• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rumor has It....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Ivory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just about ready to "pull the trigger and get a TVM Fowler kit but rumor has it that Jim Kibler may produce a trade gun.
DANG!!!
Has anyone spoken with Katherine about this? Is there a bit of truth to the rumor?

If there's a fleck of truth in this rumor, the TVM is on hold for a spell. I gotta wait and see what Jim produces, his kits are outstanding.

Jim has stated that they are going to come out with one next.

Fleener

Go to his website and check out the latest video. You will learn more there.

Fleener

I was just about ready to "pull the trigger and get a TVM Fowler kit but rumor has it that Jim Kibler may produce a trade gun.
DANG!!!
Has anyone spoken with Katherine about this? Is there a bit of truth to the rumor?

If there's a fleck of truth in this rumor, the TVM is on hold for a spell. I gotta wait and see what Jim produces, his kits are outstanding.

I have talked to her about it. It’s not a rumor. Jim’s announced it all the way down to the barrel steel, options, and the original it’ll be shaped after. He started a thread on ALR and has a video on YouTube.... Give her a ring and get yourself caught up. Sounds worth waiting for.

Last edited:
As your wait for a TVM smoothbore may easily be 6 to 8 months, you should have little to lose by waiting. You might want to firm up a ballpark time frame, however. Not that the TVM isn't a high quality gun - I have one and love it - it will be a win-win whichever one you choose to get.

I was wondering about their lead time.
Everything ive read sez they make piece.
Wonder if my "boss" would stand for two trade guns on top of the others.
A TVM and Jim's model. 😂

Wonder which "trade gun" jim will do. I could be very excited about some but not so much some others!

I'm not positive, but this may be the trade gun Jim Kibler is going to reproduce - scroll down to the bottom of page 2
Nw trade gun .....thanks to PLMeek for posting the photo in 02/2019. (maybe he's psychic?)

Jim K. said in the video that he might remove the arm from the pan to the frizzen & redo the top of the cock to look like the Wilson gun - his new flintlock lock looks alot like the antique Wilson lock & with those mods it would look the same.

(I think this thread should be in the "smoovebore" category instead of the Flintlock Rifles cat.)

mike

Last edited:
Its going to most likely be based on a common grade Wilson fowling piece most likely made for the American trade found in "Of Sorts for Provincials" by Jim Mullins.

Its going to most likely be based on a common grade Wilson fowling piece most likely made for the American trade found in "Of Sorts for Provincials" by Jim Mullins.
Don't have a photo do you Capt.? Is it the one on page 51-52 that Track of the Wolf shows? I don't have that book naturally, I've got Grinslade's "Fowlers" though.

dd832,
Here are screenshots from Jim's info-video about the gun.

20200824_200604.jpg
20200824_200604.jpg

20200824_200632.jpg

From a June 21 email from Jim
Anthony,

We can currently provide a 24 gauge (.58 caliber) or 28 gauge (.54 caliber) smoothbore in our colonial kit. This is a full octagon swamped barrel. We have these in stock. In time we will offer an octagon-round barrel in our Colonial kit as well. Finally, in time, we will be offering a Fowler kit. It will be at least a year until this is available. If you have any other questions or if we can help you out, just let us know.

All the best,
Jim

DANG!!!

I e-mailed Mr. Kibler once, and suggested he make a Pistol kit! He graciously replied but was non-committal one way or the other. His products are amazing; the engineering, planning, & skill that goes into making something like this, using space-age technology to mfg. great 19th C. guns is a wonderful thing to see. (If he does do a Pistol, I'm first in line!)

I e-mailed Mr. Kibler once, and suggested he make a Pistol kit! He graciously replied but was non-committal one way or the other. His products are amazing;

A pistol would be a great addition to his kits.
I agree with your assessment, his kits are very well thought out, especially for people like me with limited gun building experience.

Back