• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Well now I'm hooked!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20200804_125720~3.jpg

I haven't owned a Flintlock since I had a CVA Renegade in the mod 80s. I have a Hawken .50 cal made by the Sharon Rifle Barrel Company that I've been shooting for a number of years which I love, great gun. Recently I got into the Longhunter persona and picked up a Traditions Shenandoah .50 Flintlock. I know it's not a fancy $2,000 Pennsylvania long rifle but I wanted a "shooter" for hunting on my land in Kentucky. I finally got everything needed to shoot it today with my 9 year old son. Goex 3f and 4f, black English flints, round balls, horn and bag all the accoutrements. We headed down to our 16 acre forest this morning and tried her out. I had so much fun shooting this rifle! I was putting rounds on paper in no time. My boy thought it was the coolest thing too. I can't wait to go shooting my new Flinter again and see if I can bag me a deer this season!

View attachment 40122
I haven't owned a Flintlock since I had a CVA Renegade in the mod 80s. I have a Hawken .50 cal made by the Sharon Rifle Barrel Company that I've been shooting for a number of years which I love, great gun. Recently I got into the Longhunter persona and picked up a Traditions Shenandoah .50 Flintlock. I know it's not a fancy $2,000 Pennsylvania long rifle but I wanted a "shooter" for hunting on my land in Kentucky. I finally got everything needed to shoot it today with my 9 year old son. Goex 3f and 4f, black English flints, round balls, horn and bag all the accoutrements. We headed down to our 16 acre forest this morning and tried her out. I had so much fun shooting this rifle! I was putting rounds on paper in no time. My boy thought it was the coolest thing too. I can't wait to go shooting my new Flinter again and see if I can bag me a deer this season!
Very nice. My wife owns a Traditions Tennessee .. smaller version of your rifle. Polecat

that's great hatchet! my first flinter wasn't a 2,000 gun either. it was a lyman hawken, in 50 but i tell you this it shot as good as my fancy rifles do! and killed deer dead! that is a nice looking gun. sounds like you had a good time with your son,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Flints are ml on steroids. Every thing that draws a person to a ml is more so with flinters.
I’m sure wheelocks are the same but are rare and what’s around is prohibitively expensive, and short history around them.
I think better then 90% of muzzleloaders that don’t like flint, other then those who play in a period where flint isn’t appropriate, have had bad experience with a poor flint lock.
If’n you like white smoke and round balls flint just draws you in.
And the truly nerdy go smoothie

I've owned a few Traditions and liked them a lot. Once you jump into the "flint river" you'll never get out; be prepared for more of them.

Hatchet-Jack,
Glad things went so well and your son is excited, too. Yeah, flintlocks are addicting. Good luck with hunting season. Thanks for sharing the good news and the new enthusiasm.

BTW, if you boy is too small to share your rifle, Traditions makes the Deerhunter. It's a short, 24" barrel flintlock and pretty affordable. Doesn't look like something used by Danl Boone but it has been reliable and decently accurate. Just in case.

Jeff

Black powder shooting (traditional) is the most fun and utterly satisfying of all the shooting types IMHO.

I just... I can’t even! It’s just the best. I never leave the range more relaxed and happy after a day with my rifles or cap n’ balls. It’s sort of a dedicated thing and I think the extra work makes it feel like you achieved more. Love it!!!

Back