• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning the Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question for all of you Crockett shooters out there. Since the barrel is not a hooked breech design is it meant to stay in place for general cleaning or do you remove the tang screw and take the barrel off to clean. I have been leaving mine in place for most cleanings but do remove it occasionally. Just wondering what you do. Is it meant to remove every time you clean or should you clean with the barrel in place. Thanks for any advice.

I leave mine in place.
I shoot almost every day(I’m retired). Around a dozen balls a day unless I’m huntin. I use Walmart baby wipes for cleaning, no water. And lard for patch lube. Rifle gets wiped down with patches when I m thru. Works for me!

Thanks everyone. I suspected that it was better to leave on and maybe remove it once a year to clean underneath and make sure everything looked good. The instructions that came with the gun were for either hooked breech Hawken types or the pinned barrel long rifle types. Nothing specifically about the Crockett which is neither. Thanks for your replies.

As I wet clean the barrel by nipple hole emersion. (sorta sounds different - nipple hole emersion) Therefore I take the barrel with tang off and clean.

Back