• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which of these two pages of items is a good bullet lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was strictly going to buy it from there it would be the SPG tin of patch lube or the Mink Tallow. Everything else there is for smokeless or cartridge guns.

You can always make your own. Many recipes out there, beeswax and olive oil being one of the most preferred combos. When it is cold out I just use Crisco out of one of their little tins.

So this Mink Tallow, do you get that on your finger and just put it into the bullet grooves?

I want to get on to shooting.....so not really into making my own lube right now. Should I just use TC bore butter? I have a tube of that.

I’ve only used the mink oil tallow for roundball patches. The SPG is supposed to be good for conicals, although I never used it. Borebutter has given me problems in cold weather and hot weather. Rock hard or runny, but some seem to like it.

For conicals I would use a mix of beeswax (your local HobbyLobby will have it) and olive oil mixed to a consistency that works in the current season. I like to add lanolin to the mix, but many don’t. As long as you have a pan (double boiler is best) and a heat source you are on your way.

Bees wax, Crisco and olive oil mixture you want a stiff set up when cool, take a old cookie sheet set the bullets on the sheet pour the liquid lube in the cookie sheet surrounding the bullets up to the last grease grove allow the lube to solidify pick the bullets out of the lube, if you want a bit of ALOX in the mixture. Works just fine in the sharps rifle of mine. If the bullets come with a blue lube in the grooves remove it with a hair dryer and rag this lube is formulated for the unmentionable big bore cartridge breech loaders. It does not work well with black powder very hard fowling. If I wanted to shoot right now a dab of Crisco or un-salted lard on your finger and worked into the grease grooves on the bullet.

Few years ago i bought a big bunch of Bore Butter at a garage sale. 1/3 Bore Butter and 2/3 beeswax makes a great conical lube. Stand the conicals on their bases in a pan and pour in the melted lube. Best lube i ever used.

Few years ago i bought a big bunch of Bore Butter at a garage sale. 1/3 Bore Butter and 2/3 beeswax makes a great conical lube. Stand the conicals on their bases in a pan and pour in the melted lube. Best lube i ever used.
That’s interesting. Could see that working. Have found beeswax with ‘something’ to soften it up work great.

Bees wax, Crisco and olive oil mixture you want a stiff set up when cool, take a old cookie sheet set the bullets on the sheet pour the liquid lube in the cookie sheet surrounding the bullets up to the last grease grove allow the lube to solidify pick the bullets out of the lube,

What is the formula for that?

On stovetop I use the double boiler method to avoid overheating the mixture. Now I normally use an electric pot with a thermostat set way below the flash point.

My lube is 50/50 beeswax Crisco by weight and two tablespoons of olive oil. In colder weather, I add more olive oil. I put the beeswax and Crisco in a mason jar and microwave it thirty seconds at a time until melted then stir in the olive oil.

I like beeswax, lamb tallow, and olive oil in a 45-45-10 mixture by weight. More oil in winter and less in summer. Doesnt turn rancid and actually smells kinda nice.
DL

Been away for a bit the ratio I use is 45-45-10 if shooting in very warm weather up the bees wax you just have to figure the ratios depending on the temp. out side never really measured the ALOX just eye balled it . As to melting the mixture 2 pots one smaller than the other (these can be bought at any store just need cheap ones) do not use your wifes good cooking pots believe me. Place water in the larger pot and your mixings in the other I do mine on the side burner to the B.B.Q grill OUTSIDE place the smaller pot in the larger one with the water and bring up the heat until everything melts and your ready to lube the bullets in the manner described. DO NOT leave the mixture alone during the melting process in case it would catch on fire and I DO NOT due this in the house , keep the pots for the next time.

Back