• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 1851 Navy (Original) - missing a part

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intervention

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have an original Colt 1851 Navy, the only thing missing is the wedge screw.
Any suggestions on where I can get one? If it's a new screw how can I make it look more original?
Is it safe to fire one of these, or leave it alone?
Thank you!
K59TLhm.jpg

d4xd7h6.jpg

Very nice pistol. I second the recommendation on Dixie Gun Works in TN. They have replacement parts for original and repro in their catalog.

Use a little distilled white vinegar and soak the screw for a bit. This'll take some or all of the factory bluing off the screw.

Next neutralize the acid by cleaning with water and baking soda. Now you can use a tiny bit of cold blue to bring a little darkening to the screw if needed to blend it with the gun.

Yeah go ahead and shoot it. I wouldn't use it as my every day gun, or load it up super hot though. If you have a real hankering to regularly shoot a Navy Colt, get yourself a repro. 1-2-3 times a year, not a big deal.

Back