• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the gear previously mentioned, plus a small tin box that contains needles stuck into a cork, sinew, waxed linen thread, a small ball of leather whangs and a small chunk of beeswax. There's a bone-handled awl in it's own small pouch attached to my bag strap along with a tin cup, my short starter, a patch knife and (often) a small bullet mold, and of course my main powder horn. There's an L-shaped iron turnscrew. a small metal file, and a small pair of iron pliers. A second tin box has cleaning jags, patch worm, ball screw, bronze bore brush, and - depending on the long gun - either spare flints and flint pads or spare nipples and a nipple wrench. In the main pouch there are a couple rolls of spare patch material, cleaning patches, a bullet bag, cans of caps (if shooting a percussion), a capper, a small cleaning brush, a small priming horn, a small salt horn, two spoons, my tinder box with flint `n steel outfit and a small amount of dry tinder, a soft buckskin pouch with a sharpening stone and another with a burning glass. Non-traditional items: A spare pair of reading glasses and a little bottle of aspirin. I have a folding lead ladle in my possibles along with a couple of 1-pound bars of pure lead but I quit carrying them in my hunting pouch. If I were heading into the mountains for the winter all this would be duplicated in saddle panniers on a pack pony "just in case" along with extra tins of caps, extra powder and lead, spare knives and hatchets, files and sharpening stones, oil, plus some cards of needles and other needfuls.

I have to ask, how long are some of you going for when you hunt?

"If you take a small pouch that holds bullets, a bullet board,
.530 bullet mold, very tiny brass funnel used to help reload by horn with powder, etc.."

Because sometimes I go a trekking, and the point is to try to experience what it would be like if you weren't going to return to the 21st century by way of your car after only a few nights. 😉

Besides, I also do living history demonstrations and it's a lot easier to find what I need for the .54 rifle if it's in the one bag. 👍

So If overnighting and I had a shot and got some game, I can clean the rifle. I have the skinning knife to clean the game. (OH I forgot I keep my flint and steel in there too.)

If at an event and I'm shooting targets, I have the bullets and tools, and the funnel to refill the horn when I'm done. If it rains I have the cow's knee.

If I have the time and the lead, at an event I can cast a few round ball...,

LD

Balls, a bunch of cleaning patches, jags, and a turnscrew. I’ve been experimenting lately with tying a strip of cleaning patch material on my bag strap to be sliced off at need with my knife. Works pretty good. Might soon be just balls, jags, a turnscrew, and two or three precut cleaning patches.
Bob, speaking of, do you remember where you got the turnscrew(s) seen in your videos?

All of the gear previously mentioned, plus a small tin box that contains needles stuck into a cork, sinew, waxed linen thread, a small ball of leather whangs and a small chunk of beeswax. There's a bone-handled awl in it's own small pouch attached to my bag strap along with a tin cup, my short starter, a patch knife and (often) a small bullet mold, and of course my main powder horn. There's an L-shaped iron turnscrew. a small metal file, and a small pair of iron pliers. A second tin box has cleaning jags, patch worm, ball screw, bronze bore brush, and - depending on the long gun - either spare flints and flint pads or spare nipples and a nipple wrench. In the main pouch there are a couple rolls of spare patch material, cleaning patches, a bullet bag, cans of caps (if shooting a percussion), a capper, a small cleaning brush, a small priming horn, a small salt horn, two spoons, my tinder box with flint `n steel outfit and a small amount of dry tinder, a soft buckskin pouch with a sharpening stone and another with a burning glass. Non-traditional items: A spare pair of reading glasses and a little bottle of aspirin. I have a folding lead ladle in my possibles along with a couple of 1-pound bars of pure lead but I quit carrying them in my hunting pouch. If I were heading into the mountains for the winter all this would be duplicated in saddle panniers on a pack pony "just in case" along with extra tins of caps, extra powder and lead, spare knives and hatchets, files and sharpening stones, oil, plus some cards of needles and other needfuls.

You forgot the Venison jerky....I think.

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to the pouch or bag hanging off his shoulder which holds his shooting supplies. For a thorough, if not exhaustive, review of the names for this item, you'll want to check here: What is the proper name for a possibles bag?

However, this thread has moved on to a discussion what might be included with one's "possibles." John Palliser (1807-1887) traveled the northern plains of North America in 1847 -1848, mainly for sport. He was a very keen hunter. He wrote his memoirs of this trip in Solitary Rambles and Adventures of a Hunter in the Prairies. The dedication in that book included his recommendations to other travelers for guns, knives, horse, and saddle, but he also listed a complete inventory of everything the hunter and traveler might need to "...pass from Independence to the Pacific Ocean."

Palliser, p. 17 (2).jpg

Palliser, p. 18 (2).jpg

I've read over that list many times. How many of us could plunge into the wilderness and survive, with kit like that? Palliser did visit a good many of the trading posts in his travels and re-supply when needed, but he must have traveled light, and judging from his book, he enjoyed every minute of it.

The entire text of Palliser's book is available to read online, courtesy of of HathiTrust: Solitary Rambles It's a great read, if you're interested in that place and time.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Last year I had an extra nipple, a ball puller, a T handle that threads into my ramrod, nipple wrench, capper full of caps, Four color coded vials of powder (two for the rifle, two for the pistol), 4 balls, 4 "pre-cut" patches (cut at muzzle, picked up at the range), some beef jerky, and a sandwich. I also have a short starter in a loop on the side, and in this case I carried my pistol ramrod as my short starter.

I've read over that list many times. How many of us could plunge into the wilderness and survive, with kit like that?

