• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I just finished another pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pistol I started a few years ago but set aside while more pressing projects were finished. A walnut plank was donated to me by a friend who said it came from his old family farm. I have cut three stocks out of that piece and donated one to a friend in Ohio. The barrel was cut for me by Hoppy Hopkins back in the mid-'80s and has been sitting in my barrel bin for some time. It is a 13/16 x 10"x .40 caliber. The lock is a Davis Late English which I adjusted the spring pressures and polished the innards. I made the nose cap and rod end out of buffalo horn. I designed the side plate and cut it out of German silver. The wire inlay is also German silver. Now I need to talk myself into making a box for the thing. It seems like I always have too many projects going on but I like it that way. View attachment 39192View attachment 39193View attachment 39194View attachment 39195View attachment 39196
The book matched planks should make a dandy lid for your box...

I have started on the box now and am using the boards I split out, yes book matched. I really appreciate all the nice comments about my work but some of you are overrating my ability. I am certainly not a master just someone who loves to work wood and metal. We are fortunate that we do have masters on this forum that are very helpful to us who aspire to become more proficient in our attempts at the art of gun building. I thank them very much.

PISTOL BOX FINALLY DONE.
I have built many boxes of various types over the years including handgun displays. This is my first attempt at making a cloth covered partitioned interior. I would like to thank Dave Person for his excellent construction article on box construction. I have never had the opportunity to closely examine any original specimens of this kind. His tutelage answered many of my questions. Thanks Dave.
Now a few pictures.

Fix 6.jpg
Fix 7.jpg
P1090803.JPG
Fix 9.jpg

I did not take photos of the box construction and making the partitions I did take a few pictures of other parts. This is the drawing and cutting out some of the German silver parts. Also, some of the wire inlay of the eagle wings and tools. There is also a picture of the brass plate that I silver soldered to the GS sword blade. The brass hilt is then cut out with a jewelers saw. The beak of the eagle was done in the same manner.
I make my wire inlay tools out of piano wire of various sizes. The small tool imbedded in the wood with the porcelain knob is my most used tool.
The eagle, sword, key escutcheon, and thumb hooks were all cut out of 1/8 inch German silver and brass plate.
The eagles talons holding the sword blade are brass wire.
This has been an interesting project and I still have one thing to do. I need to make the "Manufacturers Brag Sheet" and glue it to the interior of the lid. This will require me to use my brides Photo Shop computer which I dread!
Fix 3.jpg
Fixed 2.jpg
Fix 13.jpg
fix 14.jpg
fix15.jpg

This is a pistol I started a few years ago but set aside while more pressing projects were finished. A walnut plank was donated to me by a friend who said it came from his old family farm. I have cut three stocks out of that piece and donated one to a friend in Ohio. The barrel was cut for me by Hoppy Hopkins back in the mid-'80s and has been sitting in my barrel bin for some time. It is a 13/16 x 10"x .40 caliber. The lock is a Davis Late English which I adjusted the spring pressures and polished the innards. I made the nose cap and rod end out of buffalo horn. I designed the side plate and cut it out of German silver. The wire inlay is also German silver. Now I need to talk myself into making a box for the thing. It seems like I always have too many projects going on but I like it that way. View attachment 39192View attachment 39193View attachment 39194View attachment 39195View attachment 39196
impressive work, great job!!!! :thumb:

PISTOL BOX FINALLY DONE.
I have built many boxes of various types over the years including handgun displays. This is my first attempt at making a cloth covered partitioned interior. I would like to thank Dave Person for his excellent construction article on box construction. I have never had the opportunity to closely examine any original specimens of this kind. His tutelage answered many of my questions. Thanks Dave.
Now a few pictures.

View attachment 50839View attachment 50842View attachment 50843View attachment 50844
OH MY GOD!! ujst when you didn't think it could get any better?? well it just did!! KUDDOS, too you!!

I thank you all for the very kind comments on the box construction.
toot, yes, I built the pistol, if you go to page one of this thread you can see pictures of the pistol. I revived this thread just to continue with the final project.

Back