• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Kibler Colonial completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Kibler out to the range today. The first load tried which is pretty standard for me with my 50 cal rifles gave these results Off the bench. Very fast ignition made off-hand shots on a 6” steel at 50 yards quite easy, but wouldn’t want to do it all day. It‘s pretty heavy at a bit over 9 pounds. I was getting about 6-8 shots before I’d have to swab with a spit patch. Put 25 shots through it total. I’ll fine tune the sights next trip out. Will fine tune the sights next trip out. Very pleased with this rifle so far.
8B0B3022-598B-4D35-A9D9-E3FD76BB63B9.jpeg

Very interesting comments about the new barrels and the system. I think that Jim had hinted that there may be a Lehigh rifle in his line up soon. I wonder what the release date for that is. I'm torn between another SMR, a colonial or waiting for the Lehigh.
I believe a Fowler is about 12 months away

Thank you for all the kind responses. It’s very hard to put this rifle down since I completed it. With about 150 shots fired since completed, I wanted to see how many shots I could easily load, with accuracy without swabbing. These fours shots were 9-12 at 25 and 50 yards. The barrel is Jim’s 50 cal, 1;70TW, Green Mountain with square cut rifling. Much past 12 shots, loading gets difficult, and a quick spit swab or two is needed.
E6495A89-6191-4854-8C4B-9A67FB821F7F.jpeg

Contemplating a Western hunt for larger game(Elk, moose, bear), I decided to acquire a second barrel in 58 cal for this rifle. Complete with sights and shipping the 1;70 twist GM barrel cost $350 and arrived within 3 days of placing the order. Fit was excellent, requiring only minor filing on the tang for a flush fit with the stock. I finished the barrel, draw filing, and using Jim’s Aging Finish to match the 50 cal barrel. Drilling and opening the holes in the tabs was quite easy, and I was able to use the same pins used with my 50 cal barrel for a solid fit. Overall, the whole process took about a half a day, with the only difference in appearance being the larger diameter bore. While I didn’t expect the approximate 1 pound difference in weight between the two barrels to be much of factor, I must say the lighter 58 cal barrel balances perfectly, is noticeably handier, and easier for off-hand shooting for my medium build(and 70 year old muscles). Shooting the rifle was also a pleasant surprise. Using a .570 LRB, .015” OY patch lubed with Mink Oil on top of 80gr of 3F, accuracy, trajectory to 100 yards, and felt recoil showed little, if any difference to the 50 cal. barrel. Like the 50cal, I can get about 6-12 accurate shots without swabbing. Switching barrels takes all of about 5-10 minutes. I will likely use this barrel for all my hunting, and the 50 cal. for targets and practice. Hats off to Jim Kibler.......I love this rifle!
Shown: 6 o’clock hold off the bench.
596EA8EE-E29B-40D2-8521-C68DF4300A62.jpeg

Latest posts

Back