• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 or .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn’t want to go after a mulie at one hundred plus yards with a .45. Nor would I want to go after squirrels with a .54.
Local deer are rare above a hundred and twentyfive pounds. I’ve taken more then one less then a hundred.
My .45 shoots well at twenty five yards with a thirty five grain charge and well with a seventy grain charge.
It could well serve me in these woods.

MtnMan makes an excellent point. Where I live the deer are small-ish (as compared to Eastern Whitetails or Mule deer of the SW), so a .45 (or .50) cal is more than sufficient. If you have a large bore rifle (.50 or larger) go with a .32 for squirrels. If you don't and you absolutely have to have a Kibler SMR, get the .45.

Consider getting a Kibler Colonial rifle in .50 cal if you live were the deer are big. You can always buy a second rifle in the future.

I hunt squirrels with an air rifle, they're inexpensive and so is the ammo...yes..I know, blasphemy. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap now.
I like the kibler colonial, but I'm not a fan of brass. I don't mind I guess if that's how they would have been originally. I would see about darkening the brass.

I do think the colonial you can get smoothbore, not 62/20 tho.

Most of the deer I've shot with bp were with a 45, never had any problems.

I wouldn’t want to go after a mulie at one hundred plus yards with a .45. Nor would I want to go after squirrels with a .54.
Local deer are rare above a hundred and twentyfive pounds. I’ve taken more then one less then a hundred.
My .45 shoots well at twenty five yards with a thirty five grain charge and well with a seventy grain charge.
It could well serve me in these woods.
Are deer get good size around my area, I've shot doe into 200lb before, but I've used a 45 before and always worked.

The .45 is my all time favorite caliber and .45s have taken most of the deer I've killed. I've killed a few bucks up around the 200 lb mark and lots of doe from small to very large. The farthest deer kill with a .45 was 75 yards; one shot, dead deer. Actually I've never needed another shot because they've all dropped from the first one. I'd feel confident up to 100 yards or so with a .45; 75 yds is no problem.

The Kibler SMR, according to his site, is lightest in .45. For an "all around" you can't beat a .45. But I've rarely hunted squirrels with a .45; just a very few times. In my stable are a .36 and a .32. They are both featherweights, accurate, reliable and delightful. Most squirrels have fallen to my .32 but the .36 has taken squirrels and raccoon. I've always liked small guns for small game and larger bores for deer. I think you'll be satisfied with a lightweight .32 or .36.

Not to hijack too much, but I've considered adding to my .40 Kibler SMR and was thinking about a .45. Presumably, I could just purchase the barrel, finish it and use it in my present gun if I needed or wanted to? Not sure why I would because I do have two other .45 flint rifles, but hey, you can never have too many, right?

The .45 is my all time favorite caliber and .45s have taken most of the deer I've killed. I've killed a few bucks up around the 200 lb mark and lots of doe from small to very large. The farthest deer kill with a .45 was 75 yards; one shot, dead deer. Actually I've never needed another shot because they've all dropped from the first one. I'd feel confident up to 100 yards or so with a .45; 75 yds is no problem.

The Kibler SMR, according to his site, is lightest in .45. For an "all around" you can't beat a .45. But I've rarely hunted squirrels with a .45; just a very few times. In my stable are a .36 and a .32. They are both featherweights, accurate, reliable and delightful. Most squirrels have fallen to my .32 but the .36 has taken squirrels and raccoon. I've always liked small guns for small game and larger bores for deer. I think you'll be satisfied with a lightweight .32 or .36.
one day I'll get a nice small squirrel gun, I had a traditions 32 when I was a kid. It worked just fine. Any new kits you can recommend.

All the deer I've shot with the 45 either dropped or only went a few yards. I shoot high shoulder, I would guess a hard shot with them quartering away would be good to.

Not to hijack too much, but I've considered adding to my .40 Kibler SMR and was thinking about a .45. Presumably, I could just purchase the barrel, finish it and use it in my present gun if I needed or wanted to? Not sure why I would because I do have two other .45 flint rifles, but hey, you can never have too many, right?
Go for it if you can swing the money. Just say it an investment.

I did the same. I originally bought a .36 from Jim. I then found a .36 I knew I would shoot more so I bought a .45 barrel from Jim and Katherine and wham, in no time she was a .45.

Ok wow that's about half what I was thinking,thanks. What kinda groups can you get.

I haven’t shot the .45 barrel yet but with the .36, I got consistent 1” groups at 35y. That’s a squirrel head at long squirrel range and all I look for. I’m sure the barrel was capable of sub 1” at 50y for a competitive shooter.

I did check on nydec site, it no longer says 20ga minimum for Turkey. So a kibler colonial in 58 smoothbore maybe a way to go. I would think it will shot a oz of no6 shot for squirrel and no5 for Turkey them rb for deer/bear.

I'll have to get over not liking brass tho.

"So what should I get the .36 I really want or the .45 can use for both small game and deer.
Oh just to say, I really like .45 I've owned more mz in 45 then anything else. It just seems big for the smr."

So, what did you decide?

Latest posts

Back