• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early 17th Century Scandinavian Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL

For you arcanine lock enthusiasts here is one of the more interesting, and curious locks I've seen. I won this lock (and two other different ones) in a German auction a couple months ago.
It's in virtually pristine condition. Appears the frizzen has never been struck. There are two threaded holes on the lock plate which tell me the lock was either mounted to a gun, or was prepared to, but never was done (?) Threads look to be in new condition. The Auction description was per the title above. The lock is unmarked. Beautiful chisel work throughout.
Usually these snaplocks are simple in design. But this one is quite innovative. One mainspring operates both the hammer and frizzen. The frizzen has a spring loaded safety feature and a sort of waterproof pan feature. The rear of the hammer has pin that acts as a hinge that doesn't fall off even when the top screw is removed. The square top screw looks like a carry over from the wheellock period. The lock is a forging and is in perfect working order with a strong spring. With the innovations, I'm hesitant to date this lock. But I'm guessing the first half of the 17th Century. We do know these Scandinavian snap locks remained popular for a longer period of time than expected.
Now here's the really curious part: The sear spring and sear catch are one piece. There is no trigger bar or mount for same on the lock plate. And there is no evidence there was one ever made. So how was this lock fired ? Hmmmm. Can you guys figure this out ? Since the lock looks like it was never in use, I wonder if this was just a styling exercise by some locksmith ? But then why bother making threaded holes for mounting ? The lock is certainly very high quality and well made. Picture heavy so you can view the many little details. Thanks for any help.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG
004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
008 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG
010 (Medium).JPG

Fantastic! That lock is a work of art. I've never seen anything like it. First thought was that the top of the trigger (above a pivot) or an intermediate piece would wedge between the lock plate and the sear bar forcing it inward but it looks like the wedge might hit the portion of the sear going into the lock plate before it could move far enough to disengage it.

I wonder why the screw that holds the pan was never cut off flush inside.

Hi Hawkeye

Your thoughts were mine exactly. Maybe for use with some type of strange horizontal moving ball trigger or something ? Duno LOL
Don't know why the pan screw was not cut flush. But notice the early, high domed screw heads. Very cool.

Rick

That's a lovely and unusual lock, Rick!
I wonder what it was meant to be mounted on?
I ask, as I don't think it was mounted ,( like you also surmise)
I also wonder if it was meant to have a little hatchet-shaped wedge type sear?
Please see below;
This one was mounted on a battle-axe combination I believe.
R-Schloß~1545, Dez07, Los 387, GBP 600-800_  IIa kl.jpg

This is of course a wheellock, but the scear -workings is my point.

Trust all is well Rick! Might see you one day when the border opens!

Best,
Richard.

Hi Richard

Thanks so much for that photo. Much appreciated. Yes, the lock is both attractive - and convoluted LOL.
But that pic is a definite help.

Been doing well. Thanks. Hope the same for you. Yes, planning on being up your way early Spring next year - I hope !!

Rick

What a spectacular find! I've never seen anything like this lock.

All those moving parts, so carefully fitted... And even the springs have decorative filework.

Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

The top of the trigger must have been just barely fitted under the angle of the sear. If it fit just under the chisel edge it could pull the sear in enough before it hit.

The frizzen pivoted to one side as a safety. Brian Anderson told me that it was common on these Scandinavian locks.

Fascinating lock; thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back