• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Much awaited Pietta Colt 1851 Navy Brass arrives!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Colt Walker replica on Gonebroker recently, and it is supposed to arrive at my house tomorrow. 🤩

That is awesome news! One more for the collection.

please let us know how it turned out sir. I doubt I will stray from my supplier EMF unless it’s for things that they don’t carry.

I tend to get disappointed much less when I use a trusted vendor so I generally find a company for this or that in life and stick with them. I have a very short list unfortunately.

for me main thing is a vendors ability and willingness to “make it right” when something happens. Sad so many vendors don’t do that.

In my short 44 years on this earth I’ve also learned that a lifetime warranty doesn’t necessarily mean what do you think it would mean with a bad company especially.

for you sir it my hope you will have no issue at all. I send positive juju and wish you the best sir. Oh and congratulations!

The Walker is an excellent stopper. It holds 60 gr. of powder and can hurl a .44 roundy at shocking velocities.

oh man that sounds like a big boy! 60 grain is about the minimum charge of my unmentionable rifle!

oh yeah that’ll send them down range with some authority!

My poor daughter has some wisdom teeth to remove. That takes priority but it’s not stopping me from making a list. Lol

I got a brass and also a steel frame Pietta 1851 from Cabela's few years ago. Both had a very shallow cutout in the recoil shield that didn't have sufficient clearance to apply caps to the nipples. They had to be put on the nipples thru the hammer cutout. I was able to later open them up deeper so they now cap OK.
Has anyone else had this problem?

By permit do you mean the FFL check? If so, that may be a while. Not sure but I think they were doing only 10 per location submitted per day.

I am also definitely interested in an 1860 as well. Going to wait for the panic buying to die down.

Remember when we said 2020 was going to be a great year. Lies.
Background check, ? for a BP replica?

Background check, ? for a BP replica?

I think the other poster was waiting for a background check on a pistol permit in addition to a black powder pistol. Or perhaps New Jersey requires an FFL for black powder. Hard to say I know in New York and some areas you can't even ship an air rifle.

I wanted to buy a BP barrel years ago from a private seller in NJ and he said it had to go thru a FFL so I didn't buy it.

Oh happy day yet bitter sweet day. A one hour drive to a gunsmith netted me 2 lbs of ff goex and some 11 percussion caps. That's the good news. The bad news is I am now officially an "empty nester" daughter is off to college soon.

IMG_20200814_183636_0.jpg

Update:
I went out to the range and shot her yesterday. 15 grain 2f Goex .454 Hornady no patch beeswax olive oil mix on top of ball cci no11 caps. Shot at 10 yard pistol range.

she shoots like a dream at 15grain she has very little recoil and feels like something very nice and modern lol. I told the range officer this is 170 year old technology!

amazing accuracy awesome trigger pull and 0 cap jams or miss fires. After coming home thanks to the mike and Dave my YouTube buddies I did a complete tear down and cleaning put her back together lubed and she feels even better than when I shot her! Smooooth!

Here is a test ball pull!

I want to see what the balls look like after they are placed in the cylinder. Also if I ever needed to remove one I wanted to have the practice under my belt.

Here is a pic of that .454 I love that football type shape after it is “swagged”(sp)into the cylinder!

lovin how it Engages the rifling and spirals down the barrel like a football! Great overall design on the colt.

Definitely want one in steel for cartridges. I have to say I do not regret buying the brass like I thought I would. There is already a Gorgeous patina starting on the brass portion! This may have to do with my bore butter dye as well!
image.jpg

Remove the nipple, remove the powder, and use a brass or copper pin to move the ball out.

Great advice!

That is a safe way to do it! Brass or copper being key!

I ended up using a screw as this was before I purchased a nipple wrench.

I wanted to get a feel for how tight they would be In that cylinder. Definitely your way would’ve been easier to push than pull like I did it!

I knew as soon as I unboxed this pistol that I would be in love with it!

Back