• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Much awaited Pietta Colt 1851 Navy Brass arrives!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this gun in stock? How long did you have to wait?
When I purchased mine it was the first day of a sale by EMF. I didn't realize it then but EMF is the authorized distributor for pietta in the states.

Now when you order it they have to figure out shipping and they actually call you to verify shipping cost your address and collect a statement that you will not be converting it to a cartridge firing pistol.

I ordered Friday night when I got to hold of them on Monday it was explained to me that they might have already sold out and they'd have to check the date and time that I actually placed the order.

Once I submitted the paperwork stating that I wasn't going to convert the cylinder the firearm was shipped within a day.

In total because I purchased early in the sale while there were still in stock I received mine in about 5 days. that's a rough estimate but it couldn't it couldn't be much more than that.

It arrived perfectly packaged undamaged by ups and required an required an adult signature. I noticed also on Monday the price had changed to the regular price of 210.

I don't know if that meant that they only wanted to sell a certain number of them at the sale price or if they were actually running out. However as I stated they still had them available for purchase after the sale on that Monday.

the shipping was a little pricey but understandably so due to the nature of the item being shipped.

Getting ANY percussion revolvers out of Italy is extremely difficult right now.

Production and importation has/had all but come to a full halt. Virtually every seller of these guns is awaiting stock. I ordered a Pietta London Navy months ago and a couple weeks back got a call from the EMF company saying just one example just arrived from Italy. Great folks to deal with. Here is mine:
2B4CD2FF-F376-4D26-BEEF-49D83FF01F06.jpeg

Production and importation has/had all but come to a full halt. Virtually every seller of these guns is awaiting stock. I ordered a Pietta London Navy months ago and a couple weeks back got a call from the EMF company saying just one example just arrived from Italy. Great folks to deal with. Here is mine:
View attachment 39614

Absolutely. the unfortunate panic buying of firearms has made it harder for some people to acquire them.

It started with modern firearms moved to Black powder I even see it in air rifles now it's that bad.

I will say the EMF is an excellent company they put up with me and I can be a little pushy. I think I emailed faxed and telegraphed the agreement they needed before they could ship it. Then I called to confirm receipt. I know I'm a huge pain but I'll make it worth their while.

If they are all on backorder it is my opinion that they are still your best bet.

if I understand correctly the chain goes from mr. Pietta's hands to EMF then to your other vendors. Including a different box designs for some vendors that Italy does directly shipped to. Cimma somthin comes to mind.

Additionally on the Pietta USA website you may order from there however it clearly states all orders will be fulfilled through thier authorized distributor EMF aka Early and Modern Firearms.

Last edited:
I have had a Peitta 36 navy for a couple years the steel frame but really just the same revolver. It flat shoots right to point of aim. i was told that all of them shot way high and my other bp revolver shot very high before i changed the front sight. it is a solid frame Whitney repo. i much prefer the navy model just shoots better and feels better.

View attachment 39614
I got the bug for an 1860 Army about a month ago, and I’m impatiently waiting for my permit to come in, as well as the pistols themselves becoming available. I’m hoping that all comes together by the fall....hoping

I got the bug for an 1860 Army about a month ago, and I’m impatiently waiting for my permit to come in, as well as the pistols themselves becoming available. I’m hoping that all comes together by the fall....hoping
By permit do you mean the FFL check? If so, that may be a while. Not sure but I think they were doing only 10 per location submitted per day.

I am also definitely interested in an 1860 as well. Going to wait for the panic buying to die down.

Remember when we said 2020 was going to be a great year. Lies.

By permit do you mean the FFL check? If so, that may be a while. Not sure but I think they were doing only 10 per location submitted per day.

I am also definitely interested in an 1860 as well. Going to wait for the panic buying to die down.

New Jersey Handgun permit. I know, NJ is ridiculous. Autumn can’t come fast enough...hopefully 2021 is a better year

Half-Cocked,
Go to Youtube and look up: duelist1954 OR Blackie Thomas

Mike Believeau has a separate web site that you might find interesting.

Ok Blackie Thomas, Mike and Dave are the best. I agree. I have been watching thier stuff since I originally got the crazy idea to buy an 1851.

Blackie especially has tons of good camping and survival stuff. I love Mike and Dave for there channels. They have taught me tons as have the fine members of this forum!

I also love the clothing! High fructose gang doesn't stand a chance with these guys around!

Nice new gun. Except for being a .44, yours is a Schneider & Glassick Reb gun, I got my brass frame from EMF too.

T7 works fine and safely in brass frames. Keep in mind the 15% reduction rule. Some people follow it and others don't. I do and use 15 grains max in my only brass frame - a .36 Griswold. That is the equivalent of 17.25 grains of black. I don't go heavier than that in a .36 brass frame. If 25 grains of black is safe for a brass .44 then 21 grains of T7 will be fine. It's my favorite substitute.

If there's a Sportsmen's Warehouse near you they may have No.10 caps in Remington or CCI. That's where I get mine. Go Remington for best fit on stock Pietta cones. CCI fit a little tighter but also work well.

Ha!!! 2020 has been one of the best years of my life, and I have had a great life! :)

Ha!!! 2020 has been one of the best years of my life, and I have had a great life! :)
BP Arn well now I know why you must be the guy we're buying all our pistols from! Lol.

just kidding brother I'm glad it's doing well for you more power to you and I wish you best of luck in 2021 as well.

Our lovely BP guns will be back....TP is on the shelves again, so the BP stuff will be too.

Bottom line is...We have to be thankful for what we have!

Nice new gun. Except for being a .44, yours is a Schneider & Glassick Reb gun, I got my brass frame from EMF too.

T7 works fine and safely in brass frames. Keep in mind the 15% reduction rule. Some people follow it and others don't. I do and use 15 grains max in my only brass frame - a .36 Griswold. That is the equivalent of 17.25 grains of black. I don't go heavier than that in a .36 brass frame. If 25 grains of black is safe for a brass .44 then 21 grains of T7 will be fine. It's my favorite substitute.

If there's a Sportsmen's Warehouse near you they may have No.10 caps in Remington or CCI. That's where I get mine. Go Remington for best fit on stock Pietta cones. CCI fit a little tighter but also work well.
I never shot my 1851 brassies up to full potential. 15grns. of 3F...... .36cal. or .44cal. As far as caps, #10.75 RWS was what I found was the best for staying on.

Now I have never done business with them but GunBroker (which looks like a type of eBay for guns) does have cap and ball revolvers for sale atm.

Like I said though never did business with them and some of the stuff is in fact used so buyer beware.

Now I have never done business with them but GunBroker (which looks like a type of eBay for guns) does have cap and ball revolvers for sale atm.

Like I said though never did business with them and some of the stuff is in fact used so buyer beware.

I bought a Colt Walker replica on Gonebroker recently, and it is supposed to arrive at my house tomorrow. 🤩

Latest posts

Back