• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chamber's or L&R

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I really like the Chamber's round faced lock, but I've had 2 builders tell me they would rather use an L&R because the main spring isn't as stiff and the replacement parts drop right in. What do you think?

I think you are dealing with builders that are getting a price break on L&R locks and charging you full retail. :hmm:

Chambers mainsprings are the way they are, after mfg. several hundred thousand locks, for a reason. %100 reliability. Most people scream because their mainspring does not have enough power!!

My experience is that no one lock is more dificult to disassemble than any other.

As for ease of parts replacement, WHY? Are they expecting the L&R to break?

I have a dozen Siler and Chambers locks floating around this house and the only thing I can remember having to replace was a fly I lost out of a tumbler. Some of them were bought from Bud Siler back in the 80s!

I would go with the Chambers even if the L&R was 25% less expensive. Chambers vs L&R is like a mercedes vs yugo comparison. The only reason IMO to consider an L&R is if Chambers doesn't have the style you require and even then, I'ld sooner make my own.

ghost said:
My experience is that no one lock is more dificult to disassemble than any other.

Perhaps, but ASSEMBLY is a different story IMO. The Chambers round faced english lock is a PITA to assemble due to the relationship between the bridle and the sear spring screw. However, fiddling around with that is a small price to pay for haveing a quality lock. Again, IMO

Cody

Between the two I would always go with Chambers unless I needed a very specific style and could not get it or modify a Chambers to meet that need.

Give me those free L&R locks and I'll make them work.

I'd also consider the Davis round-faced English lock. Because it lacks the pan bridle, it is closer than either the Chambers or the L&R to what was commonly used on most colonial pieces with round-faced English locks. It's a very good lock. The Chambers belongs on a higher-end gentleman's gun, in my opinion, not muskets, general use fowlers or common rifles.

This is going to be a Militia type musket. Sorta like the ERA Militia Musket....

Are you talking about what Chambers calls his round face English lock or what he calls his Virginia lock? Both are basically the same with the Virginia being the plainer of the two. I picked up one of the plain ones for my next project and even without any tuneing it throws a huge shower of sparks and it is much smoother than any L&R I have ever seen for sale. I've never owned an L&R and they may be just fine with some tuneing but right out of the box I think a Chambers wins hands down.

"Are you talking about what Chambers calls his round face English lock or what he calls his Virginia lock?"

Either one....I think the English Lock would look really nice.

I picked the Viginia for two reasons. First it looks more like what would be seen on old American guns with English import locks (the Early Ketland fills this bill even better) and it should be easier to polish. The fancier version however does have a pan cover that should be a little more water resistant and I agree the moldings do look nice.

just some trivia, i have both chambers locks and i like the virginia.. the virginia has a 10 lb cocking weight measured with fish scale, less than three pound trigger pull mounted in gun, and holds 12 grains of powder in the pan.. the round face has 9 pounds of cocking pull, holds 8 grains of powder, and has about three pounds of pull in the gun.. the virginia needs bevel up, and the round face shoots more sparks and works quite abit better with bevel down.. i cant knap the bevel down in the gun, but is somehow self sharpens, and shoots , and shoots, and shoots without sparking flaw,, 25-50 rounds diminishing some after 20-25 rounds,but not delaying iginition.., .then the lfint is wore down and replaced.. the virginia has had countless rounds thru it and i shoot ducks, and cant ever remember it failing on a damp, or snowy, or very cold day, or for 20 rounds or more on good hunting days.. besides that i only needed one part due to my neglegnce, and i got it in about a week or less, for 8 dollars... i think it was a sear.. jims doughter has taken over orders and customer relations, she is great,, and they are doeing all they can to keep thier customers outfitted, happy, and informed.. dave

I notice that the L&R locks need to be tweeked a bit to speed them up....Every thing has it's pluses and minuses and I can't comment on the Chambers lock (I don't doubt the quality).

I like the L&R because of the variety of styles they provide. I dislike that they need to be tuned.

Back