• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder horn by my hand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bored the other day and tried my hand at making a horn, it's far from perfect, but I feel it would make a nice simple day horn.

20200819_091644.jpg

Looks good to me, and you made it that's important, I have a few professionally made horns, but when it comes down to use I always carry one I made. As with most of the things that I take to the fields and woods as to make the long guns go bang I made them, for me that's a important aspect of the hobby.

I think it looks fine. A sturdy, no nonsense working man’s tool. I see so many horns that seem overly embellished and a bit too frilly although very beautiful works of art. I realize there were plenty of fancy horns used then but I wonder how long a horn lasted with daily use out in the weather and woods and what not. I’m sure there was ways to repair them when needed. I digress.

I think it looks fine. A sturdy, no nonsense working man’s tool. I see so many horns that seem overly embellished and a bit too frilly although very beautiful works of art. I realize there were plenty of fancy horns used then but I wonder how long a horn lasted with daily use out in the weather and woods and what not. I’m sure there was ways to repair them when needed. I digress.

That was the idea I had, I didn't want anything real fancy.

Nice work Tennessee! I'm a firm believer in functionality over looks. If you want looks put it on a shelf or hang it on the wall, if you want something that works keep it simple.

Tenn, we all look at your horn and think of our first one; Mine was retrieved from an old cow skull on a fence post on a long neglected and forlorn road back in the woods. I plugged the big end with walnut from a downed tree on Uncle Woodrow's land and made a pouring plug from a piece of oak burl. used it for years 'til one day it grew legs and RunnOft. It was very plain but had a warm glow to it.

Tenn, we all look at your horn and think of our first one; Mine was retrieved from an old cow skull on a fence post on a long neglected and forlorn road back in the woods. I plugged the big end with walnut from a downed tree on Uncle Woodrow's land and made a pouring plug from a piece of oak burl. used it for years 'til one day it grew legs and RunnOft. It was very plain but had a warm glow to it.
Warm glow because you made it and gave use to things that were left behind.

FAR FROM PERFECT! I for one Shure would like to have it in my kit!! you did a splendid job in the making of it! how did you get the TOFFEE COLOR going into the white?

Nice first attempt, I'd carry it. It's far nicer than my first horn, which I still have; 50 years later. Keep after the craft, you're on to something. :thumb: Lets see more of 'em.
God bless:
Two Feathers

FAR FROM PERFECT! I for one Shure would like to have it in my kit!! you did a splendid job in the making of it! how did you get the TOFFEE COLOR going into the white?

That's the natural color of the horn, I hand rubbed some neatsfoot oil on it but thats it

Latest posts

Back