• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Hunting Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know, thanks for posting.

Crescent butt plates on small bores (.40 & under) don't hurt no matter how you shoulder them. But if you have one of those in a larger caliber it does have to be seated on the right spot. Think of the shoulder as a ball. Most guns are shouldered in the "hollow" on the inside of the shoulder ball. But crescent butts must be seated just on the outside of the shoulder ball. Some refer to that as "mounting the butt on the arm"; but that can be misleading for the rest of us. It should be thought of as either "inside edge or outside edge" of the shoulder ball. Hope this helps.

Deep crescents are designed for a specific type of erect crossbody offhand shooting popular in the south and in the Ohio area for a few decades before , through the ACW, and up until the turn of the century. If you raise your right upper arm 45 degrees and look at the crook between your pectoral muscle and bicep you will see a hollow. That is where the butt goes. the rifle is fired across and parallel with the chest with your left tricep resting on the upper part of your latissimus dorsi closest to your arm for stability. Here's a video where I try to demonstrate.

Shooting Southern Deep Crescent Rifles

Bob, great tip and video! Would enjoy being introduced to your back wall, I’d like to meet pretty much every item on it.

Deep crescents are designed for a specific type of erect crossbody offhand shooting popular in the south and in the Ohio area for a few decades before , through the ACW, and up until the turn of the century. If you raise your right upper arm 45 degrees and look at the crook between your pectoral muscle and bicep you will see a hollow. That is where the butt goes. the rifle is fired across and parallel with the chest with your left tricep resting on the upper part of your latissimus dorsi closest to your arm for stability. Here's a video where I try to demonstrate.

Shooting Southern Deep Crescent Rifles

Bob, Thank you for that link. My Southern Mountain is the finest rifle I've owned but I'm still adapting to it. I've heard that explained beforet, but that's the clearest and - finally- makes sense. Can't wait to try it.

Bob, Thank you for that link. My Southern Mountain is the finest rifle I've owned but I'm still adapting to it. I've heard that explained beforet, but that's the clearest and - finally- makes sense. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks Scot. Let us know how it goes. I was talking specifically about the deepest crescents and probably should have said ‘approaching parallel’ to your chest as ‘muzzle out from parallel’ is likely how it will mount more naturally.

More like this (without the hips).....

30A39AFA-F39C-4F3D-A172-97045725AA58.jpeg

Than this.....

ABB8ECE0-BF36-4EBD-B6D4-71D140D8CB64.jpeg

Back