• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Advice Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisleyjohn

Pilgrim
Reaction score
5C46DE0D-0613-4DC5-8AE4-16DF800FF6E8.jpeg

Given the speed of renewals here, it may be a while before I can get my hands on one of these. My friend is making me one in .50 calibre.. I know it will peeve the re-inactors, I know it isn’t a replica, I know it probably doesn’t look right to some.

I also know it’s going to be seriously wallet damaging fun!

Where should I start with powder loads please?

Wads/patched ball? (smoothbore)

Thanks in advance

🤗🤗🤗

Start off with about 50 grains and work up from there,Use a .440 ball and .010 patch, use about 4 fingers for fuse, that should give you enough time to step away. I think it looks the part to me. I don't have one that small yet,any way enjoy it and be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start off with about 50 grains and work up from there,Use a .440 ball and .010 patch, use about 4 fingers for fuse, that should give you enough time to step away. I think it looks the part to me. I don't have one that small yet,any way enjoy it and be safe.

Thank you. As I say it will be a while, my local Firearms office is quoting eighty days, it’s the virus!

Don't you mean a .490 ball....being .50cal.?

IMO, a good load for that cannon based on its size would be a .490 diameter ball over 20 grains of powder. I think a 50 grain powder load would be way too much for it because of the recoil.

For a reference, the Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL, shows 4 powder loads for a .50 caliber pistol with a 8" long barrel. The loads range from 25 to 40 grains and the 25 grain powder load of 2Fg powder makes 240 Ft/Lbs of energy. The 40 grain 2Fg powder load makes 376 Ft/Lbs of energy.
More than enough to launch that cannon a good distance when it fires.

HC or not, I think it is way neat. I would use an unpatched .490" ball and about 50 gr. bp. For noise only, no projectile, up to about 90 gr. would be fine. It will still recoil but you won't be doing this in the house.

I'm in the 15-20 grain camp too. I think 50 grains might end up with a search party looking for the cannon! :)

I agree with the 15-20 grains to start with. Due to small size, I expect it to flip right over, unless you stake it down, or put a sandbag over it. I would recommend a half-filled sand bag that you can drape over it, once you have it loaded, and the fuze in place.

Back