• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoke at Sunrise (Pietta London Navy Update)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gang! :)

Got my new 2020 Pietta London Navy out to the desert again early this morning before the ruthless heat of the day kicked in:
B75C4ABD-D7DC-4D0A-9413-4D7D1C440F76.jpeg

This is my 4th outing with this pistol and it shot great again! I fired 54 rounds through the gun, bringing my total of shots fired through this Navy up to approx. 160. I again had 0 issues. No cap jams, light cap strikes, or any other issue. This gun just keeps shooting! Today I worked on a little load development. I modified my charged spout on my flask to throw 22 grains of 3Fg, I was using O.E. today and .380” cast balls which cut a handsome ring of lead. This put the balls nearer to the top of the chamber mouths. I also added olive’s oil to my factory Ox-Yoke wonder wads.

A quick note about those wads, I personally am not at all impressed with the factory wads. They are pretty thin and flimsy, and not well lubed. I have had poor results with them and fouling accumulates very quickly. Adding olive oil today helped dramatically, and I certainly noticed an easier time during clean up. I plan to make my own wads, as I’ve done years ago. I use hard 1/8” pure cotton felt generously lubed with a lamb’s tallow and a bee’s wax. I had great results years ago with this combo.

The gun is shooting pretty well. At 12 yards, it put these dozen shots into a 2” group with one flyer:
B910E8A1-8D1F-4AE8-BB6F-599B7A03886F.jpeg

I was shooting off the back of my car and due to the field of fire at my impromptu desert shooting area, the sun glare wasn’t helping much. Looks like eventually once I do more load development I’ll need to file my rear sight to correct for windage. Elevation is about right though I might carefully file a few strokes off the front cone to bring point of impact up an inch or so.

The Pietta London Navy continues to impress. I’ll have to say this is the best cap and ball revolver I’ve yet purchased, and as much as I enjoy my .44 Remington, I think this little Navy Colt’s just knocked it down to 2nd place. The balance and amazing beauty are really great.

Also, a .36 round ball is NOT to be underestimated. Noted author Elmer Keith described in his classic book “Sixguns” his interviews with actual Confederate veterans of the American Civil War. They claimed they had a decided preference for the round ball vs the conical bullet paper cartridges in their .36 revolvers. Claiming “it took all the fight out of them”, these men who actually fought with these guns were entirely satisfied with its effectiveness. Add to that long time users and famous gunfighters just as “Wild Bill” Hickok, who continued to use their percussion 1851 .36 Navy revolvers until well into the metallic cartridge era, and it’s no wonder why the gun had such an amazing reputation. If one were restricted to black powder weapons only, as many countries are, you would NOT be unarmed with a .36 Navy!

Take care gang and stay tuned!

-Smokey

Last edited:
My Remington is also playing second fiddle to my old ASM 1851. It’s just so....coooool. Classic. I guess if I were gonna be in an 18th century gunfight I’d want the Remmy, but if I was gonna be in a movie I’d want the Colt for sure. 😎

here is a way to make your gun wads. Not being in sheep country my tallow is rendered from beef kidney fat mixed with bees wax, but experiment because we are all re-inventing a very old wheel.
copy and paste this

for felt Duro-Felt Products for the proper weight felt
respectfully submitted
Bunk

here is a way to make your gun wads. Not being in sheep country my tallow is rendered from beef kidney fat mixed with bees wax, but experiment because we are all re-inventing a very old wheel.
copy and paste this

for felt Duro-Felt Products for the proper weight felt
respectfully submitted
Bunk

Yes that is how I make mine, just as Duelist shows in his video.

Back in the late 70's I owned a replica of an 1851 Colt Navy revolver, don't remember the manufacture name or country. Had a lot of fun with it until the trigger spring broke. Accuracy was over the top; line up the barley corn front site with the V-notch in the hammer, put it on target and Bingo! Wish I had it today.

Got my new 2020 Pietta London Navy out to the desert again early this morning before the ruthless heat of the day kicked in:
View attachment 38656
This is my 4th outing with this pistol and it shot great again! I fired 54 rounds through the gun, bringing my total of shots fired through this Navy up to approx. 160. I again had 0 issues. No cap jams, light cap strikes, or any other issue. This gun just keeps shooting! Today I worked on a little load development. I modified my charged spout on my flask to throw 22 grains of 3Fg, I was using O.E. today and .380” cast balls which cut a handsome ring of lead. This put the balls nearer to the top of the chamber mouths. I also added olive’s oil to my factory Ox-Yoke wonder wads.

A quick note about those wads, I personally am not at all impressed with the factory wads. They are pretty thin and flimsy, and not well lubed. I have had poor results with them and fouling accumulates very quickly. Adding olive oil today helped dramatically, and I certainly noticed an easier time during clean up. I plan to make my own wads, as I’ve done years ago. I use hard 1/8” pure cotton felt generously lubed with a lamb’s tallow and a bee’s wax. I had great results years ago with this combo.

The gun is shooting pretty well. At 12 yards, it put these dozen shots into a 2” group with one flyer:
View attachment 38657
I was shooting off the back of my car and due to the field of fire at my impromptu desert shooting area, the sun glare wasn’t helping much. Looks like eventually once I do more load development I’ll need to file my rear sight to correct for windage. Elevation is about right though I might carefully file a few strokes off the front cone to bring point of impact up an inch or so.

The Pietta London Navy continues to impress. I’ll have to say this is the best cap and ball revolver I’ve yet purchased, and as much as I enjoy my .44 Remington, I think this little Navy Colt’s just knocked it down to 2nd place. The balance and amazing beauty are really great.

Also, a .36 round ball is NOT to be underestimated. Noted author Elmer Keith described in his classic book “Sixguns” his interviews with actual Confederate veterans of the American Civil War. They claimed they had a decided preference for the round ball vs the conical bullet paper cartridges in their .36 revolvers. Claiming “it took all the fight out of them”, these men who actually fought with these guns were entirely satisfied with its effectiveness. Add to that long time users and famous gunfighters just as “Wild Bill” Hickok, who continued to use their percussion 1851 .36 Navy revolvers until well into the metallic cartridge era, and it’s no wonder why the gun had such an amazing reputation. If one were restricted to black powder weapons only, as many countries are, you would NOT be unarmed with a .36 Navy!

-Smokey

Nice shooting dude! That's how my old replica 1851 Colt Navy shot.......I miss it!

View attachment 38656

View attachment 38657

-Smokey

One explanation as to why the conical loads may have been less effective is that government issued pistol ammo was supplied by civilian contractors in six packs of paper or foil cartridges, and many of these contractors were notorious for shorting the government on the amount of powder In each cartridge. Graft and corruption on the part of suppliers was a real problem in all the armies on both sides, whether it was shoes, clothing, or food.
It seems that there may have been much less of that sort of thing with the arms themselves as produced in the US.

As many here can attest, the quality control on the rifled muskets In particular was quite good (some would say extraordinary) on the models produced for Union contracts and the ones manufactured at the national armoury in Springfield, MA.

View attachment 38656

View attachment 38657

-Smokey

It is a nice gun, and I would be comfortable with it in a self-defense situation.

Me too. Most self defense encounters are over in less than 3 shots, and most of the time just the presentation of the gun is enough to stop most people. At close range, the Navy has some power to it! I have unmentionables for the task but if this Navy was all I had handy, I wouldn’t feel unarmed by any means.

Back