• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Trade Butcher Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacRob46

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I Wilson 1830s butcher knife.JPG

I recently acquired this butcher knife at a local antique/junk store. Got it for a good price I think. My research places it prior to 1890 and perhaps much earlier. The markings on the blade are "I. Wilson Shear Steel" There is no city or country of origin anywhere on it, as was required after 1890. Condition is pretty good with overzealous sharpening affecting it some. It has a half tang and, as can be seen, the scales are pinned rather than riveted.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with any thoughts on the knife. First time I had seen one like it but I did find a few on the Internet.

I have a knife very similar to that one. An old gent gave it to me almost forty years ago. He always referred to it as just a butcher knife. I don’t recall any markings on it if any. It’s out in the garage in a drawer...

I.(J) John Wilson was one of the suppliers during the Fur trade era, in business well before Russell Green River knives, and now very collectible. Started about 1750, the 'Sycamore Street' brand shear steel knives from Sheffield, England, were mentioned by name in the lists of Pierre Chouteau. I used to own one or two, years ago, but sold them. Mine were not marked 'Shear steel' like yours. You have found a prize.

Thanks very much for the responses. I was familiar with John Wilson and thought I had found something. The first tip off was the half tang with the pins. Secondly I discovered that after 1890 manufacturers were required to list a country or even city of origin on their wares and, of course, this one does not have that. Unfortunately it has been sharpened to the point that a bit of the trademark is gone but It appears that it is pre-1890 and could be as early as the 1830s.

Thanks again for the information.

Probably still be a very sharp useful kitchen knife. I need a new knife out in my shop as someone has permanently borrowed my good scout knife it seems. Owned it for around 60 years. Maddening.

I once found one of these Wilson skinners in a derelict trap cabin in the Homathka river if haveing my own I left it in case some one might really have want of it . Thomas Wilson started as a cutler in 1750 ,One John Wilson died in 1849 .Clearly they where an enterprizeing firm selling direct rather than via Factors in the Early 19c They had large premises in Sycamore St Sheffield . The firm is bought by Elliotts still at Sycamore St c 1919 . They move but now stamp EX Sycamore St . The Pattern you illustrate was number 2701 a boneing knife pattern but these could be had in any configuration or The factors name should he want it . There are numbers of Riflemens & Scots dirks in the US with my Factors mark this was normal. The cutlers only cared who paid them . The Diamond Peppercorn was there their registered mark . The above I cleaned from the book' The Sheffield Knife' by Geoffery Tweedale I have one copy left should you want one PM me .
Rudyard

View attachment 7955

I recently acquired this butcher knife at a local antique/junk store. Got it for a good price I think. My research places it prior to 1890 and perhaps much earlier. The markings on the blade are "I. Wilson Shear Steel" There is no city or country of origin anywhere on it, as was required after 1890. Condition is pretty good with overzealous sharpening affecting it some. It has a half tang and, as can be seen, the scales are pinned rather than riveted.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with any thoughts on the knife. First time I had seen one like it but I did find a few on the Internet.
Whatever you do , don't try to correct the lousy sharpening. Character you know. Just a great find. Polecat

Great find ! It looks well used.

The "overzealous sharpening" from what I've seen on older butcher knives was from heavy usage and crude sharpening stones...

Maybe even a grinding wheel or sharpening steel was used at sometime.

I'm sure a grinding wheel was used at some point. It may have also have been on a belt sander as there are vertical marks from just north of the cutting edge all the way to the back of the blade! However, it is quite sharp and will slice a sheet of copy paper without issue. You should be able to see some of the heavier vertical marks in the photo...but I could be wrong about where they came from.

If you want a knife of Shear steal hunt up old sheep shears which are not that rare they turn up mangled if so be ideal (Be wrong to destroy good useable hand shears ) a piece of dowel underside the U shape handle bound with string / Sinew . and you have your stylish shear steal dag .I recall Brer' Lizard of Danville'( He's as' primitive' as mortal man can get at R vous at least ) carried just such a knife ' Many Klatch 'might relay this to him he will get a chuckle & My regards.
Rudyard

That's a really nice old knife in the first post. A lucky find!

I submitted a post a few days ago about Wilson trade knives in the thread, "Green River Knives", with some photos, down in the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade section of the forum. It might be of interest to some.

There are still a few of these knives floating around "out yonder," but you have to be constantly vigilant if you are seriously interested in acquiring a nice example. Some of them have really taken a thrashing over the years, but once in a while you find one that has aged more gracefully, like the one in post #1.

Thanks to MacRob46 for starting this interesting thread, and posting the picture!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back