• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken Silver Elite went for $1276!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Davis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Have I been away from T/C products too long? $1276 for a stainless Hawken?[url] http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88474017[/url]

Two guys got in a bidding war, but it was over $600 before the last two guys got into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's crazy...with shipping it's over $1300.00...the winner has no rating so he's either never won an auction there before or at least never had feedback left for him.

It'll be interesting to see if he wakes up in the cold light of dawn and says, my god what have I done, and backs out.

Aways a Donkey somewhere that will over pay.. :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms::

MRP: was $550.00
100 % it worth $475.00

short_start said:
Wish they still made those things. They were nice!
I've got a few Cougars...same rifle with a blued barrel...gorgeous presentation grade wood.

Yeah, I remember the Cougars. Sweet. You're a lucky guy, roundball.

It was neat, back then, how T/C would introduce a special version of the Hawken every couple years. You just knew they'd be collector's items, yet they didn't cost much more than the regular model. It's a shame they stopped doing it.

I remember looking at the T/C catalog when the Silver Elite came out. Said to myself, "Man, if I shot black, I'd shoot that.". But I was into Contenders back then. Never shot black powder 'til years later.

I have a Lyman I cobbled up that looks a lot like that only a flinter that I would let go for half of that. :thumbsup:

2007_1220Flinter0003.jpg

short_start said:
Yeah, I remember the Cougars. Sweet. You're a lucky guy, roundball.

It was neat, back then, how T/C would introduce a special version of the Hawken every couple years. You just knew they'd be collector's items, yet they didn't cost much more than the regular model. It's a shame they stopped doing it.

I remember looking at the T/C catalog when the Silver Elite came out. Said to myself, "Man, if I shot black, I'd shoot that.". But I was into Contenders back then. Never shot black powder 'til years later.
TC has made a special run of their Hawken model every 5 years...the first run of 5000 Cougars came out in '88, they were so popular they made another run of 5000 in '92....but always .45s and 50s...disappointed they never made a run with the larger size stock for the .54/.58cals...I picked up all of mine over the years in mint condition for an average of about $250 each.

I bought a stainless lock that normally goes on the Firestorm and converted one Cougar to a Flintlock with a .45cal RB barrel on it...a really sweet Flintlock

People do all kinds of dum stuff in auctions.. I was just looking for something on ebay, and there where two auctions that had bid up to 50% more total price than the buy-it-now on a couple of the exact same items further down the page. Never understand it. Seen it in regular estate auctions too, Marlin 30-30, no nothing special, going for $200+ more than you can buy them any day anywhere etc..

Funny thing I was going thru a box of old Muzz Blast and they had a test on that one and they didn't care for the way it shot worth a dang , much rather haveing a reg Hawken. If only they had known what some :rotf: :youcrazy: would pay for it now.... :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

maypo59 said:
Seen it in regular estate auctions too, Marlin 30-30, no nothing special, going for $200+ more than you can buy them any day anywhere etc.
Just as a related side comment, not knowing the specifics of it's age, all Marlin .30-30s are not created equal...those made in the 50s/60s/70s usually had very high quality wood with good figure and grain, did not have the crossbolt safety, etc...attractive features that might have driven the prices up.

Thanks WindWalker.

Roundball,

How about posting a few pics of the Cougar. I have never seen one.

short_start said:
Wish they still made those things. They were nice!

And herein lies a strong possible reason for the ending price.

There is no doubt that newbies at auctions often overbid from a lack of experience by getting "caught up" in the auction, or from their lack of research on the item (also called laziness). But that said, discontinued items, especially hard to find, popular, small run desireable models can easily get on the high side when two or more people want it on an auction (called supply & demand). Some folks just don't care what it costs as long as they get one.

High prices are very common in many of the desireable discontinued models in short supply of all types of firearms, and there are as many reasons why as the people buying them.

Over the years I've paid the toll on some rare to rarest examples that I had an interest in for one reason or another. But they have all gone up in value - way up from what I paid for them. So besides pride of ownership (also known as bragging rights), they were a very good investment.

Brian Rice said:
Thanks WindWalker.

Roundball,

How about posting a few pics of the Cougar. I have never seen one.
This photo has very few pixels...sort of like the young buck has very few points. :grin:

Converted this Cougar from cap to flint by adding a stainless Flint lock assembly, also added a stainless ramrod, and I replaced the factory blued Hawken/Cougar barrel with a TC .45cal 1:66" RB barrel...seriously, the photo doesn't do the wood justice...if I remember I'll take a few closeups of the wood tonight.
111904--1.jpg

That sure is a pretty thing. Thanks for the picture. I look forward to the better pic in the future. :thumbsup:

Some pretty wood on three TC Hawken 'Cougar' presentation grade stocks of mine...

010807CougarsRightSide.jpg

010807CougarsLeftSide.jpg

roundball said:
maypo59 said:
Seen it in regular estate auctions too, Marlin 30-30, no nothing special, going for $200+ more than you can buy them any day anywhere etc.
Just as a related side comment, not knowing the specifics of it's age, all Marlin .30-30s are not created equal...those made in the 50s/60s/70s usually had very high quality wood with good figure and grain, did not have the crossbolt safety, etc...attractive features that might have driven the prices up.
yep, know how the prices can be on Marlins, trust me this one wasn't one that warented the sale price and buyers premium in any way shape or form.

oh, and on the TC's there, very nice, very nice indeed.

Gee wiz! Wonder what my factory laminated Hawken would go for? Much rarer than the Cougars or Silver Elites!
Good thing I'm not THAT curious. " Autumn" isn't going anywhere. She looks, and shoots, so fine! Best shooting sidelock I've ever had. Now that I found an aperture sight for her, she'll do even better.

Attachments

• 20200718_105637.jpg
    20200718_105637.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 93
Back