• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Painting Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I was match shooting a lot, I found that seeing the front sight became more difficult depending on the light. Shooting from under a covered firing line , a standard from sight was fine. If it was a dark cloudy day and I was shooting in the open, I put a dab of white paint on the front sight. If it was very bright hazy day and I was shooting in the open, I put a dab of yellow paint on the front sight. I actually carried two bottles of model car paint and q-tips in my range box for the purpose. However get the flat finish colors not the gloss.

I use a touch of acrylic yellow on my front blade sight for hunting in the darker woods. I put just about a match heads coverage on, the smaller the better. After hunting you can use your fingernail and remove it without damage to the finish on the blade sight.

Color depends on target background color but usually I use a bright red or white. I got cheap bottles of fingernail polish from the $ store. Easy to carry in my shooting box and has it's own brush and dries fast. Also comes in a variety of colors.

Water based acrylic craft paint. It's cheap and cleans off with a little soap and water and a toothbrush. Put it in empty fingernail polish bottles, they have their own brush. You can keep multiple colors in your shooting box or hunting pouch for different conditions.

Testors model paint. flat finish. I carry four colors and adjust as needed. White, orange, green and black. And a jar of thinner, too. Orange is best if added over a thin coat of white. Really pops.

ADK Bigfoot

I use a touch of acrylic yellow on my front blade sight for hunting in the darker woods. I put just about a match heads coverage on, the smaller the better. After hunting you can use your fingernail and remove it without damage to the finish on the blade sight.
I really liked the yellow front sight insert on an unmentionable revolver that I used to have; until the day I took it squirrel hunting one fall when about 95% of the leaves were also yellow. It was like my front sight had fallen off the gun. The squirrels thought it was funny.

Getting older and I am having trouble seeing my front sight. Have any of you painted your front sight and what kind of paint did you use. Also what color.

The Jambuster
They sell felt tip paint pens just for front sights. They come in flo green, white and flo orange. A wider front sight may help. At my age I still prefer black.

For a long time I carried a little bottle of White-Out as part of my shooting gear, just in case I needed to brighten up my front sight. Works okay, but the stuff seems to chip and fall off just from harsh language, let alone actual wear and tear. Today I put on a carefully sized dab of the day-glo orange paint sold for fishing jig heads. It sticks very well to de-greased metal and is quite durable, and gives an effect almost like a poor-man's fibre-optic.

Sorry, not PC or HC, I know...but my eyes now need all the help they can get and I don't intend to give up shooting for the sake of such things.

Last edited:
Since my shooting mostly takes place in shade or in the dark woods I've opted for flat white paint. It shows up well in shadow and doesn't "haze-out" in sunny conditions like many unpainted front sights.

Getting older and I am having trouble seeing my front sight. Have any of you painted your front sight and what kind of paint did you use. Also what color.

The Jambuster
I had the same problem. My solution was to get a pair of glasses just for shooting,. The right (dominant eye) lens is ground so that my front sight is perfectly in focus without having to squint or whatever. It leaves things further out a bit blurry, but if you are sighting correctly, the target will be blurry when you are focussed on the front sight anyhow. They work well for me, and I highly recommend that as a solution for the far-sightedness that comes with aging. Kind of handy at the computer as well.

I saw a video on you tube where I guy used gold flake on the back of the front sight. It looked way cool and classy.

Latest posts

Back