• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wall mounted rifle rack...input needed.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to take a wall in my home office and use it to permanently display my long rifles and smooth bores.

I am going to run two 1x4’s up the wall with the plan to attach a peg or hook of some sort to horizontally support the guns. I know I want them slightly muzzle down to keep oil from pooling in the breech.

I am stuck though at what to use for the peg/hook/holder to support the gun. My plan now is for the holders to be fixed in place, I don’t think they need to be moveable.

Anyone have pictures of what they have done to give me some inspiration?

I don't have a picture to show, but if you're going for something fairly rustic, you could do the following.

2 1/2" long wooden pegs of the same wood as the 1x4 slats on the wall, 1/2" diameter should do it. Drill the mounting holes at a slightly elevated angle, so the ends are pointed slightly up to make sure the rifles lean back slightly toward the wall. I'd have one side off set a little higher and put these through the tigger guard. That will tip the muzzle downward slightly, but make sure it can't slip anywhere.

It won't necessarily be sophisticated or super high-class. But it would do the job and look like it might fit in a cabin or homestead.

I used cut off rail road spikes and threaded them. Bolted them through barn boards . Installed black velvet on the tops to protect the guns .
1573610138783.jpg

Friend of mine did a similar rack using antler. He drilled the into the base and epoxied a brass furniture insert with a 1/4" female thread, then used a bolt and washer through the back to hold the antlers. Sorry - I don't have any pictures of it.

I took 1X4 walnut and routed a nice edge molding on them and then inserted 1/2" walnut dowels at a slight upward angle. Tilting the muzzle down shouldn't be necessary. You don't need that much oil that it will run out on the wall and floor.
0624201357.jpg
IMAG0474.jpg

I have used deer feet which were dried on a fixture to make a 90 degrees bend. Drilled holes it them for a dowel which is glued in. Attached with screws from the back of upright pieces into the dowels.

I've been thinking of building one for vertical display much like what you see in the old westerns....
Maybe with a lower shelf /bookcase/ liquor cabinet...

There's some impressive racks shown above!

I use Barricade so no problem with oil.

In a gunshop I used to work at we used 3" deck screws with rubber automotive tubing over the screws to protect the guns. If you get the right size tubing the screw head can be sunk into the tubing.

You are fortunate, here in California it is illegal not not store guns in a safe. You must state the make and model of safe you woen when you buy a gun. IF out of a safe they must have a trigger lock installed. ....crazy. Yes, I am planning my escape.

I would only display guns is a secured room. Being a target for thieves would worry me.

Those are some very nice gun racks, and gun rooms. I'm with you Scotia on the secured room or safe. The problem I find with safes is that most of my muzzle loaders won't fit unless placed inside and angled. I was contemplating a new gun rack for the muzzle loader, or another safe. As a retired LEO I've seen my share of break-ins and stolen firearms. If you don't have a safe at least store firearms out of view of windows and doors, and at the very minimum secure your home with a reputable alarm system/company. Dampness in your storage area is also a concern and low heat in a safe adds another level of protection against rust.

Heres my two, I made them both. The lower is just a board from Home Depot, stained and poly'ed, with deer hoof holder from the doe i killed with it. Made those too. The upper was from an OLD fireplace mantle board that my contractor father in law salvaged and gave me. The hangers are hand forged by a guy in TN, who sells on ebay

20191005_145353.jpg

I used 3/8 x 5inch lags with friction tape on the joist in the basement,and 1/2 wooden dowls on 2x4s that were screw,ed to the concrete walls,drill 7/16 holes halfway through the 2x4,s ..i got doubles on some dowls.just a idea..the 3/8 lags are easy and after cover,ed with bulldog friction tape are un-noticeable

Back