• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did I do wrong with GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep a small bore brush in your kit. When that happens, run the brush down into the breech clean it up then fire a cap to clear it.
......And then look up the countless threads on this forum referencing what to do about a brush that is now stuck in the bore.šŸ˜‰

Regarding bore brushes and patent breeches: As mentioned above a smaller bore brush., if soundly constructed, will work. However, the main problem with the GPR and T/C is the factory ramrod, whose tips aren't pinned. (Don't ask how I know....!!) Drill and pin such ramrods to avoid a bigger problem and then use a quality range rod for such things. You won't regret it.

I really couldn't say without measuring it. This evening I'll measure it in comparison to a factory one with some calipers. I keep one at factory fit to clean with so it fits tighter when scrubbing the bore, so I have a factory one to compare it to.
I should mention that the style of jag I like to use to turn down is not a button jag, it is the longer ones that the shaft is tapered on so the patch has room to squish down into that area when going down the bore.
I use 2.5" square patches for cleaning in my .54.

In option #3 about how much do you think you removed from the jag?
Ok, measured them up.
The factory size for my unaltered jag I have, all the bands measure .508ā€.
My turned down jag measures .454ā€œ on the front band and the back band is .480ā€.
Be interesting what a standard .50 cal jag measures...perhaps it would work without having to turn one down?

*EDIT*
I just measured a factory .50 cal jag I have, all bands are .432ā€. Probably a touch small.
Finding a jag for a .52 Cal may be pretty close?

Last edited:
For my GPR, I made up an small air hose attachment with an end fitting that threads into the nipple hole. After cleaning, I blast some compressed air through to insure the channel is clear. Fine rifle BTW.

The two biggest problems when wiping between shots on a percussion gun are: #1 people leave the hammer down on the nipple, causing fowling to plug the nipple and #2 using too wet of patch and contaminating the powder.

Stop swabbing between shots. Youā€™re pushing manure into the patent breech.
A proper load, powder, patch, ball, lube, you should be able to shoot all day without swabbing. Youā€™ll need a wet lube.

Ok, measured them up.
The factory size for my unaltered jag I have, all the bands measure .508ā€.
My turned down jag measures .454ā€œ on the front band and the back band is .480ā€.
Be interesting what a standard .50 cal jag measures...perhaps it would work without having to turn one down?

*EDIT*
I just measured a factory .50 cal jag I have, all bands are .432ā€. Probably a touch small.
Finding a jag for a .52 Cal may be pretty close?
Appreciate the info. Thanks!!

I've been shooting T/C & CVA rifles for 25 yrs and swabbed every shot with a damp, not wet patch, down & up and turn patch over and down & up again. No dry patch and no misfires as long as I remember to put powder in, I use a store bought jag.

Use a dampened wad of cloth or tow, tied into a stout cord. push it down loose w/ your rod, then collapse it w/ the rod end/jag, pulling the rod up w/ it. The rod/jag tends to expand it into the rifling & pull out the fouling. Repeat w/ a dry wad to dry the bore & you'rve a clean bore to shoot through.

Wet isn't an issue if you use MAP or alcohol, perhaps the issue is his "moose milk" which I suspect might contain some oil.
oil + powder = gunk
Sorry if I sound kinda thick, but would you mind telling me exactly what is MAP? Thanks and blessings TDP

Back