• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Diameter of .54 Maxi Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bottom bands are right at bore size so as to be easy to start in the muzzle. The top band i believe is something like .546 to catch the rifling and to seal bullet to barrel to prevent or lessen blow-by.

Would these work in an antique barrel with deep grooves? Lands are .508-10 and grooves are .549-50? The antique hand wrought barrel was a muzzleloader attached to rolling block action. Very common in Scandinavian countries. I need a suitable projectile that I can seat into a shortened 28 gauge case. I know this is a bit off topic, Moderator, but think it just squeaks in as "related." Remove if inappropriate.

Would these work in an antique barrel with deep grooves? Lands are .508-10 and grooves are .549-50? The antique hand wrought barrel was a muzzleloader attached to rolling block action. Very common in Scandinavian countries. I need a suitable projectile that I can seat into a shortened 28 gauge case. I know this is a bit off topic, Moderator, but think it just squeaks in as "related." Remove if inappropriate.

You might try paper-patching slightly undersize rifle bullets.

Doesn’t really matter too much if they have grooves or not. But if it bothers you buy larger bullets and run them through a sizing die.

Your barrel is made for a round ball. Why not use one? You can kill anything in the US with the .54.

Back