• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain and flint.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done @Britsmoothy!

Self timer sir. Most cameras and phone cameras have timers for the shutter.

Self timers and GorrillaPods make life much easier when you want to be in the pic. Any time you see a pic with me in it you can be sure it was taken using a self timer.

That's a very fine looking gun you're carrying, too. An interesting difference between UK shooters as opposed to shooters here in the colonies, is that in the UK they wear Sunday clothes and look rather "gentlemanly". But in the colonies we typically dress much more like the homeless more likely than not, and look ...well, scruffy

Great observation @hanshi! A few days ago I was thinking about this when looking at pics of Saxton Pope and Art Young wearing ties while bow hunting. One advantage of my "scruffy" attire is that I don't mind blood from game getting on them. :thumb:

Great observation @hanshi! A few days ago I was thinking about this when looking at pics of Saxton Pope and Art Young wearing ties while bow hunting. One advantage of my "scruffy" attire is that I don't mind blood from game getting on them. :thumb:
Blood??.....that's what the servants are for 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm already out and it starts to rain I usually stay out unless it starts to pour. If I plan a Flintlock hunt and it's raining when I get up, I usually leave it in the cabinet, and grab one of my modern guns, or I don't go out at all.

So that was Monday. Damp Monday! Did I clean the gun?
Nope.
Did I worry about it?
Nope
Why?
Because I use a grease type of lubricant suitable for black powder. Ok this time it was Wonder lube, that I don't rate very highly but I used it this time.
So Saturday morning comes and I load it up just like Monday. No crusty sensations as I ram the cards. They just slide down as normal.
I never cleaned the lock either.

This morning I missed two squirrels and then got two with one shot!
IMG_20200801_111356109.jpg

This morning I cleaned the gun like normal. Boiled water after a disposable kitchen wipe was run in the bore and out again. Water in, water out until it runs clear. Now a drying patch ( that still comes out black but that's just carbon) then while hot my bee's wax and olive oil inside and out.
I removed the lock, the first time in years. Under the soot was clean steel. Zero damage! I had coated the inside of the lock with my same lube!

This is nothing new to me and I chuckle at the sense of panic many sublimely emit about having to clean their guns in an urgent rush.
Use a good black powder lubricant, preferably home made and regime during loading whether rifle or smoothbore and you need not worry your selves stupid about that old nasty black powder!

It rains in England? o_O I lived there three years and do know better. ;) Never hunted there but here, when hunting in rainy weather with my flintlock I carried primed with my hand over the lock to protect it. Key to success is a good lock properly set up.
Was in England three times … London … so foggy I never got to see the clock on Big Ben.. Rats

Remember a couple of years back our group did a woods walk competition in Noah’s Ark down poor! Gallons of water poured from the skies by the second.

Everyone was having a hard time. I managed but was extremely difficult to say the least.

The hardest part for me was not falling on my ass slipping and sliding on that god awful muddy trail we were navigating! The trails were very hilly and muddy.

I was wearing a pair of Townsend trekking shoes with flat bottom sole’s. Had to be period correct you know!

Thought I was back in Wyoming on the ski bunny slopes. Was definitely a sight to see. Ya just had to be there!😂

Respectfully, Cowboy

Hunting is supposed to be challenging. That is why it is not called 'harvesting'.
Yes it is supposed to be challenging, but there's no law that states you must hunt in the rain. If it floats your boat go for it. It's not for everyone, especially us old farts.

Actually Britsmoothy you look very well dressed for a English hunter, me on the other hand I lean very much to the scruffy look, as to the rain most of the really larger deer I have shot was in very bad weather I like the rain and especially the snow hunting and yes I am now officially a codger, The rabbits I like to hunt right after a light snow especially the evening prior to the hunt track them and find them sitting in the brush look for that big black eye.

Latest posts

Back