• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

This mornings, freehand 5 shot, 50 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk78

Southern Pride
Reaction score
Lyman GPR. 60 grains 3f, .015 patch with oxyokes competition lube, .498 ball. Loads easy to me, but I was a builder for 19 yrs before injury 8 yrs ago. Anyways, I read and practiced the technique here in the forum about closing my eyes for 5 seconds, let my muscles autocorrect, readjust repeat until inline. Works flawlessly to me. What do you guys think about that technique? 2 3/8 diameter bulls, snuff can.
15973661188255928745223951880432.jpg

Nice shooting! .498 ball huh that's a first on me. I'm so decrepit I can't hold the rifle up for more than 5 seconds to take a shot. ;)
Yea, I read several older guys informing the reader to use a ball that is only .005's less than the lands. I bought my mold from Jeff through Ballmolds.com It was a bit pricey and had issues with him, but we got it straight and I highly recommend his one cavity brass molds. He is from England and suggest using a formula to calculate the desired ball diameter allowing for "shrinkage"?? Ao, I ordered a .500 mold, however, I didn't get any shrinkage and they cast to size. He made me a .498 and we split the difference on the new mold's price and been getting casting's of .498 like I need.
Our brothers across the pond believe in shrinkage, must have something to do with the weather?

Lyman GPR. 60 grains 3f, .015 patch with oxyokes competition lube, .498 ball. Loads easy to me, but I was a builder for 19 yrs before injury 8 yrs ago. Anyways, I read and practiced the technique here in the forum about closing my eyes for 5 seconds, let my muscles autocorrect, readjust repeat until inline. Works flawlessly to me. What do you guys think about that technique? 2 3/8 diameter bulls, snuff can.View attachment 39867
Looks like Marine Corps quality. Or as they say in Philly, DUCK M##########!

Lyman GPR. 60 grains 3f, .015 patch with oxyokes competition lube, .498 ball. Loads easy to me, but I was a builder for 19 yrs before injury 8 yrs ago. Anyways, I read and practiced the technique here in the forum about closing my eyes for 5 seconds, let my muscles autocorrect, readjust repeat until inline. Works flawlessly to me. What do you guys think about that technique? 2 3/8 diameter bulls, snuff can.View attachment 39867
cant argue with your system. do you have the standard sites or a peep site. whichever you were zeroed right in there

Back