Notchy Bob

All of us . Or at least many of us. Most of us have learned woodsman skills and life in the eastern forest is different then the high plains or the Rockies and the Great Basin- plateau region is different still. So the skills we practice in one area might not easily carry over to another.
However:
I think many of us have the skills needed, fat bellies, arthritis, bad knees not withstanding.
The thing is we’re spoiled.
We can make a shelter, at least we know how but it’s a lot easier to carry a canvas. We can make a game soup and even gather some wild plans for flavor, but it’s nicer to have some spices, a bit of Tabasco and a chocolate bar is tasty.
We like our toys, and we like our creature comforts, even when we’re being ByGodMountianMen, tough as raw hide.

And Brokennock, i’ve been reading hete long enough to start getting a basic understanding of the distinction between “possibles bag” and “shot bag” or shooting bag. Could you and/or others post up some pictures of your separate bags.

I started building what i always heard referred to as possibles bags out of leather and then making haversacks out of butt packs, gas mask bags or whatever i can find. Some may look like a sow’s purse but that’s just fine!

don
I hadn't taken any pics of my latest "possibles bag," or bag for generalized stuff. So I just took a few,
20200821_111452.jpg
20200821_111557.jpg
20200821_111806.jpg
20200821_111635.jpg
The bag I've been using for years has been that oil/waxed cotton "haversack" commercially made. Can't remember who I purchased it from, some bushcraft website.
20200821_111618.jpg
20200821_111726.jpg

As for shot pouches, I've posted these before, I'll just see what is quickly available on my phone,
20171106_152034.jpg
20171106_152109.jpg
20171106_153226.jpg
20171106_152820.jpg
This is my primary hunting shot pouch. It is small and tight. Not everything shown in the last pic is always in the bag, some of it is not used at all anymore as it is an old photo. I have since trimmed the flap and added a decorative bound edge. It is a little tight for doing a lot of shooting on the range.

I made this bag, and posted about its construction elsewhere, as an excersize in what is possible just from craft store stuff and what is on hand. It has actually worked out really well for range use, I will probably make a copy of it with better materials for a second bag for hunting to go with my other smooth bore,

Okay those have to go in another reply,

I hadn't taken any pics of my latest "possibles bag," or bag for generalized stuff. So I just took a few,
View attachment 40479
View attachment 40478
View attachment 40476
View attachment 40477
The bag I've been using for years has been that oil/waxed cotton "haversack" commercially made. Can't remember who I purchased it from, some bushcraft website.
View attachment 40481
View attachment 40480

As for shot pouches, I've posted these before, I'll just see what is quickly available on my phone,
View attachment 40482
View attachment 40483
View attachment 40484
View attachment 40485
This is my primary hunting shot pouch. It is small and tight. Not everything shown in the last pic is always in the bag, some of it is not used at all anymore as it is an old photo. I have since trimmed the flap and added a decorative bound edge. It is a little tight for doing a lot of shooting on the range.

I made this bag, and posted about its construction elsewhere, as an excersize in what is possible just from craft store stuff and what is on hand. It has actually worked out really well for range use, I will probably make a copy of it with better materials for a second bag for hunting to go with my other smooth bore,

Okay those have to go in another reply,
So I can only attach 10 pictures per reply, here are the other shot pouch pics,
20200212_201615.jpg
20200212_201701.jpg
20200229_115207.jpg
20200226_001649.jpg
The little inside pocket hangs freely from buttons as I intended to make another longer divided one that will hold slate turkey call strikers and interchange them, using this bag for calls in the spring and the other shot pouch as it was intended. The little pouch holds a few wads, or paper cartridges, or some patch material quite nicely.

As for the newest "possibles bag" or bag for general stuff. It is made of split bison hide and some stuff I found at a craft or fabric store for the strap. The button hole in the false flap holds my pipe nicely. I intend to add more decoration to that flap at some point.

Another variation of Whistle Pig shot bag. So far my first and only one I have made. Two large inside pockets with one small for my primer; keeps things separated so I dont have to scrounge.

They told me the smoked German tanned buckskin from Crazy Crow would not work do to stretching, but it's going on two years now and holding up grate. The back panel was near rawhide so that helped along with the ticking liner. The strap is also buckskin, with hemp canvas sewed inside (all hand done)

Attachments

• 20200821_132622.jpg
    20200821_132622.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200821_132848.jpg
    20200821_132848.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200821_132715.jpg
    20200821_132715.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 64
I don't have a ny "possible" bags. I carry "just what is necessary to fire and clean the firearm" bags. Only shooting and cleaning gear.

I made up a little tool roll for the rifle. The smoothbore is even more spartan. I have since dropped the ball block for a half dozen paper ball cartridges.

Attachments

• 4DC753BB-5252-41C8-95C4-74A3419CE42D_1_105_c.jpeg
    4DC753BB-5252-41C8-95C4-74A3419CE42D_1_105_c.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 6ADD4204-FEEA-4E9A-8D78-0AF7B9932C58.jpeg
    6ADD4204-FEEA-4E9A-8D78-0AF7B9932C58.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 83
What do you like to carry in your possible bags.? I have a pouch for balls, a horn for powder. Knife is on my hip.
For a day out at the range, I carry my lunch, a pipe and some tobacco, my fire starting kit with a burning lens for lighting my pipe, a folding knife and sharpening stone, and my tin cup.

Shooting supplies go in the shot pouch; powder/shot measure, ball, wads, a small priming horn, an extra flint, turn screw, gun worm, a brass wire mounted on a small antler handle I call my priming wire. some cleaning patches. If they're shooting clay pigeons, I may decide to join in the fun and will bring along the necessary bird shot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back