• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Kibler Colonial completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished this Kibler 50 cal Of the three different maple grades available(plain, fancy., extra fancy), I ordered the fancy. Finishing with both tannic acid and Aqua Fortis, the result revealed a wide array of graining producing varied color tones. All components are top quality, with design, very appealing being partial to the not overly adorned early colonial rifles. I will say that it’s longer and heavier then my other flintlocks. I’m anxious to see how it handles and shoots.
33A0D428-D0D6-4BBE-B7A6-86BF23DF1E9F.jpeg3C69F78A-9E46-48BE-82BD-48BA16E20B28.jpegC08D2717-99E9-40AB-81EB-793CC810391B.jpeg

That's a nice piece of wood there, very nice work on that Kibler Colonial, I wish I had the tools, experience, skill set and ability to build a rifle like that. Congratulations on a job well done.

Just finished this Kibler 50 cal Of the three different maple grades available(plain, fancy., extra fancy), I ordered the fancy. Finishing with both tannic acid and Aqua Fortis, the result revealed a wide array of graining producing varied color tones. All components are top quality, with design, very appealing being partial to the not overly adorned early colonial rifles. I will say that it’s longer and heavier then my other flintlocks. I’m anxious to see how it handles and shoots.
View attachment 38566View attachment 38567View attachment 38568
Beautiful. Just starting on mine. Wonderful kit, and fantastic people to deal with. None better! Jim and Katherine jump through a lot of hoops to please a customer.

View attachment 38566View attachment 38567View attachment 38568
I would imagine that style rifle with only a little .40 caliber hole in the barrel would be a bit heavy. But I bet she shoots true. And, she is beautiful.

That's a nice piece of wood there, very nice work on that Kibler Colonial, I wish I had the tools, experience, skill set and ability to build a rifle like that. Congratulations on a job well done.

I said the same thing and took the plunge. Youd be surprised, it's not as difficult as you might think. While I haven't built a Kibler, from what I understand, they have a giod deal of the work already done for the builder.

I hear you but I'm not so sure of my lacking abilities! I think the part that intimidates me most is the woodworking. Carving, inletting, re-shaping, staining, polishing, re-staining, re-polishing, re-staining, polishing.. I'm sure I've missed something!
I admire the work of fine rifle makers, and apprentice rifle makers for that matter very much.
I've played guitar for more than 40yrs and have collected dozens of fine Martin and Gibson guitars along the way. I see the required woodworking skills not too dissimilar from making fine acoustic guitars. They're just musical instruments certainly, but they're also craft. I see many muzzleloader rifles in that same light. Sure they're just firearms, guns. But they're also craftwork, representing a range of different skills.
In the hands of the talented rifle making is art.

I said the same thing and took the plunge. Youd be surprised, it's not as difficult as you might think. While I haven't built a Kibler, from what I understand, they have a giod deal of the work already done for the builder.

I hear you but I'm not so sure of my lacking abilities! I think the part that intimidates me most is the woodworking. Carving, inletting, re-shaping, staining, polishing, re-staining, re-polishing, re-staining, polishing.. I'm sure I've missed something!
I admire the work of fine rifle makers, and apprentice rifle makers for that matter very much.
I've played guitar for more than 40yrs and have collected dozens of fine Martin and Gibson guitars along the way. I see the required woodworking skills not too dissimilar from making fine acoustic guitars. They're just musical instruments certainly, but they're also craft. I see many muzzleloader rifles in that same light. Sure they're just firearms, guns. But they're also craftwork, representing a range of different skills.
In the hands of the talented rifle making is art.
Hi Jonathan. If you go to youtube and watch Jim's build videos for the Colonial Kit, I think you'll find you will have the necessary skills and tools already. And now that he's using Green Mountain blanks and machining them himself, even the underlugs and a lot of the other work are already done for you.

Wasn't aware that he started using GM blanks. I need to visit the website and see what he is doing to the blanks.

Mine came with the GM barrel, marked on the bottom flat in front of the breech along with Kibler, GM, 50cal, 1;70TW. It’s nicely done with the barrel lugs machined right into the barrel.

