• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have noticed that a lot of the other gun forums I am a member of usually have a “post your favorite gun” thread or something similar. Thought it might be a cool idea to get one going. Correct me if this is in the wrong area mods. Here is mine. My only smoothbore at the moment but I certainly love it. TVM .62 with a 42 inch barrel. Throws ball and shot extremely well. Always interested to see what everyone is shooting.

Attachments

• CE6B1315-12AD-4E34-8806-E35BF765AF84.png
    CE6B1315-12AD-4E34-8806-E35BF765AF84.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
Tough call between my two 20 gauge smoothbores,
20191218_175317.jpg
The Centermark Tule Fusil des Chase gets points for lightness and quick handling, as well as it's shorter, and thus more versatile, length of pull.
The smooth rifle gets points for it's rear sight mostly. This makes it quite dependable to put a ball or shot load where needed even if shooting position is not ideal or if clothing changes alter the relationship of eyeball and front sight.

I guess it comes down to the universal quandary still found with arms, WWII G.I.s would rather carry the M1 Carbine, but when time to fight, they wanted the Garand. I would rather carry and handle the FdC, but, when it comes time to put rounds on target, I'll take the smooth rifle.

have a J Garner .62/20 ga. smoothbore rifle. It is rustically finished (not shiney) , looks older than it is. I haven't shot it enough to site for accuracy but at 30 yards it will hit the black of a 50 slow fire pistol target every time with a prb. It works well as a shotgun too. I enjoy the gun but just haven't had much serious range time with it yet. I do like shooting it either with round balls or the shotgun load.

What would you guys suggest for a first smoothbore? I'm looking at about $300 budget. I like accuracy more that authintic true to period pieces. I like percussion over flint ignition. Thanks in advance!

What would you guys suggest for a first smoothbore? I'm looking at about $300 budget. I like accuracy more that authintic true to period pieces. I like percussion over flint ignition. Thanks in advance!
Lenny I wouldn’t be surprised if you find a good deal by posting a wanted ad in the Firearms For Sale section. That’s what I did back in June and ended up with my first muzzleloader, a TVM customer built Fowling piece with a Chambers English Lock and Colerain tapered barrel upgrades. For. 300. US. Bucks! 9 years old and second hand but still a helluva deal.
You’ll find a lot of good ol’ souls on here who just want to encourage the hobby.

I couldn't be more pleased with the community here. Everyone seems easy to talk to and very well informed. People are constantly trying to help one another and giving great advice. I have to wait till my probation period is up on this site before I can post in the sales section, but I will be buying and selling soon. Until then, keep the wind at your back and the sun on your face. Enjoy life!

Like pat i. (post #5) I too bought a NW trade gun years ago (Green River Forge, 20 ga.) that was a tad rough. I addressed those problems and am quite pleased by how accurate it is, in spite of its having no rear sight. In fact, I now prefer it that way and find @ 25 yd., it is impressively accurate with either a patched RB (.598") or almost as accurate with a .618" RB and c card stock OS and OP wads. However, at 50 yd., it really shines with the .618" RB and hand rolled tow wads.

That’s a little lite. A used $300 gun might not be in good shape. Loyalists arms has some trade guns and muskatoons or carbines and with a teak stock is a little heavier then maple or walnut. They are close to original but not fully correct. They run closer to $700. That’s about the cheapest.

Latest posts

Back