• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken price question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at my LGS and they had a T/C Hawken percussion in pretty good condition overall. It was an earlier model 70,XXX serial number range. The only issue I saw was that the lock would not go into half cock and just didn't feel smooth at all. I know it's difficult to tell without taking it apart and looking inside but what would the fix typically be and how much would it cost? The rifle is listed for $250 so I want to see if I can talk them down on account of the rifle not being 100% functional.

Thanks,
Dave

The lock issue sounds like the sear adjustment screw is in too far, which is a simple fix.
I guess 250 is a decent price. I've seen TC's on some sites going for a lot more.
If you can get it a bit cheaper than the asking price, that would be a good deal.

The lock issue sounds like the sear adjustment screw is in too far, which is a simple fix.
I guess 250 is a decent price. I've seen TC's on some sites going for a lot more.
If you can get it a bit cheaper than the asking price, that would be a good deal.
Thanks! That's sounds like a potentially easy fix. I'd like to see if I can talk them down to $200.

I was at my LGS and they had a T/C Hawken percussion in pretty good condition overall. It was an earlier model 70,XXX serial number range. The only issue I saw was that the lock would not go into half cock and just didn't feel smooth at all. I know it's difficult to tell without taking it apart and looking inside but what would the fix typically be and how much would it cost? The rifle is listed for $250 so I want to see if I can talk them down on account of the rifle not being 100% functional.

Thanks,
Dave
I had a similar issue with my Hawken , ser#60xxx, mine was sent to S&W for “lifetime “ TC warranty. Long story short they wouldn’t fix it and declared it unsafe because of bore size-.500 & .507-
Upon return to me I found the needed parts on e-bay, fixed it myself and find it shoots very well. Total cost $60. I replaced the main spring guide rod and the sear, easy job but finding the original sear may take time. Both suddenly failed while shooting. Yours sounds like only a set trigger adjustment.
At the same time, a friend bought a preowned but never fired .50 Hawken for $350.
They are beautiful reproductions.

Attachments

• 3A5E2445-ACAE-45D0-AA72-76C7D88B16C6.jpeg
    3A5E2445-ACAE-45D0-AA72-76C7D88B16C6.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 90
I had a similar issue with my Hawken , ser#60xxx, mine was sent to S&W for “lifetime “ TC warranty. Long story short they wouldn’t fix it and declared it unsafe because of bore size-.500 & .507-
Upon return to me I found the needed parts on e-bay, fixed it myself and find it shoots very well. Total cost $60. I replaced the main spring guide rod and the sear, easy job but finding the original sear may take time. Both suddenly failed while shooting. Yours sounds like only a set trigger adjustment.
At the same time, a friend bought a preowned but never fired .50 Hawken for $350.
They are beautiful reproductions.
Sounds like issue isn't too hard to fix. Next time I get a chance to get to the store and it's still available I'll give them an offer.

Thanks,
Dave

Thanks,
Dave
The attached from the original T/C owner’s manual may help you out. Good luck.

Attachments

• 79FD993D-C0DA-4E1C-895A-353492FEFBC5.png
    79FD993D-C0DA-4E1C-895A-353492FEFBC5.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 107
The adjustment screw on the TC triggers does not adjust the position of the trigger blades that trip the sear. The screw adjusts the movement of the front trigger before the rear trigger releases. It has nothing to do with the lock going into, or not going into the half cock notch.

Although the CVA and maybe some of the Traditions rifles locks have an adjustment screw for the sear, it only changes the amount of engagement the nose of the sear has with the full cock notch. It does not have a thing to do with the half cock notch.

If the TC lock fails to go into the half cock position there is a good chance that the nose of the sear has been damaged although it also could be as simple as loosening the screw that goes thru the sear arm to hold it in position.
A lot of people think all screws need to be tight so, they tighten them all up. Unfortunately, this is not the thing to do with the screw that holds the sear arm in place in the lock. This screw should be "snug" but not tight.
To see if this screw is too tight, remove the lock. Then, with the lock in the "fired" position, move the sear arm lever upwards. It should move freely and return to the former position because of the spring pressure that is on it.
Speaking of the spring pressure on the sear arm, it is also possible the spring was "adjusted" by the previous owner. If he compressed that coil spring to make it "lighter", he might have overdone it. If he caused the spring to be too short, it might not have enough strength to push the sear into the half cock notch.

