work better in a rifle with shallower groves. The maxi design better with deep rifling.
Then before you invest check your rate of twist.
Run a patch on a tight swab down the bore. A 1/48 or more will shoot better with a patched ball then any sort of conical, and will make short work of any elk you’ll meet.
1/48 and faster will handle a conical well.
The hollow based minie design may not handle large powder charges well.
It is a TC 58 big boar. 1/48 twist.

Haven't used minies for very long time for hunting . If your shots are close , like 100 yds. or less , and you can compensate for the minie's inherent , in flight, rainbow , go for it. Minies I used were the .580 , bore sized Lee target minie. It was deadly accurate on paper. I foolishly sighted my peep sighted Harpers Ferry rifle in @ 100 meters , because the shooting range was 100 meters and the rifle rendered a consistent 3 and 1/2" group at that distance. However ,due to the thin skirt of that particular minie , I couldn't bump the powder charge up enough to flatten the trajectory to eliminate the 6+ " rainbow in mid flight. Soon as I boosted the powder charge up to about 80 gr. to try for flatter trajectory , blown skirts were the result. Back then , there were no FORUM'S to ask for help , so I sold the rifle and went to a flat shooting .50 cal. long rifle...Killed several deer w/ the .58..Boy does it put ''em down.....oldwood
What does it mean to "blow the skirt"? Expand the base to the point of inaccuracy?

hi, i have 3 boxes of 555 gr. t/c maxi balls and 4 boxes of 560 gr. t/c maxi hunters in .58 cal. 15 rounds per box.. all sealed boxes except one i opened to check lube. they are all dried out and would need to be relubed. i would do $14.00 a box plus shipping. usps m/o. thanks. mike
I found some on October country muzzleloader. Thank you for the offer. I might get them off you, but first I need to figure out what I am going to use while hunting.

What does it mean to "blow the skirt"? Expand the base to the point of inaccuracy?
This means the expanding gas behind the bullet, which usually helps by “inflating” the skirt of the minie into the rifling grooves, is too strong and damages the skirt. This will result in really bad accuracy.

The opposite thing can happen if the charge behind a minie is too light: the skirt will not properly expand into the rifling which means there may be little or no spin on the projectile. This recently happened to me while working up loads for my Enfield. The bullet tumbled and actually hit the target sideways.

Try contacting, he casts a lot and supplies the suppliers like Dixie and has good prices. I'm not sure this info is current.
Eddie May
159 Ridley Road
Chatsworth, GA 30705
706-581-8225

Military rifles and rifles muskets made to shoot minie often shot charges of 60-75 grains. As little as 100 grains can start to deform the skirt.
There are some thick skirted minies but it takes a hunk to expand them enough to to hold the rifleing
With a 1/48 your gun should handle ball well, maybe more accurate then a minie. And very deadly pills for elk or moose
21F53BFC-AEA2-448A-AB06-C98CBEC9C7D1.jpeg
01727F16-8494-4913-8F11-6084A9FB01B7.jpeg

Imported Harper's Ferry .58 cal. rifle in the mid 1970's was a 1 in 70 twist. No existing Lyman minie mold fit the rifling well enough to give acceptable accuracy. Lee came out w/a couple different sizes of target minies made to fit the Italian .58 bores. Once we solved the bullet fitting the bore problem , the extreme rainbow in flight couldn't be remedied by raising the powder charge. Over 75 to 80 grains ffg powder fractured the thin skirt at the base of the bullet resulting in inaccuracy. I even went to FG , but got the same result... Back in those early days there was no FORUM to ask questions. Before my buddy and I abandoned the project , we did kill a number of close range w/tail deer w/that setup..............oldwood

Military rifles and rifles muskets made to shoot minie often shot charges of 60-75 grains. As little as 100 grains can start to deform the skirt.
There are some thick skirted minies but it takes a hunk to expand them enough to to hold the rifleing
With a 1/48 your gun should handle ball well, maybe more accurate then a minie. And very deadly pills for elk or moose View attachment 40891View attachment 40892
a 1x48 twist will not handle a Minie well at all

Back