• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Last shooting. Group of 5 @ 50 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna have to go burn some powder with my Hawken. I shot it a bunch a few years ago when I got it, found a great load for it, actually killed a nice deer with it last year! But since getting a flintlock and getting lost in a quest for accuracy and shooting the manure out of it for 5he past year and a half, the Hawken kinda got forgotten. I'm at shooting sub-1.75" groups af 5 at 50 yds with the flintlock from a bench; ill be truly happy when I can do that offhand.

But, I'd like to see what group size I could shoot at 50yds with the Hawken rested. Tweak some things, try to tighten it up. I do think shooting flintlocks for accuracy IS more difficult than percussion guns. Not drastically, but harder.
How is it harder? Most flintlocks have really long barrels right? My barrel is only 32 inches and according to every thing I have read and heard the longer barrels are more accurate. But it could be harder if you have a delayed ignition I guess. I don't know because I only have percussion, but I want me a 20 gauge trade gun smoothie, particularly the Pedersoli. I cannot afford custom guns, only production ones.

While the ignition on my gun is QUICK, there's just something about that mini explosion inches from your face that takes some getting used to. And while I said quick, my Hawken is quicker. That gun has relatively modern iron sights whereas the flintlock has old school sights.

How is it harder? Most flintlocks have really long barrels right? My barrel is only 32 inches and according to every thing I have read and heard the longer barrels are more accurate. But it could be harder if you have a delayed ignition I guess. I don't know because I only have percussion, but I want me a 20 gauge trade gun smoothie, particularly the Pedersoli. I cannot afford custom guns, only production ones.

While the ignition on my gun is QUICK, there's just something about that mini explosion inches from your face that takes some getting used to. And while I said quick, my Hawken is quicker. That gun has relatively modern iron sights whereas the flintlock has old school sights.
Oh ok, I understand you now friend.

Back