• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Longrife to buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinR

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am very close to jumping in with both feet to purchase a kit, but the decision has been a hard one to make. Right now I am trying to decide between a Track of the Wolf Southern Mountain flintlock longrifle vs a TVM Early Virginia kit. I would love to get a Jim Kilber kit but for me I need a Left-handed flint.

I have two TVM Early Virginia left hand flintlocks and love them. I don't have the skill or patience to build a kit. (I could do a "handcrafted in the white"). Good quality parts and great folks to deal with..

ADK Bigfoot

I have never bought from TVM but have heard good about them. And guns I’ve seen of theirs is top notch.
I would like Kibler and enjoy his build vids
Track is #1 in my book, but oft time parts on on back order.
Sitting Fox was good when I bought from them.
Pecotonic is tops.
Most have the same parts sold about the same price. And you rarely hear any complaints about service. I think whom ever you go to will do you well.

I am very close to jumping in with both feet to purchase a kit, but the decision has been a hard one to make. Right now I am trying to decide between a Track of the Wolf Southern Mountain flintlock longrifle vs a TVM Early Virginia kit. I would love to get a Jim Kilber kit but for me I need a Left-handed flint.
Just some food for thought: I am a right handed shooter, but think my opposite hand shooting would apply to you also. 95% of my BP shooting is with a flinter. When I shoot my 12 gauge double flinter and discharge the left barrel, I see no difference in a reaction to the flash and detonation. Really, what difference does it make what side of the stock the lock is on? If you are wanting a LH for appearance, I agree with that thought. If you are concerned about flash on the opposite side, don't. Just my thoughts.
Good luck in your decision...........JK is a good one!
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Seems to me that you have a choice of going with the vendor you trust the most and accepting a kit that they offer, even if it's not ideal, or going with the style that your heart is set on and finding the vendor who offers the kit that comes closest to that. I think if you like the SMR, go with Track and if you really want an early Virginia, then go with TVM. Both have decent reputations and can provide a reasonable product. I find myself struggling with these questions all the time, but invariably I decide what rifle/build I want first, then I decide who should provide the parts.

I also shoot left handed and built a left sided one for myself. This spring I got a Kibler flint that is right handed and can’t notice any difference between shooting them. Besides the old timers rarely built left hand guns.

Any of the three mentioned would be very good choices, indeed...,

Depending on the skill of the person assembling them vs. how much assembly was done beforehand. 😉
In my case I would have the lock and barrel installed by the kit maker, IF that was an option. But that's just me.

LD

Being left-handed, I shoot rifles with both locks. The only difference is if the RH rifle has a lot of castoff in the stock. Makes it harder to get behind the sights Lockwise I can't tell any difference. The upside of a RH rifle is that your nose blocks part of flash. Whatever you decide, get it with a swamped barrel. To my eye TVM leaves too much of a web between the barrel and ramrod channel. That leaves the ramrod hanging out from the nosecap.

With the Kibler installing the barrel and lock is the easiest thing I’ve ever did on any kit. I’ve built a number of kits and an hour spent on the Kibler was equal to a day on any other kit. Not one piece required any head scratching or rework. I’m not a long winded fellow by nature but if I wanted a southern rifle his would be the only choice for me.

they claim Kibler kits are the best and easiest! no doubt that is what I would get. I bought a TVM kit and it was a nightmare for a no talented bum like me! with help from a friend we got through it but I would never do that again! i just buy them done nowadays. but I would get a Kibler for sure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

When I built my SMR, I talked to Kibler but they only went up to .45 cal. I needed 50 minimum for elk hunting should I decide to get that late Cow muzzy tag. I got what I wanted from Pecatonica. Cal, swamped barrel, etc.

Likely the easiest kit you'll ever find is the Kibler kit. TVM has a kit that's a close second - not the "builder's kit, mind you - with their "standard kit" which is fully inletted and only needs assembling and barrel/stock finished. If you run into trouble, unlikely, Both Jim Kibler and Matt at TVM are always available to answer questions and talk you through it. I have more than one TVM, among other builds, and have never been dissatisfied.

I'm no expert on Southern long rifles. Weren't most of them smaller calibers? Not many elk or buffalo down there back then.

I have not used a TVM parts set.

I have assembled and finished four Kiblers, two SMR and two colonials. They are the best wood to metal fit available. The locks are now the best mass produced locks. That makes them my first choice if I want a Colonial or SMR. The slight addition cost is of no consequence if you value your time at all.

I have also scratch built about two dozen rifles and several pistols and shotguns. I have also stocked a bunch of modern guns. I have used abuta dozen regular parts sets. Based on my experience I would rather build from a plank than use a common pre carved stock. Precarves range from OK, most are problematical, some are completely unusable. I usually spend more time figuring work arounds for built in errors than the time saved working from a plank. They normally end up with inletting gaps that were not my fault. I have also used some expensive pre carved stocks for firewood. IT is a pig in a poke.

A precarve and parts set will get you a usable rifle. It may have construction flaws and will likely not be historically correct.

IF you want an elk rifle I suggest a Kibler Colonial in 62. That is if you can use the right hand stock. Good luck.

Last edited:
Just some food for thought: I am a right handed shooter, but think my opposite hand shooting would apply to you also. 95% of my BP shooting is with a flinter. When I shoot my 12 gauge double flinter and discharge the left barrel, I see no difference in a reaction to the flash and detonation. Really, what difference does it make what side of the stock the lock is on? If you are wanting a LH for appearance, I agree with that thought. If you are concerned about flash on the opposite side, don't. Just my thoughts.
Good luck in your decision...........JK is a good one!
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲
Flintlocker
I am left handed and have shot right handed guns all my life. About 15 years ago I got a left handed Benelli shotgun. I was amazed at how much more I could see after the shot, with the gas and empty not blowing accross my face! I believe it is true with flintlocks.
Just my two cents
3 trees

Here we go again. The man said he's left handed and there's always the people who say they are shooting right handed guns. There are always people trying to persuade someone else into doing what they are doing. I'm sure this person wants a gun that fits his needs, and he doesnt want to adapt.

Again I'll say buy what you want and don't adapt.

I am going to also suggest Pecatonica river. They have many choices in left handed firearms kits. Plus they will inlet as much or as little as you want. I'm left handed as well and I ordered my stock without the lock inlet. This way I could inlet at my choosing.

If you don’t see what you want at Pecatonica or Sitting Fox call and ask I know Pecatonica has lots of options not listed on their website.
Keep in mind these parts sets require lots of work and some skill to build. The butt plate cut to close fit at pecatonica is well worth the extra cost and is very close to fitting.

Back