• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pistol Stock Carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRussell

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a pistol stock fore-end carved like this?
There is a raised bead along the ramrod groove, which is often seen, but this one continues right to the end and turns up to reach the barrel channel. It would strengthen the fragile end without using a separate cap.
This one is on a pistol by Thomas Green of London circa 1690; Green was the root of the Wilson gunmaking dynasty, suppliers to the Hudson's Bay Company and other buyers of trade guns.
The ramrod is a replacement.

- Bill
219_4 ed crp 2.jpg

Thanks, Dave -

I've found photos of work by Charles Warren, John Dafte, Ermendinger, and Ellis that may have that feature (Bedford collection), but the photo quality is too poor to tell for sure. The three you name would certainly be likely candidates, but I haven't found photos of such yet.

- Bill

Back