• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My perfect squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Smith was a talented engraver who had a unusual style using border engraving for outlining most of his figures and some of the figures were entirely border style. The architecture of the rifle is perfect. The execution is master quality. Bill Large would cut you any type of barrel that you desired and this one being 11/16 inch is really skinny. I had him cut quite a few barrels for me years ago, always excellent quality. This rifle is an example of what I consider a contemporary masters art which shows the builders talent. I far prefer to see this type of work rather than "bench copy" of some long past masters work. BTW, did you notice how the toeplate was mortised into the buttplate?
Well said, and I agree about the contemporary masters. I have gathered a little background on the rifle. I met Louis Smith very early in my involvement with black powder shooting, at Friendship, in the booth of Bill Goldsmith. I owned the rifle then, but didn't understand what it represented, so I didn't discuss it with him. A few years ago I made contact with a builder from Johnson City, Tn, Donald Davison, who knew Louis Smith. He said Smith frequently worked with two other men, Buck Fleenor, who specialized in inlays, and Lester Smith, no relation, who was a master engraver. He said he had no doubt the rifle was built by Louis Smith, inlayed by Buck Fleenor and engraved by Lester Smith. All three men have left us, now.

Yes, I noticed the toeplate. I don't understand exactly why it is morticed into the buttplate, but I assume it's because that beaver-tail section of it is the release button for the patchbox lid.

LouisSmithX.jpg

Spence

Wow, nothing I can say here that hasn't been said already but that is a very nice looking rifle, and she can shoot too. I bet it feels mighty good roaming the woods with a rifle that special. Thank you for sharing it with us.

How does one get that wonderful patina on the brass to match the stain?
I've owned the rifle for 44 years, and I bought it second-hand, so it could be 50 years old. The patina is probably just due to its age. I do remember, though, being curious about the color of the brass right from the time I bought it, especially the patchbox. I suppose it's possible the type of brass used was a different alloy, more copper?

Spence

Absolutely gorgeous rifle, I've never seen one with an 11/16" barrel. I've read about the rifles built in that area of Tennessee and apparently they were unique enough style that it was referred to as the "Johnson City School of Gunsmithing". They were generally very decorated and had a lot of inlays and engraving. That must be a joy to shoot and a joy to look at on your wall when you're not shooting it.

Absolutely gorgeous rifle, I've never seen one with an 11/16" barrel. I've read about the rifles built in that area of Tennessee and apparently they were unique enough style that it was referred to as the "Johnson City School of Gunsmithing". They were generally very decorated and had a lot of inlays and engraving. That must be a joy to shoot and a joy to look at on your wall when you're not shooting it.
Yes, I understand that there were several men in the Johnson City area making rifles which were popular. Sort of like the Woodbury School of Herschel House et al, well made, highly functional, but not highly thought of by those more interested in replicas of the old guns, not modern interpretations.

Owning this rifle has been an education in small caliber muzzleloaders. There is a lot of misunderstanding about them, I think. I've never found this one to be a problem with fouling any more than larger calibers, and it's easy to clean. Its trajectory is like a laser out to 50 yards and the accuracy holds out to at least 100 yards. Many would say its 1:56" rate of twist is too slow for its caliber, but it shoots with high accuracy with whatever charge I've ever tried in it, 15 to 30 grains 3F.

I can't imagine a better small game rifle, extremely accurate, flat shooting, easy on the powder and lead and handy in the woods. My happening to buy this particular one when I first got started in BP shooting and knew zip about the guns is proof positive of that old saw, "A blind pig will find an acorn every now and then".
turkey10-14B.JPG

turkey10-14C.JPG

turkey10-14D.JPG

turkey10-14F.JPG

Spence

Beautiful piece of art, and what craftsmanship! Thanks for sharing. Glad to here it’s getting used for hunting and not just punching holes in paper!

Back