• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Denatured alcohol for MAP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends. I’m hoping to make a batch of “MAP” for swabbing between shots, and general cleaning. I have the Murphy’s oil soap and the Peroxide, but can’t find Alcohol at my local stores. It’s one of those things that’s flying off the shelves due to COVID.

I DO HAVE denatured alcohol that I purchased for wood working. Is this an acceptable substitute for rubbing alcohol??
image.jpg

i don't use MAP but I do use DA and/or 91% rubbing alcohol to make a alcohol/olive oil mix for patch lube. They give the same results since the idea is for the alcohol to evaporate and leave the oil evenly distributed in the patch material. The DA can be hard on some finishes. The peroxide can be hard on the bore.

This may help: Denatured Alcohol vs. Rubbing Alcohol For the record, I use rubbing alcohol (70%, or better 90%) aka isopropyl alcohol for my MAP. Moreover, household hydrogen peroxide, which is a weak oxidizer, has never rusted or negatively affected the barrels of any of my guns, but you mustn't leave it there for more than 5 - 10 minutes. Use MAP, dry the bore well, and use your favorite oil or rust preventer afterward (e.g., WD-40 first, followed by ATF the next day). Btw. MAP is sometimes known as Friendship Speed Juice (equal amounts of Murphy;s Oil Soap, household peroxide, and rubbing/isopropyl alcohol. Store in a dark bottle if possible).

All I have used has been denatured. It is the highest alcohol you can get [besides Everclear 190] Used to be 8-9 bucks a gallon at the hardware but not today it is more expensive.

MAP Murphy's oil soap, Alcohol, Peroxide gets all the H20 it needs from the peroxide.
I still use it for wiping and cleaning. Works great no need to clean 2-3 days in a row.

I clean by plugging the touch hole and fill the bore with MAP 6-7 minutes later I dump it out and dry with dry patches. When dry a patch soaked in WD49 goes down and up then turned over sent down and up again. Then a dry patch. 4-5 minutes later a patch covered in RIG goes down and up again turned over and down and up.

The gun is wiped down and put away whether for the night at a match or a week between matches or for the the next season. Been my method since 1990.

Guns put away that way I check every year when I do the safe clean all they get is another patch of RIG.

I mix the Murphy's and alcohol together keep in a jug. I add the Peroxide at the Match out of the brown bottle to my spray bottle in the in the 1/3,1/3, 13 amounts

It seems to work for me so I am not changing my method.

Last edited:
I originally started using MAP at the suggestion of the gunsmith who made my first flintlock... but then thought about it and decided that the soap and peroxide weren't likely to add much to the mixture, and both had the potential to cause damage (soap residues and oxidizing effects of peroxide). So now I just use denatured alcohol, which seems to work great. Alcohol dissolves both oils and water soluble residues, so seems to me like the perfect compound, in addition to the fact that it dries quickly.

I wonder -- was MAP thought up by someone who had no knowledge of chemistry, or does the peroxide or soap offer anything (solvent wise) that I'm missing? Soap is just a lipid (i.e. fat/oil) chemically joined with a base (lye), such that either end of the molecule is still soluble in lipids and water. Seems to offer nothing over alcohol in that regard. I can't think of what the peroxide would offer to the mixture, and wonder if it was just a case of someone throwing the kitchen sink at the issue and everyone else just copying them because it works.

Back