Script from Jim’s Q&A Video series explaining the change to GM barrels:

“So the biggest news we have is that we're going to be doing a lot of barrel work ourselves. So things are changing with regard to the barrels and our kits. So we're working with Green Mountain, they're going to produce our barrel blanks for us. So they'll produce the bore, they'll ream it and rifle it in most calibers, and then we'll do the balance of the work. We'll rifle everything 40 caliber and below, but everything 40 and above 45 and above, they will be rifling. So we won't be using Rice barrels anymore. You know, we've had a great relationship with Jason at Rice but they're just a number of reasons why it made sense for us to go this particular route. You know, one of them being that we always feel good doing as much stuff as we can in house.

It just sort of fits the nature of how we like to do business. So that's certainly a factor. It allows us to try some different ways of making things, ways of manufacturing things, which which works well for us. Green Mountain has a lot of production capability, which is very good for us as well. And you know, by bringing things in house like this, you know, even with the, the cost of machinery, we're able to save some pretty significant money in the process. Now I would like to note that for anyone that's not familiar with Green Mountain barrels, we don't feel that this is any kind of a sacrifice in terms of quality. They're known for -hey have a great reputation as far as accuracy and bore quality bore finish and so on. So I'll go ahead and show you a little bit about how the process works. So here's an example of a barrel blank that they'll be providing to us. So again, it's been bored, reamed, honed and then rifled, and we have some kind of unique ways of making these barrels ourselves or during the, the part that we do.

First thing we do is we bore the barrel and thread it for a breech plug. So that's done on the lathe over there that you saw Marshall working at, Make a make breech plugs, as you can see breach plug blanks, It's actually, what's, he he's running right now. These will then of course, thread into the end of the barrel, plug it up. From there we machine the whole barrel, including the breech plug in basically just two setups. So we, we have what we think is a real nice way of machining these barrels. And we're very happy how they've been turning out so far. So here's a sort of a little sampling of some of the barrels we've made. Hopefully the camera, will be able to focus and pick up on the details. The finish you see is pretty much the finish that comes right off the machine. We're real pleased about that. Some neat features of this barrel. One being the underlugs are integral to the barrel. So this may seem kind of crazy or odd. And from a historical perspective, it is kind of, kind of odd, but we have enough material to machine them right on the barrel. So we chose to do it. It actually simplifies our process a little bit in order to not have to worry about making under lugs, dovetailing them, getting them to fit right, so forth and so on. So that'll be a unique feature of these barrels. And one thing that's cool about it is you have to look very close to be able to tell that they haven't been dovetailed and fit in the barrel. So that's a real, kind of a unique thing. The barrels will come with the touchhole installed milled flat. So that's all done during the machining operation

Since we machine the breech plugs right on the barrel. They'll be perfectly aligned. There won't be any kind of misorientation with rotation or anything. One thing that's real neat about these barrels. That's a good one to look at, get the dust off, Not only the surface finish, but also the shape of the barrel. Traditionally in the modern era, swamped barrels have been made by basically connecting a series of straight lines and then blending those straight lines with some kind of a radius.

This is a basically a continuous curve. So you won't see any of those kind of kinks that you sometimes see on, modern made barrels. So we're real pleased with that is not something I never really considered a great deal in the past until we making these, and we just noticed how, how nice of a shape they had. So I think it's sort of one of those examples where you get used to something, but when something changes, you kind of appreciate how, how it has changed. These are slightly different shape barrels than the Rice barrels we've used in the past, so they won't be interchangeable. We just want to let you know about that. See the bore here, maybe. It's happens to be 50 caliber that we're working on right now.

That's the, the exciting news regarding our barrels. If you have any questions, you know, please please ask, you know, we're happy to answer them. As far as there will be a transition time when we transition from Rice barrels to the combination of green mountain and Kibler barrels, Probably going to take two to three months. So some kits may have rice barrels. Some kits may have green mountain barrels with, but we consider them equivalent in every way. And they'll both, you'll both be, you'll be happy with either. That's for sure. We'll move on here to one more little tidbit. Here's just a rifle I'd like to show. This is one of our colonial rifle kits that I assembled. And then my friend Ian, did the carving and finishing on it. So just kind of something fun to, to show It's stocked in Walnut. Pretty nice piece of Walnut

Very interesting comments about the new barrels and the system. I think that Jim had hinted that there may be a Lehigh rifle in his line up soon. I wonder what the release date for that is. I'm torn between another SMR, a colonial or waiting for the Lehigh.

Back