• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Does a RB travel with constant rotation, or accelerate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think I'm lying, MrMac, look it up --- or talk to a physicist.
Hey guy I am a Physicist, Quantum and otherwise. And check this out: I never called you a liar,
Have a good day smelling the white smoke!
☢☢☢☢☢☢☢♊R🔴

Last edited:
I take it back. There *is* a Physicist around when you need one, Quantum and otherwise.

I take it back. There *is* a Physicist around when you need one, Quantum and otherwise.
Well I am kinda retired/retarded now since 1997... But being a physsisists, is like riding a bicycle, sometimes you hit a bad spot and gravity takes it's toll!

Hey Tenngun, I think that's "... to prove to possums and armadillos it's `possumble."
For anybody who still cares, the answer to the original question about "... Does a round ball rotate at a constant rate after firing or speed up," the Reader's Digest answer is: "No. " And the explanation for that is, "It slows down." But the debate was fun.

You're right, Ghost. It's a factor when you're sighting long range artillery or mortars too. Not so much for rifle fire unless it's extremely long range because at most rifle ranges the target is also on the surface you're on and therefore moving in the same direction at approximately the same speed. But that's not a muzzleloading subject so we'd probably ought to change the flippin' subject .... please?

Where you stand is moving about 7-800 mph to the East. Unless you’re at the equator, in which case it’s moving at 1000 mph. A bullet will go straight up something like 2500’ and return at a max of about 125 mph 30-45 seconds later. Simple math, sans atmospheric influences, but I just ate a huge Philly so I’m out....

OK MrMac. Seemed like it, but I musta mis-read your comment. Did I understand correctly that you're a physsi ... fizzis ... one of those pure science guys your ownself? In a previous incarnation, I was a Enngineer more or less gainfully employed in the US Space Program for a longish time.

But
Where you stand is moving about 7-800 mph to the East. Unless you’re at the equator, in which case it’s moving at 1000 mph. A bullet will go straight up something like 2500’ and return at a max of about 125 mph 30-45 seconds later. Simple math, sans atmospheric influences, but I just ate a huge Philly so I’m out....
But that’s not counting moving around the sun that’s moving around the galactic center that’s falling toward the Virgo cluster of galaxies

Let’s not forget the Philly Cheese Steak I ate. That can throw all sorts of numbers off....
If we model you as a particle we can probably ignore it as statistical noise, but if we model you as a system we’ll need to account for transit of said sandwich.

Now wait ! Is that magnetic poles or geographical poles ? And isnt there a wobble even at the poles so even with the slightest wobble the projectile would not return to its launch location ??? and just how many "S's" are in physississt ?
Is that like M eye SS eye SS eye Pee Pee eye ??

It's brought t out those who consume alcohol and at the end of the day, no.

You all are wetter than a scaldded hog!.. Then if the earth's rotation would change the place a rifle ball shot straight up the ball would always end up a ways West of the fireing spot because the earth is rotating East to West, also if you shot at a target 500 yards South ot North of you the ball would always end uo a ways West to where you shoot, so boresighting the rifle would not work worth a flip. The air is mostly rotating along with the rest of the earth and it would carry that so mentioned lead ball towards the way the wind id blowing,
I have never ever shot a BP rifle straight up but once as a pre teen I did shoot a .22 air rifle straight up under a turkey roosting in a tree 20 ' up and the pellet hit the limb under her (a hen turkey) and she kinda woke up and fell on my colley mut mix dog and he grabbed her and that evening we had roasted hen turkey for supper.
I reckon one wildassed lie here is as good as another....
Lmao, That was a good one.

If I remember my economics essays at school the conclusion is always that 'they are all correct but there are too many variables to give a certain answer'.

The native hunter answer to all accuracy issues is 'get closer'. You learn that if a miss robs your family of dinner on a regular basis.

Did we mention the variable viscosity of air at different humidity, pressures and temperatures and that effect upon the viscous drag on the ball? Or the rotational mass inertia of the ball varying with both the alloy and the diameter? We shall not speak of the homogeneity of the metal.

Going back to the OP (huzzah! cries the crowd); both are incorrect.

There, it has been answered so we can all go back to bed and get some sleep...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back