• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range time with New Orleans Ace #1

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my first New Orleans Ace from a very honest Member here, and I LOVE IT! šŸ˜ Takes getting used to shooting with no sights, but at 10 feet (after 12 shots) I can hit a 1 gallon milk jug. **I know that is was only intended to shoot across a card table, but I shoot my guns and expect to hit something when I do.**
I originally bought .005" patches and .440 RBs for it and the PA Derringers, but found even with that thin patch the RB goes in hard...so I went bareback and now not using a patch in NOA. I bought the thin patches because I remember how hard a .440 with a .010" patch loaded in my first PA Derringers, and hoped to avoid this.
10 grns. of 3F is fun to shoot, even my 74 y/o mother shot it and loved it.

Good shooting ! Question, where did you get .005" patches?
I recently bought an old Kentucky pistol and the .005 patch was recommended. All I was able to get were the .010". Which seem to load ok but I would like to try a thinner patch.

I recently bought an old Kentucky pistol and the .005 patch was recommended. All I was able to get were the .010". Which seem to load ok but I would like to try a thinner patch.
PM sent....I don't know the rules about posting links here.

I found high count bed sheets measure around .008ā€ thick, and compress to .0055ā€. Donā€™t know if that helps.

Iā€™ve seen folks carry muff guns like this using a modern .32/.380 or similar shell casing over the capped nipple. This way you can keep the nipple capped and the hammer down on the case, but the case keeps pressure off of the cap. To fire, cock the hammer back and tilt the gun to the side for the casing to fall off of the nipple, then make smoke.

-Jake

I go to a thrift store,like badwill or starvation army, and check the pants pocket linings. Found some very thin, and strong, patching that way.best to confine your search to the menā€™s section, or you will get funny looks.
The pants pocket linings are made from the fabric, pocket drill. My favorite patch material. Its .018" thick, all cotton and holds lubrication well.

Iā€™ve seen folks carry muff guns like this using a modern .32/.380 or similar shell casing over the capped nipple. This way you can keep the nipple capped and the hammer down on the case, but the case keeps pressure off of the cap. To fire, cock the hammer back and tilt the gun to the side for the casing to fall off of the nipple, then make smoke.

-Jake

Hereā€™s my Pedersoli .44 with a .380 case used as a cap safety. Perfect for carry in a coat pocket while walking the dog.
DEE57F54-683B-4D2A-B18E-BFDDAE33118A.jpeg

-Jake

Back