• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Is there a current shortage of black powder arms?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like any inflationary period. Manufacturing margins and and margins on inventories go up so long as the cost of manufacturing doesn't follow suit, which it typically does. In times like that companies will typically change their accounting methodology from FIFO (first in first out) to LIFO (last in first out) to lessen their tax liability.

That reminds me. After last shortage I bought a few tins every time I seen them. Only a couple places in town had them. Anyway I should have close to 1k but I moved so I need to find what I did with them. :doh:

This is a brand new Pietta 2020 that EMF just got in a couple weeks ago from Italy:
0974652D-466E-4C1D-9F22-349DCC33443E.jpeg

So far it’s been a darn fine revolver. They’re trickling in, slowly but surely. Italy was devastated by the COVID and their crippled industrial capacity is crawling back from the brink of annihilation.

There used to be some good long muzzle loader seasons in my state Washington state. i think that the in lines have hurt the available seasons. many more animals taken than with more traditional arms. I really wish there was a primitave Muzzle loader season in this state like there are in some areas. also fewer places are carring a lot of the rifles like rifled muskets. cap lock hawken and all are fairly common but the guns i want are hard to find. If they dont sell well they are not gona be made.

I am 76 and shoot MZ guns about every Sunday. Maybe from a few shots to perhaps 20. Twenty to 70 grns of powder depending on caliber. I have about 12 or 14 lbs of powder about a 1000 caps and a couple hundred balls of various calibers. Two flintlocks. I wonder at my age just how much stuff I really need to have on hand. How long am I going to be able to carry on as I am now. I want to have enough but not so much that someone gets the benefit of all my stuff if I have to stop shooting like I do. Age gets one to thinking about stuff we may not like to think about, but we must.
Any of you older guys think on these things too?

Yes I am your age and I am starting to get rid of things I don't use anymore. I am thinking of selling some of my guns🥵. I sold two unmentionable guns once but I was able to get one of them back luckily. I can still shoot so I won't be selling too soon.

Manufacturers are in business to make a profit. If Biden wins, gun and powder companies will make a fortune, for a while. If Trump wins it will be more business as usual: assuming nothing major changes in the Senate.
When, if, BP becomes more profitable, it will be made in greater abundance. Same for Italian reproductions, and larger U.S. companies. High end U.S. makers will stay in demand. My view, anyway. OH, and as I have opined before. Be able to make your own BP! Too many variables to be able to say what it will be like after November. Whew!o_O
Unfortunately we who revere the old guns and ways are a dying breed. Such a small market is barely attractive to the barons and not likely to last unless the wealthier class deems it essential to their fun interests. Eventually it will be a rich man's game, or it will be no game at all.

I am 76 and shoot MZ guns about every Sunday. Maybe from a few shots to perhaps 20. Twenty to 70 grns of powder depending on caliber. I have about 12 or 14 lbs of powder about a 1000 caps and a couple hundred balls of various calibers. Two flintlocks. I wonder at my age just how much stuff I really need to have on hand. How long am I going to be able to carry on as I am now. I want to have enough but not so much that someone gets the benefit of all my stuff if I have to stop shooting like I do. Age gets one to thinking about stuff we may not like to think about, but we must.
Any of you older guys think on these things too?
You bet! I still work on building a little, and nobody in family cares about this stuff. So I think it'll go to the lucky bidder when I'm gone.

To ALL

Some of our Forum's rules:

41: Participants may not post any material regarding illegal activities, illegal firearms, or the manufacture of any material or hardware that is illegal in the United States. This includes, but is not limited to; the manufacture of explosives, instructions on where to find materials for making explosives, altering of weapons to make them illegal, etc.

42: Members may not discuss the making of black powder or post links to web sites that offer instructions for making black powder.

Follow this link to see the rest of them.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/forum-rules.108881/

I was talking with a Vendor this morning and he said that the 3 week vacation in Europe has ended.

Now that has passed, hopefully they will start making guns again. Wonder how long to get them here via ship?

Well, I trust folks with what they tell me to be factual.

Years ago I heard they took all of August off.

Oh well, guess I learned what is factual.

I was talking with a Vendor this morning and he said that the 3 week vacation in Europe has ended.

Now that has passed, hopefully they will start making guns again. Wonder how long to get them here via ship?
Now they will be going on strike! I kid you not...

Well I just applied for my handgun permit here in NJ. I was told with all this virus stuff, it could take 3 months to get my permits. So I’m hoping by then I’ll be able to order my Uberti

Back