• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me a big part of having a small caliber rifle is having a smaller lighter rifle to go along with it. I don't know if that would be the case or not with the rifle you have in mind but it's worth considering. Like Bradley_TX stated earlier a 32 is really the ultimate small game muzzleloader. Ya sure you can load down a 45 caliber rifle and take a squirrel with it just fine and it would be a more versatile rifle too allowing you to use it for big game also. To me though a true "squirrel" rifle a lighter smaller rifle in general. Kinda like fishing for blue gills with a salt water rod and using 4 pound line. Ya it will work but it's not nearly as much fun as using an ultra light spinning rod for the task. I have fallen in love with the 32 caliber. They are just so fun and economical to shoot. Lead and powder seem to last forever. The 36 would be much of the same but a 36 has a a good bit more horse power than a 32. A little too much for me personally for small game like squirrels. Good luck on your choice.

For me a big part of having a small caliber rifle is having a smaller lighter rifle to go along with it. I don't know if that would be the case or not with the rifle you have in mind but it's worth considering. Like Bradley_TX stated earlier a 32 is really the ultimate small game muzzleloader. Ya sure you can load down a 45 caliber rifle and take a squirrel with it just fine and it would be a more versatile rifle too allowing you to use it for big game also. To me though a true "squirrel" rifle a lighter smaller rifle in general. Kinda like fishing for blue gills with a salt water rod and using 4 pound line. Ya it will work but it's not nearly as much fun as using an ultra light spinning rod for the task. I have fallen in love with the 32 caliber. They are just so fun and economical to shoot. Lead and powder seem to last forever. The 36 would be much of the same but a 36 has a a good bit more horse power than a 32. A little too much for me personally for small game like squirrels. Good luck on your choice.
I'm not 100% but I think there 45 would be lighter then the small calibers. Think there all the same barrel contour.

A .45 is great for deer as long as you don’t push the range to far, and can load light and more then do for small game.
If you are limited to just one gun a smoothie will serve both types of game well.

That's what I wasn't sure of if the 36 would be the same size rifle as the 45 or if it was downsized any for the smaller caliber. If it were me and it was the same size platform for both I might be inclined to go with the 45 for the versatility.

A .45 is great for deer as long as you don’t push the range to far, and can load light and more then do for small game.
If you are limited to just one gun a smoothie will serve both types of game well.
I probably won't ever shoot over 100 yards, I have 2 hunting spots I can sit at were deer case me thru at 50 yards.

I wish kibler made a Fowler/ sb.

That's what I wasn't sure of if the 36 would be the same size rifle as the 45 or if it was downsized any for the smaller caliber. If it were me and it was the same size platform for both I might be inclined to go with the 45 for the versatility.
Ya think it's all the same size, I have not Hurd anyone say it's smaller.

Don't some of the small squirrel rifles even have smaller locks?

I have rifles in .32, .36, .45 and .50. I’ve never owned a .40. To me, the .36 and .40 are like 16 gauge shotguns, in the middle and not really ideal for either small game or big. They might have a few supporters but there’s a reason they’re not very popular.

Get a .45 with a drop in shot gun barrel. Use .45 for deer and shot gun for squirrel cause shooting bullets up in the air not wise.

There's a reason a .45 isn't legal for deer here. I never understood why some use the minimum caliber to hunt with. Everybody doesn't make the perfect shot 100% of the time. Think of the game instead of how much powder you're using.

Thanks fishdfly.

Anyone cone the muzzle, seems nice for a hunting gun. More so for squirrel when you may get a follow up shot.
I coned a .50 I own and it does load smoother and no less accurate. For the smaller calibers, I found I could turn down a larger jag on my drill motor to form the pilot and wrap the emery cloth around the tapered part of the jag. Larger than. 50 and you have to spring for the store bought I guess.

MtnMan makes an excellent point. Where I live the deer are small-ish (as compared to Eastern Whitetails or Mule deer of the SW), so a .45 (or .50) cal is more than sufficient. If you have a large bore rifle (.50 or larger) go with a .32 for squirrels. If you don't and you absolutely have to have a Kibler SMR, get the .45.

Consider getting a Kibler Colonial rifle in .50 cal if you live were the deer are big. You can always buy a second rifle in the future.

I hunt squirrels with an air rifle, they're inexpensive and so is the ammo...yes..I know, blasphemy. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap now.

Back