• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Neat Tools by Bruce Waugh (Nipple Plate and Socket Wrench)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After watching Mike Beliveau’s film on the YouTube discussing tools for cap and ball revolvers, I decided to get a couple items made by Bruce “KingSnake” Waugh:
E35563ED-09DE-420D-BCE6-C1FD55D2BCE1.jpeg

He makes these very handy aluminum plates threaded for different nipples. Pictured is one for my Uberti, 12-28 threads. He makes them for Piettas, too, and I think in pretty much any size you need. I just cleaned my Remington using the plate and it cut the normally tedious chore of nipple cleaning down dramatically. I just held the plate under hot soapy water and used a toothbrush to scrub them up and it worked FAST. Then I used some pipe’s cleaners and a nipple’s prick to finish the inside. Some paper towels for the threads and DONE. No dropping them about or trying to hang on to them while cleaning. Nipples are always the biggest pain to clean and this makes it a breeze. The nips thread in and out easily with finger pressure. I really love this plate!!

Also he makes nipple wrenches out of socket heads and the quality is excellent. Much stronger than a typical cheap Italian nipple wrench, and can be adapted to use in all kinds of tools. I know Mike said he uses his on a tap wrench to break free stubborn nipples. Very nice. I sure wish I had this when the above Remington was brand new, as the nipples were rusted in from the factory. Bruce also makes a special block for securing the cylinder in a vice that looks super useful.

Mr. Waugh’s prices are very reasonable as well. I have no affiliation with him but figured he deserves some recognition for these excellent tools. Check him out on Facebook if you’d like them. He also makes some other tools, too.

Take care gang! :)

-Smokey

Last edited:
Thank you, Smokey Plainsman, for bringing these items to our attention! They are well conceived and look mighty handy.

One thing I would like to see, and Mr. Waugh might be the one to produce it, would be a nipple "try plate," similar to a Brownell's "Screw Check'er," with various different threaded holes for the myriad nipple threads. This might aid in getting correct replacement nipples for used guns that are sold without owner's manuals, and for determining the thread sizes on some of the "mystery nipples" on guns from abroad.

That nipple wrench is also a good idea. Gunsmith John Zimmerman of Harper's Ferry makes a "screwdriver-type" musket nipple wrench that works like a champ. I have one. I think John uses the shaft from an ordinary Treso musket wrench and mounts it in a regular commercial turned wooden file handle that has a metal ferrule, and he uses a cross pin to secure the shaft. It is a simple tool that works very well, and I find it much handier than the standard commercial nipple wrenches with the annoying sliding T-handle. Mr. Waugh's nipple wrench works on the same principle.

Anyway, thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

I recently made a nipple wrench. One of my rifles it is difficult to use your standard nipple wench. I usually use a very small wrench which was also difficult to get in there. A Dremel and a small socket and in a few minutes later I have a new nipple wrench.

At first I said to myself - "why would you need this" and then I remembered all the times I futzed around trying to hold the nipple and clean them -- now I can see the value of this nipple holder. I will make my own as I have all the tools and material to do so.

I have been making nipple wrenches out of sockets for the last 15 years. They are so much better than the ones you buy. They sell rachet type nipple wrenches but they are not very user friendly. I use deep sockets for use on rachets. I like nut-driver handles better. If you have a nipple pick from an old nipple wrench you can drill and tap the handle for it. My favorite handle is an allen wrench. You need to use Craftsmen sockets to use them the square end is a little smaller. They are a tight fit tap them in with a hammer and punch then out a few times to loosen them up. The short end is a good size for torquing nipples and the long end is good for tight nipples. Sockets are three bucks at a hardware store 3/16 for a revolver and 1/4 inch for a rifle. You can buy name brand 1/4 sockets at flea markets for fifty cents each. I buy sets at estate sales missing one or two sockets for two bucks. To make them I cut a slot in the socket wide enough to fit a small square file using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel then fit a nipple to the socket using small files. It takes about ten minutes to make one.

IMG_0377.JPG

Not quite sure? I’m betting off eBay some time back.

Through the years we accumulate stuff that we don’t have an idea on how we acquired them? At least that’s my case.

Respectfully, Cowboy
The small ratchets are like the one that came with my Lyman 4500 bullet lube and size tool. Nifty little tools, just flip them over to reverse direction.

Back