• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

To sign or NOT to sign, that is the question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks Two Feathers here with an opinion related question?
Recently, I was asked by a member of one of the BP websites; to NOT sign my work for a couple of different reasons. I'm wondering what the consensus of opinion is on that here? I try very hard to do good work and I was proud of that fact, until this? I don't want to come off as arrogant or egotistical, but I thought some folks would like having me sign my work? Maybe I assumed TOO much? In any event, I'd like to know what y'all think about my quandary. I take NO offense at ANY comment regardless of your viewpoint. Comments are welcomed, they are how I decide future actions. I'd like to hear from you folks on this, before I go on signing my wares if the act is undesirable?
If this sounds like me looking for praise, it isn't. I'd like to think that folks know me better than that? I just don't want to offend anyone who spends their hard earned money on my wares/knives, IF they don't want me to burn my Two Feathers signature into the item somewhere? I'll happily stop if it offends folks?
Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your time and comments.
God bless:
Two Feathers

To me, the better quality the item, the more desirable the maker's mark. I have two Scott Summerville knives & his mark is assurance that makes them identifiable as period correct & well made to those who may not be able to make such a call based solely on their own knowledge. If I had a Clay Smith or Mike Brooks gun I would want it signed. "Attributed to" is never as valuable or easy to sell/trade as "made by". The mark need not be large or obvious as "advertising" may even be on the underside of say a sheath or flap. The mark should (IMHO) be done in a period manner.

I made myself a ‘custom’ stamp of my name years ago when I was a toolmaker apprentice and have used it to stamp every woodworking project I have made since (I also date the item). A nephew recently commented on a gift I made for him 30 years ago when he noticed my name on it. He was cleaning it up for his newborn with the intention of it being a Christmas gift this year. He thanked me again and he had never noticed my name before.

Sign your work with pride. It’s part of the item you made.

Curious, what were reasons given for you not to sign your work?

Recently, I was asked by a member of one of the BP websites; to NOT sign my work for a couple of different reasons. I'm wondering what the consensus of opinion is on that here? I try very hard to do good work and I was proud of that fact, until this? I don't want to come off as arrogant or egotistical, but I thought some folks would like having me sign my work? Maybe I assumed TOO much? In any event, I'd like to know what y'all think about my quandary. I take NO offense at ANY comment regardless of your viewpoint. Comments are welcomed, they are how I decide future actions. I'd like to hear from you folks on this, before I go on signing my wares if the act is undesirable?
If this sounds like me looking for praise, it isn't. I'd like to think that folks know me better than that? I just don't want to offend anyone who spends their hard earned money on my wares/knives, IF they don't want me to burn my Two Feathers signature into the item somewhere? I'll happily stop if it offends folks?
God bless:
Two Feathers
I would absolutely prefer that I had one of your signed works. Your signature makes it more valuable to me. Sign on!

God bless:
Two Feathers
If you do it- it's your product.

Gentlemen:
Thank you one and all for your responses. I appreciate each one. These tell me that no one, at least here, is offended by me signing my work. In fact it seems to be quite the opposite?
Thank you again.
God bless:
Two Feathers
If you are still in doubt, do not be. Your signature has value more than you know.

I made myself a ‘custom’ stamp of my name years ago when I was a toolmaker apprentice and have used it to stamp every woodworking project I have made since (I also date the item). A nephew recently commented on a gift I made for him 30 years ago when he noticed my name on it. He was cleaning it up for his newborn with the intention of it being a Christmas gift this year. He thanked me again and he had never noticed my name before.

Sign your work with pride. It’s part of the item you made.

Curious, what were reasons given for you not to sign your work?
SDSMlf:
The gentlemen was actually quite gracious, and in no way belligerent. He simply stated. Some of the stuff that you sell I like, however I would not buy it with the manner that you put "two feathers" on it.
Some of it looks like it is done with a ball point pen or marker? This horn I kinda like, but I would not buy it simply do to the large marking on the wooden plug.
He also stated that I should forgo my signature and raise my prices, because I sell too cheaply. I signed the horn fairly largely on the cap. That probably didn't help, but the guy who bought it liked the signature.
That was his comment.
I replied, In my entire 55 years of doing this, I have NEVER signed anything with a pen,( OK. maybe a few checks), but I know better! Ink will rub off or smear, I only burn my signature in.
Thanks for asking thought. I did not want to embarrass the gentleman who wrote this, so I did not include any identifying information. I hope, if he sees this, that he is not offended? I'm just trying to see if anyone else feels this way?
God bless:
Two Feathers

A small stamped maker's mark on your blades I think is fine. A very small, "by two feathers" on other items, strategically located would be fine, I think. But, if it gets to be so big it is starting to look like decoration, I can see someone not wanting it.

Forum member John Half repaired a very small horn for me recently. He asked if I wanted my name or anything on it. I told him to put my Brokennock moniker ver, very tiny, near the base, but if he did so, to include, "by John Half" so no one would think I made it. Here is the horn, note the scale of his name to the rest of the horn,
20200718_114123.jpg20200718_111406.jpg

For a sense of size, this horn is leaning against a pistol, not a rifle or fowling piece.

I can see what Brokennock is saying. I personally liked the brand you put on my sheath, the image of the actual feathers. If someone commissions the piece, then I guess they can ask what they want, but a makers mark of some kind should be expected as it shows exactly who made it.

Latest posts

Back