• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help on building a wall gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to build a wall gun..the first thing where can I buy a big barrel?And the next thing would it better a flintlock or a cap lock?The reason I contacted Henry Krank of the UK twice and no reply..So can someone help me get started.

I would like to build a wall gun..the first thing where can I buy a big barrel?And the next thing would it better a flintlock or a cap lock?The reason I contacted Henry Krank of the UK twice and no reply..So can someone help me get started.
I don’t think Kranks have much in the way of parts for wall guns. The Rifle Shop, probably has what you need, but it may take some time to get from them. The only other possibility, is to find someone to make you a barrel. I prefer flint personality, but then, I prefer flint period.

All
If you live on the UK side of the pond try some engineering firm in the midlands they may be able to help
Feltwad

Enclosed are images of 4 bore rifled wall ,swivel, or rampart gun .the one in the image is off a ship and used for blasting out the enemy rigging and the use of grape shot .
Feltwad
100_1706.JPG
100_1712.JPG
100_0568.JPG

The 4 bore bullet against the 577 enfield

If it is too use a 48 inch barrel will be long enough in 4 bore to make it look right you need a good size flintlock nothing less than 7 inches .Have enclose a image of a 12 inch punt gun lock and 2 bore 9 inch bank gun lock but both of these have long barrels has I said it depends on the length of the barrel
Feltwad
P1010003.JPG

I once bought a 5' piece of seamless DOM tubing about 1 1/2 inches in diameter with a nominal 1" bore which a machinist friend turned with a fine taper and breeched with a solid turned and threaded breech. The cost of the pipe was not much, the machining (and other work) I paid for with a stainless Ruger .44 suppository revolver. I later cut the barrel down to a manageable size for a medieval hand cannon. I fired the cannon from the hip with as I recall 440 grains of powder (probably 2f) and 2 0z shot. It fired fine and the recoil was tolerable, but spinning in delivery. This gun was proofed with approx. 700 grains of 2f and a large man's hand full of buckshot. It ate it up safely. I think you could build such a barrel with a 4 bore (just over 1 inch) for under 400 dollars depending on the price of pipe and machining. Good luck in your endeavor. I would try to make a 4' barrel in 4 bore, smooth. You may want a rifled barrel like George Washington owned. They are impressive. George.

Buying four foot of Sandvick' hollow bar'1'' or so bore. I availed of a friends big lathe then turned it proportionate to a large early duck gun even to the raised hump over the breech end went for oct to round with swamped to a flare at muzzle end .Took for ever !! but got there .Yes a big lock proportionate is wanted at least a big musket lock and bigger yet if its a purpose made gun.

Sealing guns & waterfowl guns often make do . A pocket pistol lock will ignite powder but fixing it and handling it in freezing rough conditions would rule it out .
One of the plusses of a flint lock sealing gun is you can cock & prime it with mitts on . While handling copper caps in 20 below gets impossible .( Once shot a 451 Percussion in 46 below , fired just 8 shots, by then I couldn't handle caps nor even properly grasp the stock , So scurried back to a friends heated car .Still got the target its nailed on my workshop door .Hence I saw the practical need for flintlocks in such weather ) This didn't happen in NZ ( We don't allow 46 below ! ) But near a town site now called Mackenzie in BC Canada.
Regards if apologies for long winded ness. Rudyard

Is that really rifled, or just muzzle wear?
Yes it has a 8 grove rifling with one full twist and in crisp condition .For a gun of that type and the salty conditions it was used in the rifling is good with little muzzle ware .
Feltwad

Robin
Is that the one you shot in the short film several years ago , A really nice gun for someone
Feltwad

Big Al 1: It appears Ackerman Arms has a barrel, lock (kit), stock and fittings in their current inventory. You might want to check it out. No idea on pricing.

Rick

Go flint, you will thank yourself for years to come. TRS has locks, 2 options but you will need to have someone build it. I have a 7 bore .75 cal wall gun Ive started collecting pieces for. The lock is about 60% done and dwarfs a regular musket lock the flints are 1.25" If I remember right.

Do you have a picture of your wall gun?Also a picture of your lock?And is the lock custom made?

How much larger is a wall gun then your? my biggest problem is the barrel length..I would to build it myself..Maybe with a little help I can build it myself..I do know when I order my barrel order it the lug...

Latest posts

Back