• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What size Olde Eynsford

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For almost 40 years I've only used Goex for my muzzleloaders. I'm going to try a few pounds of Olde Eynsford for a 50 caliber flintlock and see if it makes a difference. I always use 3F in my 50 calibers and smaller. For those who have used OE, should I go with the 2F or 3F for the 50 calibers? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

2F Old Eynsford has been more accurate In my rifles. I even use it down to 40 caliber. Here is a 10 shot group at 30 yards with my .40 caliber table rifle.
D28B9E49-C30A-462E-9DBA-640E6663B7A2.jpeg

Thanks for the information. I've ordered a couple pounds of 2F and 3F. We'll see if one or the other does better.

Rifleman1776, No particular reason to try the OE. Just curious and want to experiment with a different, possibly better, powder. It's an indulgence in retirement. That's why I'm getting a few pounds instead of my usual 25 pound shipment.

Jeff

I've used 10 to 15 pounds of Olde Eynsford in my .45, 50, 54 and .58 calibers. I have not had good results with OE 3F, but OE 2F and OE 1 1/2F are wonderful powders . Craig Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, a Goex Master Distributor, told me a couple of years ago that the only caliber he had good results with using OE 3F was a .38-55 cartridge rifle (I think it was). I think it can be worked with to perform well, some shooters do. But my first choice is OE 1/2F, even with .40 caliber. There is little difference between OE 2F and OE 1 1/2F in velocity per grain, and accuracy is similar, but my first choice is OE 1 1/2F, even with .40 caliber. I have three .40 caliber rifles I made, but I don't think I've shot OE in them, I don't shoot them anymore. I did use Swiss 1 1/2F in a .40 once with excellent accuracy, but I have found OE 1 1/2F superior to Swiss 1 1/2F. See my posts about Olde Eynsford in this forum.

I have good luck with 2f & 3f old eynsford in my 50. That is the only powder I have been using for about a year and I will be using it for quite a while cause I am stocked up on it. Never had any issues with it for accuracy in any caliber from .32-.62

I've used 10 to 15 pounds of Olde Eynsford in my .45, 50, 54 and .58 calibers. I have not had good results with OE 3F, but OE 2F and OE 1 1/2F are wonderful powders . Craig Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, a Goex Master Distributor, told me a couple of years ago that the only caliber he had good results with using OE 3F was a .38-55 cartridge rifle (I think it was). I think it can be worked with to perform well, some shooters do. But my first choice is OE 1/2F, even with .40 caliber. There is little difference between OE 2F and OE 1 1/2F in velocity per grain, and accuracy is similar, but my first choice is OE 1 1/2F, even with .40 caliber. I have three .40 caliber rifles I made, but I don't think I've shot OE in them, I don't shoot them anymore. I did use Swiss 1 1/2F in a .40 once with excellent accuracy, but I have found OE 1 1/2F superior to Swiss 1 1/2F. See my posts about Olde Eynsford in this forum.

You've mentioned this enough that one of these days I’m going to have to try their 2F in place of the 3F I have been using and still have a few pounds of. 👍

Obviously it's an entirely different parameter, but it may be interesting to then compare the 2F to the 3F in OE if it's stacked up favorably with Swiss and Goex.

After using up my last Goex a few years ago, I tried Olde Eynsford and Swiss. Both shoot better than Goex in my muzzleloaders and beautifully in my cartridge guns. Swiss is really a premium powder, the best I’ve ever shot. But OE 1.5 shoots very closely to it in all my guns, to the point where I don’t make a distinction. In the future, I would only use Goex if I had to. OE 1.5 or 2Fg is probably the right powder for just about every bp gun over .50 caliber. Its main advantage over Swiss is it costs less.

After using up my last Goex a few years ago, I tried Olde Eynsford and Swiss. Both shoot better than Goex in my muzzleloaders and beautifully in my cartridge guns. Swiss is really a premium powder, the best I’ve ever shot. But OE 1.5 shoots very closely to it in all my guns, to the point where I don’t make a distinction. In the future, I would only use Goex if I had to. OE 1.5 or 2Fg is probably the right powder for just about every bp gun over .50 caliber. Its main advantage over Swiss is it costs less.

And it supports local jobs and helps ensure we have premium powder available here.

O.E is top powder, and I use it a lot.

The correct answer is BOTH. Buy a can of each and test it. See which groups best in your gun, fouls the least, etc. and go from there. You will never known the best one for your purposes unless you test them as every gun is it’s own entity.

Latest posts

Back