Zonie, might it have a bad tumbler where the halfcock notch is chipped or broken? As you suggest the nose of the sear being damaged is more likely.

My TC Hawken will not go into the half cock when lowering from full clock. This is due to the fly doing its job. You have to lower it to the fired or uncocked position first and then bring it to the half. Then it should ( or will if nothing's wrong) drop into the half.
The fly is there to allow the sear to bypass the half clock when using the set trigger. The set trigger basically slaps the sear and without the fly it would catch the half cock on the way down.
Bad things happen then...

The adjustment screw on the TC triggers does not adjust the position of the trigger blades that trip the sear. The screw adjusts the movement of the front trigger before the rear trigger releases. It has nothing to do with the lock going into, or not going into the half cock notch.

Although the CVA and maybe some of the Traditions rifles locks have an adjustment screw for the sear, it only changes the amount of engagement the nose of the sear has with the full cock notch. It does not have a thing to do with the half cock notch.

If the TC lock fails to go into the half cock position there is a good chance that the nose of the sear has been damaged although it also could be as simple as loosening the screw that goes thru the sear arm to hold it in position.
A lot of people think all screws need to be tight so, they tighten them all up. Unfortunately, this is not the thing to do with the screw that holds the sear arm in place in the lock. This screw should be "snug" but not tight.
To see if this screw is too tight, remove the lock. Then, with the lock in the "fired" position, move the sear arm lever upwards. It should move freely and return to the former position because of the spring pressure that is on it.
Speaking of the spring pressure on the sear arm, it is also possible the spring was "adjusted" by the previous owner. If he compressed that coil spring to make it "lighter", he might have overdone it. If he caused the spring to be too short, it might not have enough strength to push the sear into the half cock notch.
Thanks Zonie. Sounds like it's fixable, just need to open it up and figure out what the problem is. If I can get the price down I'd be willing to take the risk of buying it. Worst case I replace the lock or upgrade to an L&R or something.

Thanks!
Dave

I’d tell the seller the lock needs work to be safe. It may be a cheap fix or major but we don’t know. Then offer $150, maybe $175. That way if it takes serious money to fix you haven’t over spent.

Thanks,
Dave
Take something that will reflect light and fit easily down the bore. Shine a flashlight down the bore, if it's good buy it.
Nit Wit

Thanks,
Dave

TC locks don’t have sear adjustment screws. From your description of the problem, if the notches in the tumbler are good i’d wager the screws that hold the bridle have worked loose. this allows parts to wobble around and not function correctly and make it seem like yer gun is fallin apart. Pretty common problem with TC’s.

if it’s in overall good shape other than the lock glitch it’s probably worth the 250 but l’d still talk him down to 200.

my opinion and you’re welcome to it.

I’d tell the seller the lock needs work to be safe. It may be a cheap fix or major but we don’t know. Then offer $150, maybe $175. That way if it takes serious money to fix you haven’t over spent.
Worst case scenario, you can get a better new lock here for $50 ---> Davis "Deerslayer" Trigger
Take something that will reflect light and fit easily down the bore. Shine a flashlight down the bore, if it's good buy it.
Nit Wit
TC locks don’t have sear adjustment screws. From your description of the problem, if the notches in the tumbler are good i’d wager the screws that hold the bridle have worked loose. this allows parts to wobble around and not function correctly and make it seem like yer gun is fallin apart. Pretty common problem with TC’s.

if it’s in overall good shape other than the lock glitch it’s probably worth the 250 but l’d still talk him down to 200.

my opinion and you’re welcome to it.

This is all great advice! I truly appreciate everyone sharing. I’m hoping it’s still available next time I make it out there. I know with this community I’ll be able to turn it into a good shooter if it isn’t already.

Back