• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tc Seneca 46 caliber smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassdog1

32 Seneca Guy
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing a little looking through Gun broker and came across a 46 Caliber TC Seneca smoothbore. Have saw a lot of Senecas but nothing like this the barrel is serial numbered and marked smoothbore but nothing else. It does have correct Seneca sights. Anybody ever see one of these? Really nice looking gun

Is the barrel actually stamped ".46 caliber" with a professional roll stamp?

If no caliber size is stamped on the barrel I would guess it was once a .45 caliber rifled barrel that has been bored out to .46 caliber.

46 Caliber TC Seneca smoothbore, does not show up in any of my books from T/C..

Rifling may have been damaged and it was bored out to smoothbore to salvage the barrel. Depending on price, it may be a good musket to lay hands on. *Is "musket" the right term now?

Found it online, barrel fairly well marked "SMOOTHBORE" which is pretty neat I think.

I dont see any evidence of any engraving other than the serial # and the Smootbore designation. Gonna have another look through the pics

I'm only guessing but it might be possible the .46 caliber smoothbore Seneca could have been made to be sold in the UK.

In England and several other countries, buying and owning a smoothbore isn't much of a problem so some companies make a smoothbore muzzleloading "rifle" to be sold in those country's.

After close examination of the photos I am beginning to suspect that someone may have had a green mountain barrel made for this gun and installed Seneca sights. There is a slight difference in the color of the barrel and the breech. The words smoothbore on top are not parallel with the lines on the barrel as is the serial number. If it was a built barrel and not a prototype as is advertised someone did a very good job. I either need to buy it to investigate further or maybe go the less expensive route and ask the seller some questions.

I asked the seller some questions he removed the barrel and sent me pictures of the bottom it has a double struck spade stamp on the bottom so in my opinion most definitely a TC barrel or someone went to great lengths toMake an imitation one I see no evidence Of any milling to remove any previous stamps this one may be a very rare bird

No Quinn it went for real close to 600 and without being sure I could not go that high. I have an obsession with Senecas and Cherokees but something on this one just was not right. The Words Smoothbore on the top not being parallel with the lines of the barrel finally put an end to my bidding. Never saw a TC Barrel with the lettering crooked.

Ahh, ha. Crocked lettering?
That is why I specifically said, "Is the barrel actually stamped ".46 caliber" with a professional roll stamp? "

A neatly stamped factory barrel would have neatly stamped, letters and numbers on it marked parallel with the barrel.
With the word Smoothbore not being stamped parallel with the barrel, it tells me that someone has been frinkling with it. You did the right thing to avoid buying it.

I know I did but man it took all of my limited willpower. :)
And took close to $600 of someone else’s money. Find a Seneca sewer pipe (they are out there) and have someone like Bobby Hoyt make you a 46 caliber smooth bore. Don’t remember what he quoted for doing a smoothbore (it was years ago when asked about him doing one), but believe it was on the correct side of $100. Unless you are looking for a ‘factory’ 46 caliber smoothbore..... maybe TC’s Fox Ridge custom shop made a few back in the day and they are out there to be found. Don’t know, never heard of one, not to mention ever seeing one.

I havent seen one either so let the hunt begin for a rough bored Seneca barrel. I have had one very serious TC collector tell me that he knows of 7 smoothbore Seneca barrels that were ordered from the custom shop by members of a Fire Department and has saw one of those guns sold by a family member. He has provided me a lot of guidance since I started getting into these guns and has a wonderful collection of them. Funny part is he has never fired a smallbore and only hunted a small amount with a renegade when he was younger.

Back