• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colorado Leftover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36911

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I did good this year. Instead of getting in line at 3am I decided to try to do it all online. I got everything I tried for. I was surprised because I figured being online the computer at the DOW would jam up. Not so at all. It went fast and smooth. I ended up with this.

Bear...Sept 2-30
Muley Buck....Sept 12-20
Cow Elk....Oct 24-Nov 1

I'll do it all with the Isaac Haines .54. 85gr Goex 3F and .530 PRB. It should be fun.

How did you guys do?

Struck out... again. I’ve never gotten a tag on leftover morning. All gone by the time I got to the checkout. Both my daughter and myself. Guess I’ll be checking the list regularly for the next month or so in hopes of snagging one.

Struck out... again. I’ve never gotten a tag on leftover morning. All gone by the time I got to the checkout. Both my daughter and myself. Guess I’ll be checking the list regularly for the next month or so in hopes of snagging one.

I talked to the Salida yesterday and I asked her what would be faster. Being 1st in line at ArkAnglers or trying online. She said being first in line would be slightly faster but being even second in line would be slower than online. So, this morning I went to Arkanglers at 6;30am and two guys were already there. So, I went home and tried online and not expecting much. I was shocked to get all 3 tags. I do have a fast computer and online connection. That might have helped some. I looked at the list at 9:15 and everything was gone. Even one tag that had 21 tags available were all gone.

I took a chance this year in the regular draw and failed. I won't do that again. I know how to get tags without resorting to the leftover. I'll do that next year. I know I got real lucky this year.

Did you end up with anything from the regular draw?

I got a muzzleloader season bear tag in the primary draw. Really hoping to snag a reissue or two or my seasons gonna be real slow... OTC elk will have to do.

Glad you were able to get the tags you were after! That’s gotta feel pretty good.

It does feel good and unexpected. I made a compromise with the elk tag. I would have preferred a bull muzzy tag but there was only one available and I didn't want to try for it and fail and waste that time. So, I settled for the cow 2nd rifle tag. There were 3 of those.

I'm surprised you went for the muzzleloader bear tag. The rifle bear tag is a better deal with a 30 day hunt over the muzzy 9 day hunt.

I'm surprised you went for the muzzleloader bear tag. The rifle bear tag is a better deal with a 30 day hunt over the muzzy 9 day hunt.

Yeah, the unit I bear hunt in takes several points to draw the rifle tag but only a point or two for the muzzleloader season.

Ok.

Well, good luck on getting a leftover. Odds are not good. Those tags go so fast I suspect someone has a software cheat that grabs them fast. Maybe even before they show up online.

Ok.

Well, good luck on getting a leftover. Odds are not good. Those tags go so fast I suspect someone has a software cheat that grabs them fast. Maybe even before they show up online.

Thanks. I’ve been able to get some pretty decent tags in years past but you have to constantly be checking the list since they throw them on randomly. It’s a pain for sure...

I have a ml cow tag, a ML doe tag and a rifle bear. I know the areas for the doe and bear tags, but will be going in cold on the cow tag. Still quibbling on whether to take the short barreled 58 or the GPR 54 on the cow hunt. The 54 is accurate further (100 yards no problem), but the 58 is a lot lighter and a good short range thumper.

Depends on the terrain you're going to hunt. I love hunting dark timber, so i'd take the short .58.

My man, my strong suspicion is that they will be very high up in dark timber to avoid the warm weather and I was thinking the same thing. My save the gpr for deer hunting.

I draw an either sex elk ML tag in the unit I hunt in Colorado 3 ot of 4 years on average. My backup on the years I don't draw or don't connect with an elk is a 5th season leftover cow tag in the deep snow with a suppository gun (known as grocery shopping around here). I draw a muley tag every three to four years. This year I drew either sex elk and a ML pronghorn, but no deer. I found the secret to leftover licenses was to be first in line at a license agent (like the gunshop I worked at before retirement), all information entered on the computer, waiting for the opening time and only having to push the enter key. Back then, agents got go 24 hrs. ahead of the general public on leftovers. Now there is a second draw to try to even the chances out before the leftovers go on sale.
I hunt with long barrel .54 fintlock in the CO dark timber and have not found it to be an issue in tight quarters. The problem for me is the weight, my shorter .54 percussion is 2# lighter and when you're talking alot of vertical elevation changes, by the end of the day the weight matters. However, the flint is more fun for me. A short barrel .58 should be more than adequate for putting a 100 yard shot in the vitals of an elk size target in my opinion.

Sounds like a big hassle, from a country boy from Deep East Texas. But I’ve never hunted anything but squirrel, deer and pigs out the back door. Killed a couple of bears in Arkansas that was raiding Granny’s chicken coop! Sounds like y’all have n fun though 👍

Hmmm, I got a rifle tag and a ML tag with the same unit number, but only the rifle tag covers the nosebleed areas. Instead it looks like I will be stomping ridges and gullies from 5500 to 7500 feet of elevation during ML season. I need to spend some more quality time with the map, but it might make more sense to haul the 54 Plains rifle to give me a little more reach. Need to shoot the 58 one more time to decide.

5500-7500ft for elk in muzzleloader season is kind of low altitude. You'll need to find elk that stay there year-round.

5500-7500ft for elk in muzzleloader season is kind of low altitude. You'll need to find elk that stay there year-round.

I was thinking the same thing. Got skunked on my first choice in the draw and finding what I can. Will poke at the map some more to see if I can find some higher areas. Otherwise it will be year round residents and I will be hunting near water sources.

Watch the weather. Two years ago when it was so hot and dry the areas above timberline were brown and dry. The elk were in the wetter valleys at 7500 to 8000. This year could be de jevu all over again.

Back